Omnisphere Multi Timbral Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pnitty1212, May 1, 2016.

1. Pnitty1212

Pnitty1212 Newbie

Maybe I am just tired from staring at this screen for the last 5-6 days straight.. But, I am in Omnisphere 2 in logic os x (el capitan).. I am trying to figure out two things:

1. Is there a way to open one instance of omnisphere 2 as a multi timbral track, and then send that one track out to other auxillary tracks -- and then change the midi on the aux tracks, and within omni -- so that i do not have ot create multiple instances of omni every time i want to create a new instrument (similar to how you would do it kontakt?)..

2. And my second question -- only asking because there HAS to be a way to do this.. I don't even think i have a need for it yet, but in theory, it would be really really cool if i could take one multi-timbral instrument that has (lets say) 5-6 parts to it.. instead of the whole instrument feeding through my DAW as a stereo track, could i make each instrument patch come out individually ? That way, i could manipulate sub-sections of each part of a sound..

Thanks

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

If you click on MULTI under the patch name you'll be shown the different layers of your sound.
    On the left, just above the mute and solo buttons you can select which channel (1-16) you want to use
    In your DAW setup separate tracks for the individual channels you specified in Omnisphere.

I'm on a PC but the routing process should still apply in Logic.

This is in response to the second question.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean with the first..?

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Oh yeah... CH 1 - CH 16 are your MIDI channels and OUT A - OUT H are your AUDIO outputs.

I'm still unsure about your first question but I think STACK mode might be what you need.
    Keep in mind:

All of the Parts in STACK MODE respond to a single MIDI Channel, even if the Parts are assigned to different MIDI Channels on the Mixer page. Use the MIDI Channel menu to choose which MIDI Channel STACK MODE will respond to.

For your reference

5. Pnitty1212

Pnitty1212 Newbie

Pink man! thanks for your reply.. had to step out for a minute. I kind of figured that it was it is, i guess I am spoiled from using Kontakt .. What i was referring to with my first question: in kontakt i can open up logic and set it to multi-timbral (and lets say set it up to like 8 multi-timbral tracks). This means the session opens up with an instance of kontakt open on the first track. Then, i can go to the next track and change the midi channel to 2, and track 2 in logic will capture that midi information.. (without me having to open up another trakc, open up another omnisphere and add stress to my sound engine).. What i was REALLY hoping for with omnisphere.. In Kontakt, i can then go to my Logic Mixing output.. Find that that audio track that the kontakt plug in (and all succeeding tracks are pulling from), and hit the "+" button.. which basically makes kontakt auxillary tracks that pull from the kontakt machine.. but i can go back into the kontakt player and create a different instrument for each one of those auxillaries.. and i can add plug ins seperately to each, and adjust volume individually..

I guess a work around in omnisphere might have to be bouncing the midi region to audio, and then saving each patch of midi very carefully, so i dont have to keep opening up different omnispheres..

If someone has better ideas (which i am sure they do), please assist!

Thanks

6. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

Pinkman did just answer perfectly to this question. In Multi Mode, you can choose how many MIDI and AUDIO track you want. You can send your 8 parts (or patches) each to a MIDI track and each to an AUDIO track, e.g.: "PATCH 1 - CH.MIDI 7 - OUT B". But, surely, you have to activate the outputs of the VSTi (so that it becomes MULTI OUTPUT - multitimbral is not right, I think) from the DAW, but I'm a Cubase user so I do not know how does this work in Logic (I mean, the activating of the multiout of a VSTi).

7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Kontakt has MIDI out capabilities.
    As far as I know Omnisphere doesn't.

This is one of the reasons I prefer to work in Kontakt.
    That and the scripts.

You can send as much MIDI as you want into Omnisphere but you can't really record what comes back out unless it's audio or are willing to do some audio-MIDI conversion or maybe even get a MIDI CC chain going. Neither of those options work like obtaining true MIDI OUT data though.

I would setup multiple MIDI channels in separate tracks in my DAW with the patterns I want to play and then save and switch out patches in the Multi as I go and record the audio. This way you only have one instance of Omnisphere open and all your MIDI data too.
    Unless, of course, you're trying to record Omni's ARP data...
    If you are...I feel you, bud.
    Try some cream.

Or route Omnisphere's audio into Reaktor and never look back.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

That's a concept I hadn't considered before. Simple, but mouth watering. I cant wait to try it.