Omnisphere crash on external SSD [solved]

Discussion in 'Omnisphere' started by Gavim, Jun 18, 2023.

1. Gavim

Gavim Newbie

I am having an issue where omnisphere crashes randomly when browsing presets. Sometimes it will just crash other times it will freeze until it loads the sound and sometimes it just doesn’t play sound at all. I am using a Samsung 970 evo inside a Sabrent usb enclosure. I am almost certain it has something to do with the drive because when I load the steam library on my internal drive I don’t seem to have any issues but the problem is hard to reproduce so I can’t be 100% sure.

I need to use the library on my external drive so I can save space on my internal.

I am on macOS Ventura running on MacBook Pro 14 M1.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

what filesystem format ? APFS or exFat ?

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

When I use my laptop, I have /Steam running from a HDD external. So SSD's higher speed isn't even necessary for it to work correctly. But I think you are correct in your thinking that the problem is being caused by that external drive. I noticed when I looked at 970 Evo drive, it makes mention of it coming with it's own complete Software Suite. Do you have software from Samsung running this drive, or controlling it somehow?

I do not remember setting my laptop up to use a symlink (symbolic link) to the Steam Folder, but that could also be worth looking into also. :dunno:

5. Gavim

Gavim Newbie

APFS

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Gavim

Gavim Newbie

They don’t have software for Mac. There is a symbolic link/Alias in the default location but I’m pretty sure it does that when you select a new location. I’ll check and see though.

7. Gavim

Gavim Newbie

Best Answer
    So I think I have solved the issue. What I did was first delete the alias referencing the STEAM folder in the default location. I deleted all zmap.index files in Steam folder, reinstalled all latest STEAM updates; soundsource and patch libraries and refreshed the browser and now it seems to not crash.
    Took a lot of thinking and researching but I believe this fixed it.

I had originally copied the steam folder from my windows machine over to my mac so I did not have to download it so maybe the indexs and paths it was referencing was causing crashes.

Thanks for your help though guys.