Omnisphere 2.8.2c taking an absolute age to open! Is this normal?!

Discussion in 'Omnisphere' started by Bunford, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I've just installed some Spectrasonics stuff from the sistes site. Trillian, Keyscape and Stylus RMX all take a few seconds longer than other plugins, but isn't too long. However, Omnisphere takes an absolute age to open, normally into the several minutes.

This happens with the VST3 and the standalone version. They're installed on an NVME SSD C: drive, but the STEAM folder is on a HDD D: drive. I can't see it being that that's the issue though because Trillian and Keyscape use the same STEAM folder and the Stylus RMS's SAGE folder is in the same location too.

Is this just normal? Or is there something potentially wrong with my install?

3. Kubrickk

Kubrickk Member

Honestly I remember it taking like 15 minutes the first time I started after installation

4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You need a SSD then Omnisphere also loads faster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

there's definitely something "wrong" with it, unless you want it taking ex: 5 minutes to open every time. The question is what you can do about it at this point.

The more libraries and things you add, it will slow down. But what you are describing seems really excessive. If I had this on an external drive and it was "working" like you describe, I wouldn't use it. If it was affecting other things too, I would probably go so far as to unmount the drive.

6. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Even on SSD (in my case, a SSD SATA 3 Samsung 860 QVO, 1 TB), first run (from standalone) tooks around 10~12 minutes, but it's normal, because Omnisphere's database creation. When done, any preset load very fast.

7. Alin

Alin Newbie

That's probably because of the btc miner that came bundled with the Omnisphere from sister site

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Better you use the following links to optimize your computer for music production.

1.) Don't let audio glitches ruin your performances! www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
    1.) The Ultimate Guide to Optimize your Windows PC for the Stage
    https://gigperformer.com/docs/ultimate-guide-to-optimize-windows-for-stage/index.html
    2.) LatencyMon 7.00
    The LatencyMon software analyzes and identifies which device, which driver or which service is causing audio dropouts or malfunctions. Real-time audio suitability checker for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/2016/2012/2008 (x86 and x64)
    Scroll Down to: System Monitoring Tools www.resplendence.com/downloads
    3.) Native Instruments - Windows Tuning Tips for Audio Processing
    https://support.native-instruments....1729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing
    4.) PreSonus - Optimizing Your Computer for Audio - Windows 10
    https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-...Optimizing-Your-Computer-for-Audio-Windows-10
    5.) Ableton - Optimizing Windows for Audio
    https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071469-Optimizing-Windows-for-Audio
    6.) FL Studio - Optimizing FL Studio performance
    www.image-line.com/fl-studio-learning/fl-studio-online-manual/html/app_opt.htm
    7.) Steinberg - Windows: How to set-up and optimize a Digital Audio Workstation
    https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/...t-up-and-optimize-a-Digital-Audio-Workstation
    8.) Focusrite - Optimising your PC for Audio on Windows 10
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Open a notepad file

Type this –NoVstStartupScan

save as Options.txt

Copy and paste the file to

C:\Users\(Current User)\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 10.1.14\Preferences

for other versions, the preferences folder could be elsewhere.. someone on version 11 etc might be able to offer help there..

This will stop ableton from scanning VST every time it opens so you'll need to manually scan when you add something otherwise it wont find them..

But it should open infinity quicker.

The computer I'm using came out whilst they were still using horse drawn carriages, with 8gb RAM, yet Ableton loads in about 30 seconds (Except for the first time I use it after rebooting- this takes about 1 to 2 minutes)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

NoVstStartupScan is no longer a valid command in options.txt file after updating to 11.1

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

He does not "NEED" an SSD, so long as his HDD is 7200+ RPM and the HDD & system are working properly.
    Many thousands of people are using HDDs and don't have excessively long load times.
    Having the library on SSD is nice, but having it on HDD is not causing the problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Oh, wow.
    I missed where he said that Ableton Live was taking a long time to open.
    I thought this was about Omnisphere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

15. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Not to make light of anyone's experience with Omnishphere but, I, have personally never had any serious issues that were not user based.
    Generally missing an upgrade step for one of the main elements (library, patches, engine).

Installed the latest release without issue (installed, restarted system). Had sounds available immediately.

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

we have gotten very loose with the term "Exactly like" in this audio thing. Someone like me, will say to this guy; I'm running a legit copy of 2.8 on a MacBook Pro and external 4tb hdd connected via usb-3/tb3. Other than that, it's exactly the same Omnisphere 2.8; right?

no, but my comment is not useless entirely. it is not running *anything* like yours. there is no reason for it to be running so drastically different. seconds, a minute difference, whatever. You are talking about enough time to get up and walk away from your DAW. :sad:

The first thing I would do would be to just try another usb cable to the external drive. correct spec and short if possible.

If I had to remove anything it would be the other two products first.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

All those things are great to do, but may be a distraction from the root problem.
    Some performance issue MAY be causing this, but if the other products are working fine and DAW running well, then it is probably something specific to Omnisphere.

Here is a sampling of the posts regarding Omnisphere slow load times.
    omnisphere load times site:audiosex.pro
    Many are about patch loading times and may be irrelevant, so focus on those that match your problem best.
    Alter the search to narrow to your problem by adding quote marks around required terms.

To better help others help you, give your OS and some computer specs, just in case. That is always a good ..

And ..are you using external HDD?
    If so, the comment by clone may be important.

18. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I'm still using 10.1.14 so didn't know, thank you for updating me.

19. Sylenth.Will.Fall

:)) DAMNN!!!!!!!! That's what comes from being on here at 1.00 am lol

20. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

What hardware do you have - please provide some more data. Can you stop the time?

User @Bunford, has very frequent problems with his system, so I advised him to optimise his PC for music production, then with the abundance of presets, especially with Spectrasonics, you should buy an SSD, so you increase the loading times and increase the overall performance. User errors and a badly configured graphics card and many processes running alongside, incorrectly set CPU in the BIOS, are often the cause of many errors. Or the system is too old and not powerful enough to meet modern requirements.

21. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Ok, so this is resolved mow. It seemed to be impatience due to first loads/database creation. It took several minutes (as in 10+ minutes) and I force closed thinking the DAW was crashed. I let it load for longer whilst I popped out and when I came back it was opened and all worked fine. Since then, re-opening in new sessions and other DAWs opens within 10-20 seconds, which I'm more tolerant of!

So, in short, nothing to do with user error, needing SSDs, VST scans or the like, just an impatient person at the helm :rofl: