Oli Larkin releases VirtualCZ a Casio CZ series VSTi emulation

Discussion in 'Software News' started by SineWave, Sep 13, 2014.

1. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

This could sound really good! Phase Distortion synthesis is cool. Rather similar to FM. I used to own Casio CZ-1000. It's really great for weird FX and just unusual sounds in general.

Key Features:

- Recreates the unique synthesis engine of the CZ synths (it models the flagship CZ-1 but does all the other ones too!)
    - Works as a SYSEX editor/librarian for all CZ hardware as well as an emulation
    - MSEG Envelope
    - 2 Phase Distortion oscillators per voice (each has 8 wave shapes, which can be different for alternate cycles)
    - 6 loop-able envelope generators per voice (switchable between easy-to-use ADSR and powerful 8-Stage MSEG mode)
    - Tempo sync-able LFO for vibrato, with 7 shapes
    - Ring Modulation and Noise Modulation
    - 32 voice polyphonic/mono/legato modes
    - Unison and detuning effects
    - Stereo panning effects
    - Send Sysex
    - Vintage stereo chorus/ensemble effect
    - Microtonal tuning support
    - Easy to use interface: all key synthesis functions accessible on the front panel
    - Import/export presets for all plugin formats & cross-format preset browser
    - Includes over 200 high quality presets plus ability to load thousands of CZ patches online
    - Available for OSX and Windows in Standalone, VST2, VST3, Audiounit and AAX formats

[​IMG]

Link: http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/index.php?p=virtualcz

I love it already! :wink: Cheers! :mates:

p.s. I checked the Plugin Boutique website and it still hasn't been released but on the Oli Larkin's website it says "Coming September 2014"

3. turbion

turbion Noisemaker

I had a cz1000 and cz5000 !!!! I miss them!!! will try this one. THANKSSSS FOR SHARING!!

4. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Great news ?? !!! I had a CZ 5000 ages ago. It was a pretty capable synth, even if all my friends look at me thinking: " Casio synth, WTF, aint their watch maker? why dont you have a DX7 like every body?"
    But I ended up doing music for a SiFi film with it so every body just shut up after that. :rofl:
    These synths didnt had a powerful bass sound but their PD (Phase distortion) tech allow a good bunch of work.
    Alright I recon, I bought a TX802 later on...

5. nadirtozenith

nadirtozenith Rock Star

navigating between nadir zenith vectoring upwards
    hello, SineWave, hello, all,

thanks for the news, will test it... *yes*

really not to push down this one, but when, if, this cz emulation still, somehow, is not enough, there exists one instrument, developed in somewhat more widely thought out ways, called bazille, by urs heckmann... *yes*

there is no affiliation here, just adore that instrument, its capabilities, most completely, that is why the plugging of it... *yes*

all the best for all of us (and then some more, of course)... :bow:

6. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

There are many other PD synths available, names I cannot remember.
    Search KVRAudio.com

7. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

PMIX seams good too :wink:

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes there are, but interesting thing about the Casio CZ series is that it was not clean, their always be some dirt, noisy, probably because the digital osc didn't had the definition we use today.

9. nadirtozenith

nadirtozenith Rock Star

navigating between nadir zenith vectoring upwards
    hello, Olymoon, hello, all,

yes, these series were the most affected by aliasing etc. artifacts... *yes*

also this was, is, exactly why one might be in search for such timbres... :wink:

all the best for all of us... :bow:

10. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I love phase distortion, like i detest additive synthesis :rofl:
    And i tested all virtual synths in this domain.
    I want grit, dirt from CZ. You can get really twisted sounds.

PS : KVR search engine sucks. It gives you too much results. There are much less real phase distortion VI synths.
    Here are some, with freewares :
    http://www.gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=23
    http://www.tubeohm.com/TubeOhm/Phasewave.html (listen to soundcloud examples)
    http://www.extentofthejam.com/

11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I use Sonic Assault's Kassiopeia, Casiopea by Marvin VST and I played some with Digits... I get some interesting sounds out of them, but I'm not really satisfied with any of them. I'm excited about VirtualCZ because VirtualCZ could finally be a really usable and versatile phase distortion synth that is not made with SynthEdit, and I suspect quite more similar to the original than these. Fingers crossed! :wink:

Cheers! :mates: