Oldies But Goldies (Vintage Gear & Hi-Fi)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Olymoon, Feb 12, 2022.

1. clone

clone Audiosexual

For me was the 5050!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  2. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Cubase 5 AIR. :hillbilly:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

:goodpost:

4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

The day of the World Trade Center Bombing in 1993 I was supposed to visit my dad for lunch in the mall under the buildings and would we would both had been there if not for a random phone call of a fellow who wanted to write some music with me who lived on 65 Street and 5th Ave. When I got there we recorded on his Tascam 388 Studio 8. It might just have saved our lives.

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

How are you bypassing the converters when you use CF Cards to load samples into memory instead of SCSI harddrives? Makes no sense or am I misunderstanding you?

6. synths4grins

synths4grins Producer

I don't know how popular these were, but Korg had these modules on the market in the 80s. I was visiting New York city and Sam Ash had them on sale at a very low price. I replaced them with other Korgs later. Orchestra on the cheap back then.

Korg Symphony.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  7. clone

clone Audiosexual

they both do/can. you are bypassing the Analog to Digital conversion, by loading a digital sample directly into memory. That will result in only a Digital to Analog conversion being performed by the sampler during audio output. (or you do something else digitally with it to save/export as data). All those different details make various units worth very different amounts of money. Seemingly for no reason other than low production numbers sometimes. Or someone famous uses one, etc. But some of them can be specific to someones workflow with their other machines, too.

Check out the prices and capabilities of the s900/950/1000 compared to the 2000 and then the 3000. the 2000 and 2800 are the ugly duckling when it comes to resale, actually. they are slower. the SCSI was not standard on the 2800, it was optional card. otherwise it is functionally identical to the 3000. 3000s always go for more than 2000s. and 1000 or lower go more than any of them. I'm not sure anyone thinks they are junk though. :dunno:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • List
  8. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Couple of gems in this one. This was my studio back in the late 2k's when I mainly worked with rack gear:

In the rack:

1. MOTU Midi Express 128
    2. Yamaha Motif ES Rack expanded (PLG150-DX, PLG150-AN)
    3. Yamaha FS1R
    4. Yamaha TG500
    5. Yamaha A4000
    6. Electrix Filter Factory

Those NS10's have a funny story behind them. I purchased them on an ebay auction supposedly new but when they arrived they were destroyed. Got refunded for the purchase but the guy told me to keep them because they were essentially useless as the cones and wood were damaged. I ended up buying a new set of woofers and hired a guy to fix the body but he convinced me to customize them a bit so I had him paint them in the exact color of my nord lead (not pictured here). They came out pretty sweet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  9. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Alesis QS6.1 - My first "pro" synth, purchased at Guitar Center in 1999 after having it on layaway for 2 months lol

Lovely workstation and excellent for pads/atmos/fx

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  10. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

my next entry would have been Alesis QS6!:wink:

11. line.input

line.input Ultrasonic

I used to have it. A really nice piece of hardware indeed.

12. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

But if you load it from SCSI there also happens no Analog to Digital conversion because the audio file also written in 0's and 1's on the harddrive
    , right?
    In both cases you can just use the Analog In and sample your entire library on the drive, it has nothing to do with the type of hard drive.

13. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Those Roland modules were secret weapons few people picked up on. Part of the problem was probably that you had to have some MIDI kung fu to get into them and change any parameters and the manias were atrocious.

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

Let's get back to Deceptive's original topic. If you want to discuss S-Series samplers more in-depth, a thread about them already exists. :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • List
  15. clone

clone Audiosexual

16. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

I owned the K1m many years ago, with the matching sequencer with the 3.5" floppy disk drive!

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think "See honey, I sold some shit" is why Keyboard versions of everything are so much easier to find. You see the K1 often, I have known about the k1m for a long time and have never seen one of them in person. K1r are "findable". That 1m was like a Nuke Controller. lol

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

Without question. I have a general rule about "found" stuff, because so often they do not have the appropriate power adapter available with the device. If it is something you want to buy and cannot test it, just assume it is dead unless proven otherwise right? I'd gamble $100 bucks on something if I thought I could easily get 200 for it as it stands dead. "for parts only/junk". often things are easier or cheaper to fix than the seller thinks and you make a good profit. or it is junk and you paid the "for parts price", so you do not lose money. maybe someone even can save a device with those parts because someone decided not to stick them into a landfill.

19. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

100% Agree !

20. Dmotr Softor

Dmotr Softor Kapellmeister

Roland SH-32 - Sound Demo HD

[/QUOTE]
    Yes! One of my favs!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List