Old version Pro Tools raises the temperature of the microprocessor a lot

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ryck, Jun 11, 2022.

1. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Hey guys, how are you? I just installed this version of Pro Tools Avid.Pro.Tools.HD.v12.3.1.88512.WIN.x64.READ.NFO-AudioUTOPiA, because I wanted to test a feature of the program. I had it saved on a drive from a long time ago. And I had a very strange problem. The microprocessor of my PC began to raise a lot of temperature from 36C, which is usually at rest, it went to 68C. And this is weird because it doesn't happen to me with any other program (Studio one, cubase, nuendo, etc). I wanted to know if someone had already experienced this, to find out if it is specific to the program or if it is this version to download another. Thanks in advance

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

If this is without Pro Tools running, there are extra services running in the background. Such as:
    • digiSPTIService64
    • Digidesign MME Refresh Service
    • PACE License services
    • Apple Bounjour Service
    • Apple Quicktime related services
    Has your OS been optimized for maximum performance? (unneeded Windows services turned off/disabled, Power Management, etc...)

Also. Pro tools 12.5 is the earliest version that should be installed. Better behavior overall.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  4. zalbadar

zalbadar Ultrasonic

Sounds like the method to get round the softwares protection hasn't been to remove it but instead to put it into a loop.

I'm only guessing but I often have this when the program uses edititing the Windows Host file and adds the 127.0.0.1 to get round the protection.

In the past this would have simply slowed your PC as what is happening is as every so often a thread would run through the CPU that is asking for something that is then being redirected to a location where it isn't located. As it isn't found, the CPU then loads the thread to the back of the cue to be reloaded into the CPU and checked again.

As the newer CPU have more cores these redundant copy protection threads are handled faster and if it can get a dedicated core, repeatedly. CPU performs the task of looking and failing faster, so repeats ot faster and therefore continues the cycle faster generating more heat.

It's harmless but a waste of power, both processing power and electrical power.