Old Projects sound different?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by xsound, Mar 1, 2020.

1. xsound

xsound Noisemaker

Dear Members of Forum,

I do have a strange problem with one particular project (the other projects are loading correctly everything). Project was created in 2017 with many other ones but seems that something wrong happened. I do have a mp3 version of this project rendered straight from FLS (version 11). It sounds different! I checked and some plugins lost its settings. Problem is visible with LFOTool and just take a look here:
    scc.JPG

It's completely random, like the project did not remember the settings.

I tried reinstalling plugins and their different versions (older), FLS itself (with another versions as well), checked on another computer the project but its loading the same way! And two years ago I opened it without a problem and made a render (there are few versions of this project (like 40) and each have this problem). The Other songs I made i 2017/2018 all the projects load without this issue.
    What could be wrong with the file?
    The funny thing, on one channel on mixer LFOTool is loading properly:
    OK.JPG

As the solutions I tried seems to not change anything, I wonder if there is any program that can open the project and show me versions of plugins used (is that information even stored in .fls file ? )

3. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@xsound Open the .FLP file with NotePad + and you will see the list of plugins used with their versions and respective presets.

4. lancexx

lancexx Producer

Something similar to your situation was discussed a while back on the official forums, I'm pretty sure it was fixed with the 12.5 beta or the fl20 launch.

5. Acid

Acid Ultrasonic

I use studio one so can't be of much help but ! always save the preset of everything used in the project, synths & fx, keep the presets in the folder with the project files. That way you have access to them if any vst's in the project "forget" their settings, can easily happen if you update your vst's with newer versions etc.

6. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

best suggestion I have is to try to reinstall the old version of the DAW you used during that project and see if it "remember" the settings. If it do remember the plugin setting (save the settings inside the plugin as a user preset) then try and save the whole project with another name. Then reinstall the new version of DAW and try and open the project. You should then at least be able to upload the user preset in the plugin

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  7. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

That's also what I would say. Had the same problem with a lot of old projects.
    That's why I have every version of FL Studio which I used for Projects on my Disk from 3.5.5 to 20.6.2.
    Some versions even give out errors for specific plugins while they work perfectly in other versions.

If you don't have the version anymore you used, just tell me.
    I can help you out there.

And as said before, when you want to know what version you used exactly,
    just open the project in a hex or text editor and you'll see it in the first lines.

[​IMG]

8. xsound

xsound Noisemaker

Thank you all for replies and ideas! Used notepad ++ and apparently it was version 11.1.0 and i tried with 11.1.1 both pc and laptop. In changelog I can see "Wrapper: fixed volume of stereo to mono conversion" call me crazy but I can hear Mix sounds different even if it's similar.. Tomorrow gonna try this version to load project.

I couldn't see version of lfotool in the notepad, besides wrapper and lfotool had strange NUL values and other..maybe I need to check other hex editors.

Thank you once again for the direction to go!

9. xsound

xsound Noisemaker

Unfortunately, I went back to the FL v11.1.0 and tried all the versions of LFOTool I could find but without success - still the same - these settings are not loaded... No idea why just at this project and not just locally (tried on different computers) but rendered versions in 2017 loaded all fine and I can hear results of these LFO working correctly on rendered mp3 file (so I quite can't assume that file itself is corrupted. Then how it was magically working back in 2017?

Is there any way I could see in notepad++ the settings of lfo tools? For example I can see settings of some plugins like Alchemy, Zebra but near LFOTool everywhere I get these NUL values (00 i guess). Does that mean that plugin encrypt somehow these settings?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020