Ok, I need some thoughts about getting a Muse-esque sound

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Bunford, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have a friend who wants to record some demos for himself and I said he can use my stuff. He then went on to the inevitable "can you give us a hand with it then?"

When I asked what sort of stuff he described it as not Muse-like, but he imagines the sounds to be similar to Muse. Don't ask me! I think he means in terms of the sound they have and being able to fill everything out from their 3 instruments. Anyway, I know Chris Lord Alge has done some recent Muse stuff, but also that they can be quite out there in terms of effects and so on.

Considering he is largely a bassist, and plays a bit of guitar, he wants me to put some drums onto his tracks too.

Where would you start? I guess I'm needing to try and work out a 'generic' Muse sound and try and get a guitars, drums and bass sound from that, though I'm hoping he has the bass one sorted as he is a bassist....but I wouldn't put him past him to not have! :rofl:

For anyone not familiar with the band, here is what their live sound is (which I think he is wanting to get somewhere in the ball park of):

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  3. The easy and quick answer is to spread out the guitar, recording in stereo two complimentary and independent effect lines that has some movement and play between the two sides, a tiny delay to make it big and wide. The kit is to be spread around and the bass pans slightly. Everything is swirly and everything is kept interesting, nothing static that the mind can become bored and complacent, like looking at a masterful painting where the eye notices new details as it scans the surface.

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Uf, I'm afraid he's asking you to do studio Muse-like sound, and that is extremely hard.

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Cheers for that. This is kinda what I was already thinking as no single bar of their tracks seems to be the same!

PS good to see you back. Not sure if you've been back a while, but only now noticing a post :wink:

6. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

yes... @superliquidsunshine welcome back.. waxing lyrical as ever about the joys of production..and sound sculpting..

à votre santé :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This was a clear like at the very least.

But this was so beautiful I couldn't help but change my rating. But in my mind both rates stay

So true, dear Herr Durr.