Oh shit... NI debutes MASCHINE JAM

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by aymat, Sep 8, 2016.

1. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Right off the bat, I gotta say... the layout seems clearer than Push/Push 2. But I'm married to that damn thing. You couldn't pay me to give up my Push 2. Great price point on this though.

edit: dual-touch strips too. Nice touch (scuse the dumb pun). My biggest complaint with Push 2 is the touch strip sucks and there's only one so it's a bit of a hassle switching from mod to pitch bend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Pitchr

Pitchr Newbie

The advanced step sequencing stuff looks interesting, like being able to draw in different notes for one instrument. At the same time, that's pretty much the only thing I can't do with my Maschine Studio (+ the smart strip stuff, I guess, but it seems like you could do the same things by automating some knobs), and for that it's a bit expensive :D.

It also comes with an Ableton Live template, so you could probably use it as an alternative to Push. However, personally I'd still go for a Push 2, even if it costs a bit more, as it's definitely easier to control Live's effects and instruments with that one.

• List
  5. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

Instant Buy for me in 3 weeks :)

6. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

they want a cool grand for it? I hope not.. :bleh:

7. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

I'm appalled at the mere size of NI's balls. To think that they can run down on Ableton and their Push realm. Appalled! lol. Is Native Instr. feeling THAT cocky out here? I'm not praising or bashing, but I'm just appalled.

• List
  8. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

I found it a bit interesting that they would move that route but then again that just seems like the natural progression of how tools are built and improved on. Someone will always try to improve on a good idea. Personally, I think that's a good thing. How this will fit within NI's spectrum is something I'm quite interested in seeing. NI being NI, I'm sure they've done quite a bit of market research so my guess is it will do quite well and fill some gap between producers/performers which was previously untapped for them.

9. statik

statik Audiosexual

sounds like it's time for a divorce

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

well, this is the closest that native instruments has ever come to offering a product with faders. so there's that.

11. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

No thanks! This one doesn't even have a screen of any kind and seems like more of an add-on to Maschine rather than a new one not to mention the drum pad sequencing looks awkward as fuck. It's not gonna sway too many of the Maschine's original fan base who are more about finding a MPC replacement not another step sequencer and this doesn't even come close to being as usable as the Push 2 either as hardware or the fact that its integrated into Ableton a fully functional DAW. NI managed to create new hardware before even addressing the issue of the MIDI outs in its plugin mode resetting every time you change a drum kit. What does this do that the Novation Launchpad can't do already without being attached to Maschine for a whole lot less? I'll definitely pass on this one . . .

Maybe, I'll pick one up used when the newness factor has worn off and tanks.

12. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

In good news this might make the Push 2 cheaper for a minute in a push to keep their hardware competitive.

13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

debut price comes in at $399... vs. $799 for the Push 2 .. considerable...especially if the Jam competes in terms
    of functionality.... watch out Ableton !

14. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

Last joke (for now) . . . I wonder if this will have full NBA Jam integration!?

15. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Push2 was only dedicated to Live whereas this one can work with any Daw which should be a huge advantage for NI over Ableton.

The price tag is also appealing but it remains to be seen how useful is this new toy.

16. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

17. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@Moogerfooger with you on that... got burned 1st with the MPD 26, bought new... with SUPER shitty pad response..
    I did the mod myself.. but it sits there, because my used padKontrol just works so much better, pad response, and
    very light, x-y pad etc.. so when I decided finally to try maschine.. it was a USED mk1... for $140...

I often end up feeling like a chump when I buy hyped stuff new...
    when it's lightly used..and a LOT less money.. I don't feel so bad !

the Jam at half the price has that part of the battle won by far.. I still won't be running out to plunk down for it

what kind of midi-keyboard do you favor now ?

18. davea

davea Platinum Record

In french for lazy guys like me, without enough coffee ;-)

19. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

After seeing a few videos... I'm pretty intrigued, but not that impressed. If this is supposed to compete with Push/Push 2, then half price is about right, because if you're using this in Live, you lose out on an awful lot, even from Push 1. I guess it's supposed to be more of a supplement to a regular Maschine/Maschine Studio to make it behave more like Push.

Still, even though I can easily make the argument that Push is worth its price tag, Ableton's prices have always been, in my opinion, unattractive to new customers. I said as much in one of their surveys. With S1, FL, and Bitwig all offering frills-and-all versions of comparable DAWs around $300, it's hard to recommend $800 Live Suite to anyone on a budget. And even harder to recommend $400 Live Standard to anybody at all, considering the lack of Sampler, Operator, Analog, multiband comp (i think), amp, glue, etc. I can understand the third party exclusions but Live is a bit crippled without Sampler and Operator, and IMO essential devices made by Ableton should not be behind an additional pay wall if the standard edition is $400.

Roundabout way of saying, this is kind of what they get for charging so much.

20. LHO

LHO Ultrasonic

I see how this makes more sense from a marketing/business perspective, but imagine how dope it would've been if instead they had developed/released a "controller-mothership" that features Maschine's control interface + screens + potis, the S61 keyboard and the pad-matrix from the Jam. Hell, they could even release an extended version which features a 8in/8out audio interface and a mixing interface like Softube's console 1. Instant winner.

As for the Jam alone, it looks nice but barely feels innovative. Probably useful nonetheless.

21. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer