Official Library Updates and UnOfficial Versions

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by feaster, Mar 28, 2022.

1. feaster

feaster Noisemaker

Hey all,

I have a question about Sample Library updates that come pre-packaged as installers. Often, when trying to use those, I get a "library not installed" message when running the updater. This is because I merely dragged the library over to my drive and used a Scene version of Kontakt to add it to the library.

My solution to this has been to unrar the updater .exe file and manually drag the updated files to their correct locations...if I cant find them.

This brings up a few questions.

1. Where do I drag the updated .xml file included in the updater?
    2. Is there an easier way to determine where stuff goes (the folder structure of the updater is less than simple)
    and....[most importantly]
    3. Is there a way to trick the system into thinking that the library is installed so that i could just run the installer and avoid this whole rigmarole?

3. Talula

Talula Rock Star

if the update is installed using the installer, then the library itself is installed using the installer too.
    what specific library are you talking about?

to the same folder where the rest of the xml files of the installed libraries are located.

yes it is possible. download libraries from trusted places and install according to the instructions in the release.

4. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

I had the same issue.
    After unraring the update installer .exe into a folder I searched for all files with *.* and sorted by type.
    The structure in the unrar'd folder is a total mess with a randomly named folder for each file. :sad:

I made backup copies of the files I was going to replace (nicnt, nki, nkc, nkr), then copied over with the new ones.
    I don't know if it's perfect, but the updated instrument loads and seems to work properly. If using an unlocked version you don't need to worry about the library being officially installed. Some instruments might be more complicated than others, but it's worth a shot as long as you can reinstall if things go south. :wink:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022