Odd bug with a 64 bit version of a plugin (Alchemy)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nogale, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Nogale

Nogale Member

so i got this badass plugin from Camel Audio: Alchemy, sadly the company got bought by apple and went to be a logic only vst (crappy) and well, basically theres no way of getting help from them anyways. so what happens is that i installed it very fine,and the 32 bit version shows up in FL when using the plugin scan, but the 64 bit version throws this runtime error: peanus.png

and i've tried several things: from trying to scan it in 32 and 64 bit, to reinstalling the c++ library, but it still doesnt want to work. i've seen that a lot of people have had this issue in the past, but yeah, i never found an answer to it.
    what could i do?!

3. Nogale

Nogale Member

well,it seems nobody knows?

4. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

i have that 64 bit of alchemy

to be honest with you my friend ,this plugin is not stable AT ALL
    last year i ran in to few crashes with v 1.55 fom VR ,and some suggested i try that CM version from that computer music magazine
    i have no idea if that version was v1.25 or v1.50 ,but that CM version was very stable (also no idea about which bit was that CM version)
    then my pc had alot of unrelated issues so i had to format everything and rebuilt my DAW and plugins

then i reinstalled that VR version again and played some presets and everything seems working fine strangly
    but sometimes it hang for a second or 2 while going through its artists presets/ banks and sometimes its instant

i can suggest you stay on 32bit and use Jbridge (if you tried that app to bridge 32bit plugins to 64 bit inside your 64bit DAW before)
    theres a tutorial about how to use jbridge on google/youtube ,

good luck nogale

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. demha

demha Producer

I have a solution for this issue. I have tested every single preset with Alchemy v1.55.CE.R5-V.R on FL studio 20.6.2 All work without any issues, but for it to work theres a custom installation and run solution. Some older presets were modified and patched as they dont have the tag feature of 1.55.

Does it throw the runtime error when scanning the "plugin" or the "presets" in the plugin?

Do you have all the librarys Installed? Size of my total libraries is 22.3GB which includes 3rd party ones with my custom images too.

See this https://www100.zippyshare.com/v/sV3S5ifM/file.html with your name Nogle in Regis. :)

If you dont have all, what are the librarys you have installed, default?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  6. Nogale

Nogale Member

it throws the error when scanning the plugin, and my library is 15gb (all of the Camel audio ones) also,why did you have my name on the plugin lol?

7. Nogale

Nogale Member

yeah at this point i think i should just use jbridge, thank you anyways.

8. demha

demha Producer

No reason. Just thought it would show you how it would be if it worked for you. Anyways Ill Pm you the dlls which works. Including the instructions. You need to have the player version of Alchemy 1.55 also to make it work.

Notes:

*you cannot scan presets in full 1.55 (crashes DAW) So you must use "player version" first if want all your presets to load properly.
    Load alchemy player in daw let it scan. Once finished close daw. And remove the player version manually by moving it and replace the dll with the non player one.

1) C:\ProgramData\Camel Audio\Alchemy this folder must be there with the AlchemyConfig.txt and
    Alchemy_Preset_Ratings_And_Tags
    2) In the vst plugin folders make sure the two shortcuts "AlchemyData" and "Alchemy Configuration" point to the correct location of your data hdd choice. If this is not done then AlchemyLog.txt will be generated in the default location.
    3)The following files need not be there they will be first generated once but with "player version" dll.
    mainpath=C:\ProgramData\Camel Audio\Alchemy
    -Alchemy_Preset_Ratings_And_Tags
    -Alchemy_Preset_Ratings_And_Tags.bak
    -AlchemyConfig.txt
    4) If you want your name changed in the interface, open AlchemyConfig.txt and edit
    NameOverride=YOURNAME

To avoid the crash and reset the database you can delete the
    - Alchemy_Preset_Ratings_And_Tags
    - Alchemy_Preset_Ratings_And_Tags.bak files and scan using the "player version" dll first, then move the player version to a backup folder and use the full 1.55 VR version.

Once your Alchemy Full finally works, at this point then please remember that :
    *Some preset from cameleon remixed crashes the 64bit plugin so if you really want to use those, temporarily just remove the 64bit Full Alchemy.dll file and use 32 bit only version of the dll.

(If you have the cameleon remixed I suggest you to delete that folder at Camel Audio\Alchemy\Presets) and use my folders which i am sending you as I have seperated the folders into two. Presets in the "Cameleon Remix 32bit" folder is the only one which doesnt work with the 64bit plugin) Let me know if you need any help.

9. Nogale

Nogale Member

thanks for the help, but yeah i rather keep with the full version, i just used jbridge and it works as good as 32 bit

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. demha

demha Producer

I think you didnt understand the idea. You end up using only the full version in true 64bit that is not bridged and not the player version also. The player version is to used only "once" to create/scan the database of any new presets you install, whether it is official or not. Or did i get you wrong? (Unless you really want to use the jbridge version meaning your "ok" with 32bit version)
    If your problem is solved or your satisfied with jbridge, then great.
    Anyways I hope the info is useful for someone else too. Cheers

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  11. Talula

Talula Rock Star

you need Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes
    install x86 and x64 all editions (2005-2008-2010-2012-2013-2019)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Joe.Blow

Joe.Blow Producer

Thanks for this! I was banging my head on the wall today trying to figure out what was going on and your posts helped me out a lot.

Which presets in Cameleon Remixed don't work in 64bit?

13. demha

demha Producer

List of Cameleon Remixed presets not working/crashes in 64bit version
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Algo Demon Star
    Andromeda
    Aztec Dawn
    BeeBaa
    Bird Pad C5000
    Broady
    Bubble
    Busy Busy
    Calculating
    Cameleon
    Chatterbox
    Choir
    Datastream
    Disto Solo
    Do Ghost's Sleep
    DownUnder
    Dwarf Nebula
    Empire Never End
    Everychanging
    Evol Choir
    FeedBakDisTort
    Feeding Time
    Flowta
    Format Transit
    Fraktured Beat
    Ghost Singer
    Ghostsong
    GlassCrystals
    Harsh Filter
    HellBark
    Hendrix InTheSky
    Hold It Down
    Icescape23
    Inconsequential
    Innerism
    Mare Imbrium
    Mod A Train
    ModMorph
    Morphing Organ
    Neptune
    Peripheral Vision
    Piano Treatment
    Plasma Engineer
    Pressure Effekt
    Pulsar Beat
    Rainforest
    Razorblade
    Slow Computer
    Space Symphony
    Space War Khaos
    Spirit of Eden C5000
    Tweety
    TwinBassGuitar
    Under Pressure
    Univers
    WavSeq04
    Xenoseq

They all work in the 32bit version without issues. So i have moved all relevant files to a folder with customised image.
    If you need or find it helpful first remove any old "Cameleon Remixed" folders and just download this
    https://www106.zippyshare.com/v/XUMbTPoh/file.html and put the folders into your presets folder "Camel Audio\Alchemy\Presets"

The Download contains two folders:
    Cameleon Remixed <--All presets in this folder works with the 64 bit version
    Cameleon Remix 32bit <--Only for use with 32bit version of the plugin.
    Note all other banks work fine on 64bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. joem

joem Producer

basicall its down to codeing issues as in its reallyold and times have moved on uses anolder c++ that windows dosent like anymore same thing happends when i try and use 64 bit albino (god i mis that vst it was a beast)

15. demha

demha Producer

Yes it is old but theres no coding issues at all, just need to have the right C++ runtimes.
    As I have mentioned before i have checked every preset in windows 10 (1909) with FLStudio 20.7
    no stability issues at all including tweaking parameters and loading presets except for the few presets from the Cameleon Remixed which work only in 32bit.

If any one is doubtful if they require runtime as talula mentioned, the best all-in-one runtimes check

https://www.sereby.org/site/downloads/All in One Runtimes

Note that FLStudio combines both 32 bit and 64 bit plugin and uses by default 64bit. And if you really want to use the list presets mentioned above, thats only when you have to temporarily remove the 64bit Full Alchemy.dll file from your vst folder.

16. Joe.Blow

Joe.Blow Producer

Thanks for the list!

Worth also noting that you can just rename the dlls and have them live side-by-side in your DAW.
    eg: Alchemy.dll -> Alchemy-full.dll or Alchemy-player.dll

You can probably also rename the 32bit one:
    Alchemy.dll -> Alchemy-full-32bit.dll

Though I haven't tried it.

17. demha

demha Producer

Yeah you can do that instead of removing it but if you ever do a rescan plugins in FLstudio you probably get the those renamed ones also in your vst list like this https://ibb.co/0m3zFhB

18. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Thanks demha for your interest. Alchemy is an excellent synth.