October 8, 2020 AMD Announcement & November 5 Launch

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by quadcore64, Sep 29, 2020.

1. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

As mentioned by myself & others, if you don't have an immediate need for a new PC or upgrade, it is wise to wait until after the October AMD announcements.

Some interesting info can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCht_L65OUPeMQqu6MP3lq_A

Renamed thread title being that this topic has gone on past Oct 8.

Was expecting more info on the 8 core 5000 series APU. Maybe November 5th.

An interesting interview by Anandtech with AMD's CTO can be found here.

Expect a new socket for PCIe 5.0 & DDR5.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Polomo

Polomo Guest

Only thing which makes me a bit Sad is 5900X with 150 W TDP ( New Info 105 W)
    The 3900X was not easy to cool
    And with this it will become even harder.

Underclocking would be my way, but it's still a bit sad to see that this will be the way they go

edit: new temps after release

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Air cooling:
    Noctua NH-U12S dual fan in a push-pull-push orientation. For non-overclock.
    Noctua NH-D15 dual fan in a push-pull-push orientation. Best for non-overclock or overclock.
    https://noctua.at/en/cpu/AMD_Ryzen_9_3900X

Unstable or inadequate VRM could be a reason for having to undervolt.

Using XMP RAM profiles & PBO should be more than enough for normal use in gaming or production.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  5. tnc

tnc Producer

There's no problem with cooling Ryzens with a Noctua NH-D15.

For my accousticly treated studio I bought Ryzen 3950x last year, at launch. I now got the the quietest PC I ever owned, so I'm very happy with it (I've been building DAWs since '99).

Be sure to get:
    1. High quality power supply with at least 1000W with an atleast 140 mm fan. Adding that extra watts makes the power supply totally silent, fan isn't needed most of the time (only when gaming).

2. A good chassi with at least 120/140 mm fans, or bigger, get at least 2 or 3 fans depending on chassi (set them to lowest RPM - it's surely enough). Of course, setup the fans in the chassi so that the air can flow through and not counteract each other).

3. SSD/m.2 disks ONLY. Get rid of mechanical drives, they get very hot and they make noises. This made a huge difference for how hot my box is. I used to have 4 mechanical disks in my previous DAW... I bought 2 TB m2 SDD disk and SATA SSD for storage.

4. A motherboard with good VRM's so it doesn't get too hot. Asus 570x boards has good VRM's (check youtube), worst mobos are the MSI.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Well... I gotta express a different opinion. I do think of cooling as a nessesary "evil". Some sort of cpu cooling must always be there. With this in mind, what we should consider is:
    What kind of performance do we get for the money with cpu+aftermarket cooler, same equation versus an alternate build, (amd vs intel etc) and come to a conclusion of what is available in the market for us.
    To sum it, the 3900X is - until now- the best bang for the buck for anyone wanting a high core count cpu without having to step into the HEDT domain and its accordingly high prices. Even the 3950X seems a sane choice, just before its release you had to go for HEDT to get this kind of performance and core count and pay double the money at least.
    I try hard to understand what's sad mate. I still have my Core 2 Quad 6700X Extreme edition (2.66 ghz/no HT). This was the first quad core desktop cpu ever, released in late '06-early 07. That was a 130W cpu. I still have it and works flawlessly, perm oc @ 3.2 ghz with an early Noctua cooler and at this speed it consumes around 170w in full load.
    My point is, x86 cpu tech has literally leaped ahead the last years. We should be glad AMD made a comeback to rival the lazy slobs at Intel who were for years releasing variations of the same cpu with stupid incremental gains of the 3-7% type with each cpu "gen". It's been 5 years and they can't get a proper 7 nm yield dammit. I should note here, that not only AMD's comeback makes it a better market for all of us depended on x86, but it also comes with strong innovation and -unheard of before- performance gains.
    To sum it, there's nothing sad about this. And if your air cooler leaves something to be desired, go for a high end liquid AIO like EKW. Or an open water loop if you have the money and patience.
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-aio-360-d-rgb

Cheers :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. typical-love

typical-love Producer

I'm probably not going to shill for the newest AMD processor that comes out. Will the current generation AMD prices go down when this comes out or stay the same?

8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Given the current world situation that is a difficult one to predict. Normally prices fall for previous releases.
    Keep in mind that looking forward to new technology is nit "shilling".

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization. Shills can carry out their operations in the areas of media, journalism, marketing, politics, confidence games, or other business areas. A shill may also act to discredit opponents or critics of the person or organization in which they have a vested interest through character assassination or other means.

In most uses, shill refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers, participants or "marks" the impression of an enthusiastic customer independent of the seller, marketer or con artist, for whom they are secretly working. The person or group in league with the shill relies on crowd psychology to encourage other onlookers or audience members to do business with the seller or accept the ideas they are promoting. Shills may be employed by salespeople and professional marketing campaigns. Plant and stooge more commonly refer to a person who is secretly in league with another person or outside organization while pretending to be neutral or a part of the organization in which they are planted, such as a magician's audience, a political party, or an intelligence organization (see double agent).[citation needed]

Shilling is illegal in many circumstances and in many jurisdictions[1] because of the potential for fraud and damage; however, if a shill does not place uninformed parties at a risk of loss, but merely generates "buzz", the shill's actions may be legal. For example, a person planted in an audience to laugh and applaud when desired (see claque), or to participate in on-stage activities as a "random member of the audience", is a type of legal shill.[2] Shill can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws.[2]

9. Haliax

Haliax Guest

I would consider under volting first, I shaved 5°c off my core temps with no loss in performance

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. typical-love

typical-love Producer

LOL chill out. I meant shell as in 'shell out.' I have dyslexia.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Already chilled out. Just making sure everyone is clear on when someone is a fanboy or, shill in any given topic.

My current system is Intel Xeon based. Have had AMD systems in the past & will most likely return to an AMD setup once all products have been announced for Intel & AMD. Looking at building an AMD Epyc 16 core at a minimum based around the ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T motherboard.

A look at the specs will tell you why. Currently the best value & feature set for a production system.

12. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

Im also waiting for the new amd stuff
    I was wondering if there is anyone who can give my advice about videocards (i dont need it for gaming)
    I was looking for a passive cooled videocard which has no fans so no noise level
    The card gygabite nvidia 1030 2gb ddr5 is this card enough for audio purpose and does it affect my computer thermals?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Polomo

Polomo Guest

I hoped for more cores and less of kicking the TDP to new highs

For me my 3930k was the worst buy till now (130 W TDP with water cooling system Corsai H 100 or something ) Lots of crashes etc most in summer times. Clear it was too hot for the system.
    Only when the water cooling was on Level 3 from 3 it was working right but the noise was high for that price.
    My solution was PC in the basement and cable to my room (which was a lot of effort for drilling holes through 60 cm of concrete.)
    (Because I want to record gaming Videos for Youtube at this time without a lot of noise)

And my 8700 (65 W) was the best with one of the lowest .
    So quiet that it stands in my recording studio without any further treatment.
    (that are just the most prominent cases there are some more with similar systems )
    So Simple said I had bad experience with high TDP Systems

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

As long as you have good air flow through the case, it should be fine. Make sure you are getting one with GDDR5 as later models had DDR4 cell phone type memory which dramatically decreased performance.

EVGA & ASUS also have models that are $25 less on average. Don't pay more than $75 for a new one.

15. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

16. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

17. Joe_sleaze

Joe_sleaze Producer

18. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

19. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

Ja ben nl ja

20. quadcore64