Octaves problem ?

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Anonymous363, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Anonymous363

Anonymous363 Noisemaker

Hi guys,
    I'm wondering if you play a note with sylenth or spire you get an octave up on the tuner or the spectrum ? is this a normal thing ?
    Because if i play let's say C3 on piano roll with sylenth1 i get C4.. this happens on both windows and mac, and with s1,logic,cubase and ableton.
    But not with all my vsts for example Z3TA play correctly C3 if i press it.
    Thanks

3. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

i have s1 in windows and mac, when i play c3 i get c3 on the synths with my cheap m-audio 49. maybe configuration problems. Have you tried to reinstall your keyboards in s1. Is your keyboard in the models preset?

4. Anonymous363

Anonymous363 Noisemaker

I don't use any keyboard just piano roll.
    i test this with 4 computers but all the same result.
    Maybe the problem is that i don't have a keyboard.
    Do you get the same using massive or sylenth ?

5. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

I think that 'Mostwest' is right :

You should check either the Settings/Configuration of your faulty VSTi (Sylenth 1 & SPIRE). Maybe when you load one of these, by default the 'Octave' Option/Selection is not correctly set (?).
    Eventually, you can also check within the Track (Channel) that you're using with the 'Piano Roll' of Studio One. Here also, maybe this is related to the 'Octave' Option/Selection available by default when you use it.

A last suggestion could be to play/record all your music stuff like this (I mean, either with Sylenth 1 or SPIRE), then to simply select the whole played/recorded performance, then to transpose ('Drag & Drop') that selection to the desired Octave (in your case, 1 Octave down, because you get a 'C4' instead of a 'C3' when playingthe regular way). *yes*

@ Anonymous363,

The following Topic can perhaps also enlighten you a little...

A question :
    "It seems the number value for midi note names depends on the vendor. I was really confused about this when making a note name parser. When I search the web a lot of pages say C4=60. And in this case A4=440, which I think is nice and easy to remember. So I went with that…
    But in Logic, and the default for Max’s number box, it’s C4=72. It looks like Live is this way too. I want my stuff to work seamlessly with other software, so it looks like the best bet is C4=72. But I don’t know if it’s the same for NI, Propellerhead, Cakewalk, etc, not to mention MIDI hardware.
    Any thoughts ?"

An answer :
    "For a very long time and in much historical literature middle C WAS C4. For some reason the designers of midi chose C3 = 60. It’s not the only thing they got wrong. The frequency for middle C is also NOT 256."

You can have a look at this Topic here :

'C4 = 60 or 72 ?'

________________________________________________________________________​

ADDED AFTERWARDS :

Another Article/Topic perhaps even more relevant than the previous one :

User question :
    "I bought a Korg Pad Kontrol drum midi device that transmits notes an octive higher tham Logic reads. So when I hit C3, Logic notes it as C2 !
    Eventually I found I can alter the Display in preferences between Yamaha C3 and Roland C4, so now C3 is C3 on the piano roll, but my point is:
    I'm no midi expert by any means but does it make any difference at all if I flip from one to the other between takes? So if I record a bass drum, will it stay a bass drum if I change the Middle C setting ?"

Then, an explanation between some different points of view of some 'MIDI' Keyboards/Expanders Manufacturers about the correspondance of 'Middle C' and an exact 'MIDI Note Number' :

"When it comes to MIDI there are two different standards for how notes are labeled. Middle C, being a benchmark, can either be C3 or C4, but regardless, they represent the same exact note, viz:
    On any MIDI keyboard, assuming that any transpose feature isn't activated, Middle C outputs note #60. Korg has opted to use the name "C4" to designate this note. Yamaha and other companies call it "C3". But play a Middle C on any keyboard and you're outputting note #60.
    So the Korg Pad Kontrol doesn't actually transmit notes higher than Logic reads. It outputs the right notes. It's up to you to adjust Logic's preferences and/or keep track of this. And it won't make a difference if you flip that pref between takes.
    Just to be complete about it, it's not just Middle C that gets renamed by this choice of naming convention.

MIDDLE OCTAVE NOTE NAMES for the same notes :

Korg: C4, C#4, D4.....B4 next octave starts at C5...
    Roland: C3, C#3, D3....B3 next octave starts at C4"

'Middle C C3 or C4 ?'

Long time ago, it has been a kind of 'Mini-War' between some Manufacturers about this fact.
    I own myself some 'MIDI' Keyboards/Hardware Units of these Manufacturers (e.g. 'KORG' & 'Roland'), so I know that kind of mess !!! *yes* :rofl:

Good Luck ! :wink:

6. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

Also , within one vst, it may change from a patch to another.
    it may sound 1 octave up or down depending on harmonics and coarse tuning.