Ocean Way Drums Platinum Vs Superior Drummer 3

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sylenth.Will.Fall, Sep 21, 2017.

?

Ocean Way or SD3

1. Ocean Way

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. SD3

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I appreciate you can do tons more with SD3, but which one sounds more like a real drum kit.

Thanks everyone!

3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Well for rock/hard rock , ocean way has the punch and body, but its always good to layer drums for better results.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  4. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Hey buddy, I had a feeling it wouldn't be a clear cut thing.

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

What can ya do, life aint easy. :dunno:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I think you can Dial them both in to sound like a real performance...what i like to do is use the Ambiance of the room mics with the overheads and bring them in more >>> alot of the software drums have the room mic spread hard left and right kinda spead out to much for what i like to call a real sounding kit ;) bring them in some like 50% spread or less and maybe use the mono room mics some >>> gives it more Depth sounds more Real to me >>>an also cut some of the low end from them to keep the mud out of the center ;) It gives more Room for the Stereo tracks too ;) Makes a Huge Difference i dont use alot of these in the mix just enough to give the real factor an open them up some \m/ velocity is key too>>> like wen you start a drum roll first few note hard and tapper off as the roll goes on to end ;) same for the rest of the kit pieces \m/

7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Cool techniques, its all about experimenting and trying out new stuff.

I have been demoing some of the groove agent 4 kits today ( not se version) and i was surprised at how accurate they got the toms on some of the acoustic and vintage agent drums.
    Most sampled kits sound like shit in this department i swear they`ve nailed the toms better than the competition, they sound very realistic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I Agree man they do have the Real factor the whole kits sound pretty good to me \m/

9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@Sylenth.Will.Fall
    Why are you asking?
    You might also want to check out the 8dio blackbird drums, just a killer sounding kit and cymbals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

And dont judge Ocean Way Drums by the Demos on the web page... They dont do it justice at all lol Real Talk its way better wen you set up a kit yourself trust me on this one lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I would like to have the 8Dio Blackbird the brass on their kits are amazing

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

i think its floating around out there somewhere ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Whilst I was growing a beard waiting for the 40gb or so SD3 library to come down, it got me thinking, both 24bit, and around (80gb for Ocean Way) 100+ for SD3 if you get the 2nd and 3rd library, I have only ever used AD 1, then 2 for 'real' sounding drums maybe it's time to try something else.

I will look into that

Maybe I should get a bigger hard drive!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  14. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I do something similar ish to that in Addictive, and to a certain degree it works, but when you put those drums up against a proper good quality drum kit Like I did a couple of days ago (Some guy , a friend of a friend has a DW Maple, green and black kit cost him around £5,000) it made AD2 sound like something you'd find in a baby's rattle shop.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I agree on this forsure lol >>> nothing beats the Real thing forsure >>> i record real drums for production work but i do use samples too to bring out the kit for heavy music or ill sample the kit before Recording the session and just use the samples from the kit to Beef it up some ;) i posted a sample of asong in another thread tho i did the other night showing what line6 Helix sounds like in a mix ...its just a demo but ill rerecord it wen im happy with the way i get it to sound in Demo Mode haha >>> ill post it here for you to hear >>>The Drums i completely replaced with Superior Drummer 3 with EZX Big Rock drums>>> I did the Guitar and bass my singer did the scratch Vox and my Drummer did the Drums i just redid them with Superior 3...

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I look forward to hearing that!

17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Sylenth imo, if hdd space is an issue go with the 8dio kit, less space and it sounds like a bastard child between ocean way and sd.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Had no idea Zakk Wylde was in your band, bro. :headbang: Guitars sound really good as well.
    Feel like drinking some moonshine now.

19. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I've shaken things around a bit to give me an extra 1/2 Terabyte so I'm ok for now. But with drums I don't want to fall into the trap I did with synths. 'Have to have them all , and don't know how to use any properly. ' So if I can find a better sounding replacement I'll stick with that.

20. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Nobody using BFD3 then?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

He comes over to jam from time to time \m/ haha JK >>> i love that album man my old band used to cover a song from it>>>Horse called War \m/ I love how organic it sounds>>> Book Of Shadows is another great album of his \m/ >>> Zakk is my wifes hero lol i took her to a meet and greet with him before one of his shows>>> been few years ago as a birthday present lol