Obvious benefits of upgrading Studio One from 5 to 6?

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by phloopy, Dec 20, 2023.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Im a legit owner of Studio One 5 and consider an upgrade to v6, but...........

Are there any obvious benefits doing that and for what reasons?

Thanks in advance

3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

......and I who thought there were a ton of Studio One experts with lots of good advice on my question... but I was wrong?!? :woot::dunno::rofl:

4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

only you can tell which features are noteworthy to your usecase,
    https://www.presonus.com/en-US/studio-one-whats-new.html

for ex. I don't think Atmos support in 6.5 is big deal, and overall I don't think it offers something game-changing that Reaper 7 doesn't (but I'm not here to start a DAW war),

questionably obvious benefits would be better/newer OS and plugin support (this depends on what computer rig you use or intend to buy/upgrade), and maybe cheaper upgrade cost once Studio One version 7 releases,
    that said, if I remember correct 4.0.1 released in summer 2018, 5.0.1 in summer 2020 and 6.0.1 in autumn 2022 so I'd expect 7.0.1 release around end of 2024 which isn't that far tbh, so if you're fine with version 5 then maybe you can skip to version 7
    :shalom:

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Probably the lack of replies because:

a) it's subjective as to whether it's worth it or of any benefit or not cos only you can decide whether any new features are of any value to you and your workflow; and

b) this exists: Studio One 6 | What's New (presonus.com)

6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Surely @Bunford but I need personal opinions based on experience on the issue.

7. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Thanks @tzzsmk but I need personal opinions based on experience on the issue.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

I haven’t seen anything worth an upgrade in a good while, nothing to make a real difference or something that would make you work more efficiently. what has been being added is peripheral show off semifeatures. You can do exactly the same, the same way since at least 2 generations back.

So I would say it’s not worth it, To not even mention the ancient sound library and mediocre instruments they keep dragging along

I won’t pay until maaaybe next upgrade, I’ll stay on v5 till v7 or 8..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

But that's personal opinion to the person, not your opinion and your experience may differ. Like @tzzsmk says, it has atmos features that some film and TV music and audio producers will love and say definitely worth the upgrade, but I'm not too bothered about this as a techno and house music maker who doesn't dabble with atmos (or hasn't to date). The fact you don't mention what you actually do in Studio One, or what genre limits people's ability to suggest whether something may be useful or not too.

However, I like workflow things like being able to save and recall track setups in a single file with any associated FX, routing, bus groups and so on that works for me and saves me a ton of time based on how I set tracks up, but I'm sure others would find no use for this and say there is no point in updating.

This is why you just need to read the updated features and judge whether you think they're of value to you or not. At worst, there will likely be some workflow and resource efficiencies in an upgrade if nothing else, but "value" and "benefit" is subjective based on your personal circumstances so nobody can provide you with a definitive answer, even if they try to fanboy an answer on you :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. mondomorte

mondomorte Producer

I used legit Studio One from v2 - v5.5, primarily to sequence, record, and process external hardware. There were well-known issues with the midi timing / jitter, lack of sysex options, etc in-between those versions - some of which still haven't been addressed to my knowledge. Once they announced v6, I was indeed one of the users who felt let down by the direction the software was going (for my own reasons, for course).
    At the same time I was concerned about the Fender CEO's comments about the future of Studio One I was also completely admiring the Cockos business model, user support, and overall vision.

So I jumped ship and became a fanatical Reaperite.
    :guru:

With Reaper I found everything I needed and more (once I got over my initial hesitations, learning curve, etc). I needed the extra amount of options, stability, and flexibility without resorting to a work-around. All the issues and roadblocks I had struggled with were gone before my very eyes and life has been great ever since.

HOWEVER, almost all my reasons for the above were personal and subjective, based on my musical / technical needs and desires (oh wow, Reaper actually has a proper midi filter. oh wow, I love the amount of sample rate conversion prefs. oh wow, parameter modulation that I don't have to draw in. oh wow, 2 second start up times. oh wow, customization to my hearts content. oh wow, and my list goes on...).

For all we know the Studio One v6 addition of a vocoder and lyrics track is exactly what you are looking for...

Is it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. mondomorte

mondomorte Producer

Here is one simple example of a very specific case: Studio One sends a CC reset message upon playback and looping. My AKAI Z8 sampler doesn't like this when playing back phrases rather than one shots, so it skips the first note. I had to run a third-party midi filter app in the background because there is no way to turn off or adjust SPP options in Studio One. With Reaper, there are multiple, extensive ways of adjusting this.

This was a big enough issue for me to not upgrade to Studio One v6 (and ultimately leave it all together). But this reason is ridiculously particular (and partially specific to the Z8, which annoyingly resets all internal CC upon receiving start/stop message) and would beintangible and unimportant for most users.

All that to say: everyone above me who says that answers to OPs question will be personal and subjective are correct.

12. boingy99

boingy99 Kapellmeister

I'm still using legit 4.5. The features they have introduced since then are mostly not relevant to me, namely the live performance thing and the Dolby Atmos stuff . I'd probably use the lyric track but that's not enough to prise the upgrade money from my hands.

When 7.0 lands I'll take a look at what's new. The only thing I would really like is some sort of clip launcher like Ableton's session view but Presonus might be a bit too "grown up" to deliver that....

13. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Rock Star

most upgrades aren't for the benefit of the user, but for the benefit of the manufacturer. This applies broadly to pretty much everything you will encounter in life. due diligence is advised.

if what you are using works for you, why upgrade? an upgrade is a chance to introduce new bugs, and changes in a familiar workflow. Beethoven didn't upgrade pianos everytime Yamaha added another octave or so Mrs. Beethoven told me once.

14. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Thanks @EddieXx :like:

I had a feeling it wasnt worth an upgrade :wink:

15. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Thanks @boingy99 :like:

16. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

definitely no!!! Thanks @mondomorte :wink:

17. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Ok..... I was tempted because of the cut off price atm at Presonus. I´ll leave it and see if v7 can come up with something really interesting.

Thanks for all the good advices :wink::like::mates: