Oblique Strategies - Inspiration from Brian Eno.

Discussion in 'Education' started by pilz971, Jun 21, 2014.

1. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

Hi All.

Was just trawling the iNet, distracting myself from the block that drops periodically when I sit before the black and whites. It occurred to me that surely the "greats" had also suffered those times of nada flow, only probably on a much deeper level owing to managers, publishers, record companies and contracts taking up far more of their mental abilities than they should.

Anyhoo, long story short, I found that Mr Eno had crafted a set of cards that he would randomly select when at a dead end in order to suggest a direction, idea or way forward. This deck of cards he named Random Oblique Strategies. Wiki link.

There are many packs available on eBay, amazon, and many other credit/debit card taking institutions, but, being the AudioZ`ers and SEX`ers we are, I figured a more digital and gratis solution ought to be available somewhere in this zeros and ones playground we all know and love.

Voilà: Let the game commence!

Hope it serves some purpose to someone.

Be blessed. :mates:

3. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

I must say i've been dealing with the same problem (especially this year) due too lack of motivation, competition and maybe simply just some lack of inspiration.. Can't imagine what it must feel like being signed and having to deal with official deadlines and all of the above you just named up. I will try this one out. Thank you kindly pilzy :)

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Are these cards available as midi files too? :break:

5. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

lmao good one

6. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

there have been many solutions over the years in digital format, from hypercard sets to iOS apps, to one for the mac which fortunately lost its compatibility with mountain lion…. i think i have another one that still works, i will looks around…..

7. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

Deadline in itself can be an oblique strategy

8. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

I am no Mozart (despite the opinions of kissasses) so insted inspiration (just 1%) we (me and beethoven) prefer 99% transpiration...
    Also with all the libs in hd and internet, so just write a word and BANG, develop happens!
    Improvisation and listening, music out of our confort zone enrich owerselves.
    A lot of people only listen what they like, with nothing new in the brain you can do only a shadow of what you like, repeting what exist.
    Study the musics with critic and understand how they do.
    Theres no thing like a whisper of angel... its always about work, so develop skill now :wink:

9. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

True ! If i know i have to have something out in the next few days i will have a result regardless wether i like it or not.

10. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

Those are some great ways & tips and in fact pretty logic too.. if i only listen to a specific genre or type music i like then its less likely going to inspire me. Thank you for the advice

11. halcyo

halcyo Newbie

Cool! I bookmarked your site!