Novation Launchpad

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Levitate, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Levitate

Levitate Producer

Hello all! [​IMG]

Was curious are there any Launchpad users here? I was given one for hooking up my friends studio equipment.
    I've played with one before,just never got deep into one yet.So I figured I'd make this thread so if others have Launchpad tips/tricks/tutorials they could share. :thumbsup:

I just installed the driver on mine,Automap drove me crazy in the past duplicating all my vsts with an (automap) copy.[​IMG]

I mainly use FL 11,Cubase Elements 7,PT10 a lil and Bitwig a lil. But I have Live 9.1.2 64 Bit installed though,just not much experience with Ableton.I can kinda get around but...
    admitted Ableton noob for sure. [​IMG]

I'd ideally like to know how they do these cool lightshows on the Launchpad. Like this...

I have the projects for these and others.Found them on Launchpad Pro Site
    I registered to their forum as well Launchpad Pro Forum

I really hope this thread turns into a nice lil collection of launchpad info.Hope that it turns into a [​IMG] :rofl: (You guys are awesome btw,AudSex never disappoints)
    I'll add to it,if I learn anything cool in the future for sure :mates:

Thanks ahead of time to all that contribute or may contribute.[​IMG]

And if any of you are privy to how they do those awesome lightshows on it?
    I would love you for quite a while :hug:

(If not I've even thought about directly messaging SoNevable on Youtube and asking,can't hurt :dunno: )

Thanks again,
    Levitate
    [​IMG]

3. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

First, you should take the time to read Novation's developer reference for the Launchpad, they describe all you need to communicate with the Launchpad in both directions.
    Then, watch youtube.com / watch?v=-dqqfBiute0
    (Novation Launchpad Mini controlled using Python script)
    You can download the script from: https://github.com/FMMT666/launchpad.py
    Be sure to read https://github.com/FMMT666/launchpad.py/blob/master/README.md too!!!

Now you can either:
    - take the script and the Launchpad developer doc and get into Ableton Python scripting (it's a fascinating world, believe me, for example, all the wonderful PUSH hardware controller functionality is implemented in Python within Ableton). Advantage: You can make your light show react to anything that happens in Ableton and in sync with your music.
    - or simply install Python 2.7 and pygame 1.9.1 under Windows and run the script standalone.

Don't fear python, it's almost like Basic, the only thing to care about is identation: The exact number of 4/8/12/... spaces that the lines start with DO have their meaning: You define logical blocks this way. Check some examples.
    Oh yes, that's what I don't like about automap. They attach the Automap virus to every VST dll :bleh:
    On the other hand, it works with quite any program supporting VST(i), and honestly, I would delete all the copies that I'm sure I don't want to control with the Launchpad.

One more thing: I bet you'll be more effective focussing on one DAW and put all you time into getting it to know well. For me it was Ableton because of the flexibility and the great support for pattern oriented workflow, but for you it could be a different choice.
    Only if you take the time you can do magic.

4. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

If i remember correctly, last time i installed automap it let me choose which plugins i wanted to wrap.

5. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

Check out these crazy Launchpad apps from Aurex. AUREX

They`re free and once you master what does what to what you`ll be in creative heaven!

Best also grab GRIDLOCK

:mates:

6. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

And don't forget LaunchPad for iPad.....it intergrates well with and without the Pad, and you can import your own samples!

7. transporter1333

transporter1333 Member

I'm not realy fan of this kind of music, but I must to admite thats is amazing what this guys are doing...
    Very cool
    Thanks Levitate. Nice post.
    :wink: :wink:

8. Levitate

Levitate Producer

Finally got a couple of those projects to work in Ableton! [​IMG]

Was just playing with the Zedd project.WOW!!! [​IMG]

Not my usual music taste,but very pretty song.
    It's growing on me,is gonna be one of those forever reminding me of this Summer songs
    :)

Man this is a whole nother world.Fascinating! It's kind of like an MPC but wayyyy more samples and smaller pads.
    Gonna have to get real deep in this for sure.[​IMG]

I've tried changing the midi channel for the lights,it's getting signal in Ableton,
    not sure what I'm doing wrong there :dunno:

Nothing lights up and it has to be played under user 1 instead of session.The 8 banks of samples are freakin DOPE!![​IMG]
    I played with it in FL 11 as well a few days ago,got a bit further in there as far as getting multiple functions to work.
    Still learning,but that Bass Antics performance mode project is pretty neat,& that Charles Deluxe is so funky it needs an air freshener.[​IMG]

But this seems much better.IMO[​IMG]

Well,I get any further I'll keep everyone posted.So far pretty friggin cool!!!
    Oh and I found another LP app. If anyone knows anything about it,would be purddy awesome I reckon.[​IMG]
    Katapult

It's free (Another one X!! *yes* ) It did some really cool light stuff as soon as I opened the app.
    Oh,and the key for it is on their homepage.

1.Highlight & copy key from website 2.Erase what's in the license.txt (that's in the program folder)
    3.Paste 4.Save the.txt file 5.Open and enjoy!
    :wink:

Well till next time.... [​IMG] :mates:

Back to work I go! [​IMG]

9. Levitate

Levitate Producer

GOT THE LIGHTS TO SHOW!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To the right of where it says Nev lights, Re-select Launchpad,Re-select Channel 5

Hit a pad and watch the pretty colors and patterns!!! [​IMG]

(Make sure the LP is set to User 1 instead of Session)

(Now just need to figure out how they programmed the lights to do that...)

Wonder if an experienced Ableton user may know how to figure that out just from a look at the Project file? :unsure:

10. puw

puw Noisemaker

Hi guys, glad to find this topic.

I have not got my Launchpad for the light shows, DJ'ing etc. I got it with the intention of being able to more easily create sound. I'm using Studio One 2 Pro, got it so it hooks up, sound is made via Toontrack etc, but I am clueless as to mapping, so I can place instruments where I want them. I've tried to follow youtube etc, but since my use and purpose is not as per the vids/tuts, I can't fathom out or understand how to make full use of it for me.

Can anyone please (if you have time) make a basic dummies guide?

11. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

Got a Launchpad S just 2 days ago and already spend loads of hours with it.. it looks so easy, but..
    Well lets see what I will do with it or vice versa ;-)

Automap:
    After I installed automap, my "Launchpad S" turned into "2- Launchpad S" in Ableton Live 9.
    Dont know how to change that.

nice tutorial for beginners:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLUqYpMJNpY

12. puw

puw Noisemaker

What Tut?

What have you got it for? DJ & Lightshows or more about creating?

Are you familiar with Ableton or more used to another DAW?

Give us all as much info as you can - it all helps :)

13. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister