Novation Launchpad or Maschine Mikro for use with Ableton?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Bunford, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have recently been checking out the Push and really like it. However, most features i would not use and would mostly want it for the notes and drum rack modes, and probably some step sequencing too. However, the Push is beyond my current budget and i don't want to invest that much in it.

A local store currently has B-stock of the Launchpad S and the Maschine Mikro Mk1, both for £70. The Maschine does not come with the software though.

Having looked into it, it appears the Launchpad can emulate the majority of Push, and all the features i want through customer scripts such as Launchpad95 and nativeKontrol LPC-2.

Anybody use these, got any recommendations, or kow if there are Push-esque mappings out there for the Maschine Mikro?

Cheers!

3. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I'd personally go for the Mikro definitely because of the bigger and velocity-sensitive pads.
    But this is because I'm not a big fan of Push's note entry.
    If you like that, Launchpad plus the appropriate scripts is certainly a better solution.

Basically, if you don't mind getting into programming, you could change the scripts to support the Mikro too, but then still, the Launchpad has four times the pads!

Instead of using Push mappings for the Mikro I'd skip on the notes/chords part and use MIDI mappings that can be configured in both Live and the Maschine Controller Editor, but that's only *my* preference, as I always have a MIDI keyboard around.

4. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

Push runs circles around the Launchpad, trust me. As fiction said, depends on what you need. If it's more for cliplaunching, then it's the launchpad. If you need to work with pads as triggers, then it's the mikro. If you intend to produce more than perform - it's the mikro.