Notation software suggestion

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pereira, May 10, 2014.

1. Pereira

Pereira Producer

I previously tried a search but seems that about "notation" nothing was said :sad:

I normally use Finale for notation: I had in the past some problems with Sibelius, my old hw had a latency problem with it, while it worked perfectly with Finale. I really wasn't able to understand if it was a Sibelius or hw issue, pheraps Avid solved it and maybe my new hw (i7 4770k win 7 64, 16 mb ram) can now accept it anyway, the result is that I got better practise with Finale.
    My main sw Daw is Studio One; I saw that Notionmusic Notion (or maybe better Progression, being a guitarist) can have a good integration with it.
    Is anybody working with these products in order to give me suggestions or comparison infos with the above two main options?

Thanks in advance :wink:

3. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Presonus bought Notation, maybe in the next version it will be ara version (something like that). i suggest you to buy Notation, rewire it. When the time comes with Studio One v3 (or something like that) you have already Notation license. Just my opinion, but first try everything ;)

4. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Intresting theme, I started five times to use Sibelius, and I quit. Something is wrong with Sibelius and I don't like it.

Even I think version 6 is way better then now as Avid. Encore was a great software in era of windows 95 :)

5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

I use sibelius 5 , last version to have pitch colouring. You may need to up/downgrade your ASIO4all versions to get stuff to work, idk.

I use Finale 2013 sometimes because the exploding is better.

6. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Thanks for the suggestions, happy to see that somebody else had problems with Sibelius, hope for some more details and comparisons

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

There's a thread around here where I highlight some good free offerings and some paid ones as well. Try a search to see if you can locate it. If not I will try to find it when I get a chance. :wink:

8. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Thanks Catalyst, I'll try to do :wink:

9. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

10. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Finale comes with Garittan aria player and sound set, around 2Gb

Sibelius comes with 40Gb of samples played through sibelius player.

Anyone use Sibelius sounds ? There is no so much videos on youtube, for conclusion. Library is big, so probably sound better then Garittan. Which version work fine with articulations, so when you put staccato markes staccato samples are used etc... ? Anyone have experience with these.

I want to choose between Finale and Sibelius, and I want to have right sounds out-of-box, without Kontakt mappings and load of articlutations od 3rd party libraries.

Also, which 3rd party Kontakt library work best with these notation software, anyone have some maps already.

-------

After all testing, I decide to use Notion :) Finale is x86 only and the Sibelius is wierd...