Not new but still the best for the electronic producers

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Oct 21, 2016.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

Introduced previously but still full of new, great and valuable ideas every producer should notice:
    http://edmprod.com/blog/

Could you please suggest more (not books, video tutorials, just up-to-date sites and blogs for the electronic production)?

3. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Too much theory can actually harm, no joke.
    Now, if this thread wasn't posted by Foster, I'd say: Michael Hewitt's books are really, really good, you probably already know them. And that's all you need. But you said no books, so...

You don't need "up-to-date" websites or anything to make music. You actually need to listen to it; weird because that's what your signature says: listen, listen, listen.
    What is a blog going to tell you, other than tips you already know and stuff that's everywhere?
    Is a blog going to tell you "hey cut around 300 Hz because that's where tehmudz is, so your beatz get better! also try this plugin it costs 540000 but it gives you that warm analogue feel everybody's trying to replicate but can't!"
    I just opened the link you gave me (is this your blog? prob not), and I haven't seen a good title for an article that looked interesting. Oh wow look, 50 tips to mixing, nice! And... LMAO, one of the tips is "label and color your tracks" and I stopped there

This might be a good blog: for people who want to learn how to make music and waste time. People who want to make music, instead, do that ;)

A good source for "ideas" I found was a book called "How to make electronic music" by a guy who worked at Ableton I think. It had LOTS of ideas, inspiration and stuff like that, but those were things everybody knew, just some of us have done that unconsciously or developed a similar strategy to approach music.

Also, do you know what you mean by EDM? I guess you probably don't know because that term means nothing. Do you mean modern electronic commercial music? Do you mean club music?

This answer probably doesn't help with your question and is not what you requested, but maybe might be helpful for other people

4. foster911

foster911 Guest

I don't know, this is just my problem or common among most of us:
    It seems I know every thing but in the production, lots of them are forgotten like taking an examination.:winker: (just kidding, I don't know anything yet about the extremely and increasingly diverse and sometimes starkly contrasting world of music.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  5. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

I agree with backtired. Too much theory can get in the way. Just keep finishing tracks. The better you get at finishing tracks, the better you get at finishing better tracks.

6. foster911

foster911 Guest

I'm clumsily trying but structurally speaking I'm just a bit good at chorus section (the main hook). For a full track having knowledge about the other crucial aspects of production is needed too. Unfortunately I still don't know what I'm producing. Someone may say most of the electronic styles have got approximately same structure and I generally agree with that but I really need some time to partially decompose and work on them to find my own way. I'm not a trance, house, EDM, etc. producer. I love them but I think if I can find my way (don't know how), I'd feel fairly satisfied with the results. The reason for all the time that my reaching to a final product has been prolonged unduly and indefinitely is just that, and I am very sorry for people who have been greatly inconvenienced by my stupid thoughts but there is no satisfactory alternative for me and I do really apologize.:bow:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

its a classic, you are where most get or have been and it can get pretty frustrating.
    there are some song structure/arrangement tuts out there but at the end of the day/hunt the result is to finish the track and go to next. i know you want to make this one perfect but that is the problem, you halt and keep looking for guidance and get non.

you are in that situation because:
    you work alone, no feedback
    you don't have any actual real life projects, which enables you to spend time you other ways won't have.

its difficult to give definitive answers but my tip is, don't get stuck, finish and apply your gained ideas or inspiration to a NEW track, even if it ends sounding the same, that is 100 times better than continuing with the previous. then finish that one and go to next!

only by doing this enough times your insecurity regarding your style, structure etc will go away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

just wanted to add

don't see leaving/finishing/closing this song as a failure or a defeat. it most definitely is not!
    the defeat is to keep hammering that project in vain, doing that will keep you from evolving.

see, you rip the benefits of having been working with the current project first when working with the next one. its first then when your brain gets to apply your new gained knowledge and puts it in practice. and that creates a flow, an actual profesional experience, that takes you a notch higher every time.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. THENATAN

THENATAN Guest

I Found That , If You Look Several Times A Day Into A Mirror , And Try To Find A Problem In Your Face , At Least You Found Your Self With This Message :
    "I Am The Ugliest Monkey In The World"
    Being Dumb Is'nt That Bad , Also Too Much Knowledge Or Too Much Focus Can Destroy You .
    Just Look At Stephen Hawking , He Tried To Found The Answer , But He Lost As Fuck As Some One Who Knows Nothing .

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

How many more people do you need to hear the same answer from? I've been telling you for months now.
    You'll not find your answers from some blog, tutorial, or a book. You have to get on with it and do it. Now I gave you a rough starting point in the last thread you started here. Have you started that yet? You won't get finished. if you don't start in the first place, will you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

thing is you cant force another person to internalize your experience.
    often the individual will keep asking until it is the right time.
    when doing so they are looking more for empathy than actual knowledge

they are in a process of reinforcing something they may even already know. its an individual process

you can scream it to their face and it will not help the slightest.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  12. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

has anyone ever said "this GPS has too many destination points?"

13. This GPS has too many destination points. I'd like to travel to some place new but I just can't decide where to go. Dang nabbit, this thing must be broken, I don't even know where I am!

14. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

By not finishing tracks one only repeats what one already knows. It's an obvious failure as one never learns that very aspect that contributes to finishing a song: be it music making best practice, be it time management, be it technical knowledge, be it "inspiration management", be it lack of musical skills. Doing the same thing over and over again will result in half songs over and over again.

...beacause finishing a song, my friend, is above all, the art of compromise: it's never done even for the most accomplished composers/producers out there. So yes "hammering that project in vain" is just a lack of best practice, lack of acknowledging the reality that first tracks suck hard, lack of being objective, lack of having a proper workflow and other "lacks". So every time one must do the best he/she can, in the reasonable amount of time for that type of production. A pop/club song takes a week, maybe even less at a rate of 8-10 hours per day. Make 48 crappy 1-week songs for a year and you are almost ready for the market after that. Make 12 awesome unfinished songs for a year and another year of unfinished songs awaits. Then another one and another one.

---

@foster911 : can you do a bet with yourself? 48 songs in a year? people wanting to lose weight made harder bets spanning over 3 years. how much do you want to make music?

15. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

and when you're lost and need to get home "I/i" you're gonna ask steve faoki right lol

16. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

I still use a map when I look for places and I hate GPS and the lady talking. I cook most of my own food, and can't stand the artificial pre-made crap people use to cook. I'm really not into trendy and popular generic music, I'd rather hear someones deranged and out of this world music ideas......Just listened to a great album by Seba and it made my skin swell up with goose bumps!

I think the key is finding your signature sound, a groove, and creating something that defines you. The best way to do that is rejecting the "norm", the "theory", the "rules".

I will leave you with this unique and powerful production.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Well, yeah - so? The author of the article must be new at life.

“Nothing worth having was ever achieved without effort” That's like saying, "There are none so blind as those who cannot see."

"Look, you’ve been doing this for a few months. Your music isn’t good. It simply isn’t." Months?!

"#1 – Don’t waste time seeking validation." Stop bugging Mommy to post your scribblings on the 'fridge.

"#3 – Learn music theory. NOW." You haven't already?

"#5 – Figure out ways to actually practice" As opposed to what? Pretend-practice?

18. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

19. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

not so unique.. nice though.

20. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

I've always been a big LTJ Bukem fan and I found, out of all the producers that belonged to his label, Seba had a signature sound that stood out from the rest....I guess we all perceive things differently.