Not getting good results from music theory threads

Discussion in 'Education' started by Fully Operational, Jan 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Freq

The Freq Guest

Just an observation. Humans are habitual.
    Why come back with a different name if you do exactly the same things? Just saying...
    If the TA is Foster he should just stay as Foster, same with MMJ etc etc etc
    It's not like they are doing everything differently.

To completely reinvent oneself, a person has to change everything, not just some of it. Just an observation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. recycle

recycle Guest

Music theory is the enemy, I agree
    The first thing to do when fighting an enemy is to get to know him thoroughly to find his weak points
    That's why you have to study music theory: to subvert and annihilate it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Allow me to congratulate you for your very well put 1st post - immeasurably superior to mine - meaning proper and useful, once you've endeavored in trying to comprehend and address Fully Operational's anxiety and tramples in his attempt of framing so much at once. Well done. Best regards.

@Fully Operational - you may as well PM me if you feel like it.

4. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

Well... You need to be talented.

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

@Fully Operational first of all, you're mixing too many subjects, So I will answer only to the tile
    Not getting good results from music theory threads

The reason for that is that there are too many wannabe masters of theory, that instead of taking in account Op's questions, write comments to show off their (supposed) knowledge.
    And then the battles begin, people write to discuss things that are completely out of the comprehension for a newbie...
    But they need their ego to be filled... and totally forget the question.

Like it just happened in this thread Major scale help me understand.
    And to be true, I have to say that I'm fed up to see this happening here.

The rest of your verbiage have nothing to do with your title, and simply demonstrate what I just wrote in the beginning of my comment...

And no, I'm not an anti-musical-theory guy, I've studied classical music for 6 years, and went to a private Jazz school for 4 years, I understand and use theory, I even explain it sometimes, but taking in account the person that ask, and his/her goals, never trying to impose a vision.
    Theory is just a tool, not an art. With theory alone, you'll do craft, not art...

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  6. This is exactly what I'm trying to say.

To use anything, its bed must be provided first. How to turn the craft or theory into a visible or listenable art when there's no modern container for it.

Now suppose you have learned theories of jazz music, when there are no genres related to jazz, where do you want to use the theories you have learned?

If there are no genres of music employing the theory, theories cannot be turned into art, and unfortunately, there are no modern genres in which music theories can be used to the fullest.

7. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

"unfortunately, there are no modern genres in which music theories can be used to the fullest." This can be true, but just for a person with a very limited vision span and with a non-fully operational brain like yours. Sorry.

8. Music-theory-related genres have not been updated since 1970s. A great deal of effort is needed to provide new platforms for the application of theories again.

9. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

foster, you do realize this obsession of yours is way beyond anything that could be called "normal", right?

why dont you do yourself (and whoever may live with you) a huge favor and simply contact a psychologist and tell him/her all about what you do here, how much effort you put into this silly mania year after year.

because, if you show this level of pathological obsession under such a long time like you have done all these years, whatever illness you are suffering must undoubtedly be having an impact on your daily life too.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  10. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I figured out your problem: you don't actually listen to music at all, modern or not.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  11. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

well, it has never really being about music. since the very beginning, around 13 nicks ago ( ?) its has only being the projection of some kind of disorder wanting to take shape. why this forum became the target is probably just a random pick.

• List
  12. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

He can't help it bro. He's such a troll he's even trolling himself lol. And because you are new (supposedly), see if you find any similarities (the particular Foster quote is one of my favorites btw):
    (And continues with this sentence:)
    Yeah i know... same sht different nick :hahaha:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Wilberforce

Wilberforce Member

I've always liked this quote:
    • Bill Evans - "It bugs me when people try to analyse Jazz as an intellectual theorem. It's not, it's feeling."
    I think that's true with most 'over-analysed' music to be honest.

Theory threads are ones I avoid for the most part. Olymoon was right that there are many "...wannabe masters of theory..."

If theory is helpful then great, if you want to avoid it altogther and just do your own thing (minus theory) then that's fine too as far as I am concerned.

Ultimately we are all judged on what we create, not how we explain it theoretically.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. The Freq

The Freq Guest

I come on randomly once a year in the Christmas break until I have to go back to work when orientation begins. If anyone matches the unchanged matching avatar image on the sister site with this one they'd do the 1+1 = the same person. That name has never changed since I first came on here many years ago. I was a friend of TonyG's too until he left because of some guy he called Olygoon he suggested was less qualified than our children.
    The simplest logic at even teenager level, suggests that if someone is qualified-super-busy they do not have time to do anything else, let alone take a job moderating a site with so much time-consuming bickering. One month a year here is enough to last a year, possibly a lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

@Fully Operational - are you talking about music culture as a purely money-making venture or as a mode of human expression?

If the focus is a comfortable career, then musical creativity is an exploitative tool that generally demands professional study and application... Otherwise, all music creation is a natural human gift to express one's (unique?) harmonic energy to thrill the spirit and engage/entertain not only the self but - if applied with verve and imagination - others too...

You, Sir, confuse high art with high purpose and as such are an elite victim of abstract dogma.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. recycle

recycle Guest

It's funny to see that the word "Foster" from a personal name it has become a derogatory adjective
    "You are a Foster!"

17. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

i think he began spamming this forum 5 or 6 years ago. the nicks have changed but the "content" has always being the same garbage. he copied some phrases from elsewhere mixed it up a bit and posted it here as his own thoughts and then just waited for people to start fighting and hating about his nonsensical stupidities.

it always worked since there was always some poor soul who thought they could see meaning in moron fosters soup of letters.

just take a look at the dynamics here: https://audiosex.pro/threads/the-chords.21432/page-3

and he has made hundreds of similar threads, most, the worst ones are deleted though

18. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

and another one, when he got everyone frustrated arguing trying to grasp what the hell he was talking about then suddenly maybe the simple reason of why he keeps coming back time after time got revealed... not that farfetched at all..

19. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I will respond by this (made by someone with almost ZERO theory baggage , told by himself) :

HIS vision :

I don't want to enter this "debate" ... so MUSIC !!!

20. The Freq

The Freq Guest

One of the greatest electric jazz guitar players to have ever lived. RIP Allan Holdsworth. What a great thing to see on this site... a diamond in the rough. Thanks :) What a nice thing to leave with.