Not feeling my creative space and need inspiration!

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Bunford, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Nah. I've already upgraded the lava lamps to Himalayan rock salt lamps :wink::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

i was wondering, apart from the setup itself. are you please with your music making situation otherwise?
    like, are you in a "confortable" situation, was just thinking that the lack of "lust" and bored feelings towards equipment can sometimes depend on other existing monotony, im just speculating

but sure, we all feel like re-arranging stuff, setups etc. its simply fun. :)

3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Spoke to my ex earlier. She says she still feels her creative space every day.
    Maybe she's still inspired by me, I dunno.

4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

and is the sound you get inspiring? I mean, how about optimizing the monitor placement, calibration, decoupling etc..?
    speaking of desk setup, more and more people are using Karlby desk with Alex drawers (both IKEA) with some decent ultrawide (3440x1440) screen, lookin all pretty neat, like this (NOT mine) for ex:
    [​IMG]

5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

and for ideas about DIY desk, Beat series by Studiodesk are pretty cool set up:
    [​IMG]

6. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

nice desk! i would love to have the keyboard sliding out like that, been planning on how to do it myself but haven't come around yet. what i often dont like on these designs is having different levels on speakers, and specially not having the monitor high up. I like it all on the same height approximately.

7. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

there is some magic around new gear, but sure, it can also be a scape from other "issues" and anxiety with other stuff.

im the kind that loves to reshuffle everything every 6 months, not only the studio, im always trying to rearrange the rooms at home :)
    I get pretty exited when i start trying to figure out "better" ways to set thing up.

8. Smoove Grooves

@EddieXx They do a 'Music Commander Series' and the speaker/screen bit is on the same level.
    AND it fits an 88note rather than just a 61. But for that, it is a separate, non-slidey out desk of itself.

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yeah, I've been looking at a few desks trying to work out what is realistically do-able. I'm probably gonna try to mock something up, but don't understand Sketchup at all! Any simpleton guides on using Sketchup, especially from the angle of designing desks? :)

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Ditto! I think there is something in it, in the sense of creating a more inviting and appealing space that you feel more draw for you to go and spend some time in there.

11. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

alters ph value..not good...when you drink coffe everday...use bakin soda...
    u can also make crack very easy if have good yayo..
    crack doesn't alter ph value:wink:

12. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

they do have nice desks indeed, inspiring [​IMG]

13. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

After seeing some of the other pics, I obviously need to spend some cash on fancy lighting....:woot:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This one is a pretty awesome desk too. Though I'd personally have it with a more grown up walnut or oak top and black framing. I'd ideally like to build something like this, but have rack units for the legs tilted inwards on either side too. And maybe less epilepsy-inducing LEDs :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. johndoehizzle

johndoehizzle Kapellmeister

change your setup/ re-arrange it to the point where you're proud of the equipment you have. clean things up, polish them. make them look good. remind yourself that you're fortunate to have a nice setup (not anybody can afford these things). if possible get some new gear, upgrade monitors, desk,etc. i had a huge hard time all last year 2018-- writers block/ personal issues(broke up with ex girlfriend towards end of 2017). wasn't very productive in the music thing.wasn't myself.. towards the end of 2018 i started to be myself again, worked on music, released some tunes on a nice/famous label. bought my first actual analog synth. amazing how creative you get when you got 'hands on' experience instead of just using your mouse to click away. lost my job nov. 2018, took a trip/ 2 week vacation to central america. got back late december of 2018, stress was and still eating me up - car payments,rent,bills,auto insurance. but i still got my music studio setup to look forward to and work on new projects.

i always keep a microfiber strictly for my studio equipment/setup . reminder to polish what you have. try new music genres under a different alias if possible. keeps your mind fresh . one moment you're Artist 1 , when u get writers block switch over to Artist 2.

good vibes,

ps: have yall seen the new behringer synths/ drum machines. :wink: . the synth i got was the behringer neutron btw. solid stuff from behringer. big fan of their products.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Smoove Grooves

Yeah, you'd definitely want to maximize on space and have extra rack fittings underneath. I know you want to make your own, but Studiodesk offer that as an extra too, as seen in Eddie's pic above.
    Plus...they do have padded arm rests too! I only just noticed. Like a studio mixing console has. I might still feel I was sitting at the Soundtrax I still wish I had! :facepalm:
    All of these photos are so Star Trek.
    And that video was cool. Reminds me how I learnt the hard way about how proper seating, and 'mixable' lighting, are very important when we're always doing it.

17. Smoove Grooves

@johndoehizzle "one moment you're Artist 1..." That. Totally relate. I allow it all to come through me now, so I have to have different guises, projects, and outlets for it all. I've depped within many genres, and also had to endure genres I wasn't necessarily into when I was younger, training & working in live sound as monitor engineer. So I learnt to be open to it all.
    Funny how others sometimes never see how energy efficient that is.

Re. your first paragraph, I feel ya bro'. Sounds like you're dealing with it well. Well done.
    Yes, we are all very fortunate boys & girls to be doing what we love. For work or for a hobbie. Good to remember and be thankful.
    When I have time to myself, I wake up, go and look at my home rig, and I'm like "It's Christmas every day!"
    And then I remember how I never ever had a Christmas day as good as this as a child.
    Only once got what I actually wanted/needed. (And it was music related! haha)

18. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yup. It’s one the reasons I wanna sort my space out now and get some rack space sorted. Planning to pick up the Neutron, Model D and Pro One synths at some point this year. Might also be tempted by their RD-909 and the MS-101 too. I grew up when Behringer was cheap and to be avoided, but I think these clones thy are making with an RRP of just 299 are a no brainer cos they all sound great from what I’ve heard. Longevity might be questionable, but at the price they sell they shouldn’t be too difficult to replace in a few years if need be!

19. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

It is about that coffein no longer works very well instead you even might get tired.
    Essentially it is teh same like with other drugs such as MDMA :)

20. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

The thing is that most studios look like alien motherships and or steam forge control rooms.
    No wonder there is no inspiration at all.
    What I always refer to when I need a little reminder: