Not feeling my creative space and need inspiration!

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Bunford, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I've had the same current setup for the past 3 or so years now and I'm feeling a bit bored of it and going into the space doesn't really motivate or inspire me any more. I'm therefore consider changing it up and looking for some inspiration.

I think one thing I'm looking at doing is to DIY a new desk that can have a nice flow and give me some space for outboard gear, a 49 keyboard and not feel limited, restricted or dull. If anyone has any awesome looking desk ideas, feel free to share as I'm still trying to sketch out some ideas!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Slaking_97

Slaking_97 Kapellmeister

Smoke some weed and you'll have all the inspiration you need without changing anything

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

Nah, heroin and mdma is better. And maybe some DMT.
    THEN smoke some weed.
    When you've finally lost your mind, use LSD - can't get worse, just look at me.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  5. Slaking_97

Slaking_97 Kapellmeister

For sure but weed has reversible effects these ones don't have lol. Last thing someone wants i guess is to make his great but last piece of music in his life.
    I thought that LSD was going to make you lose your mind

6. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

inspiration is not and has never been about the gear, these are just tools that helps you to create the exact reflect of what you have to express.

can it stimulate your creativity ? yes, of course, but inspiration is a blessing : you have it, or not.

some musician are very productive, creative, however, they're not inspired.

I don't know you, but maybe you're just bored, and the reason why is because until then you've limited yourself to structures that need - if not to be deconstructed - at least to be extended.

take a break : at best, listen to completely new styles of music, that you would never listen to,
    at worse, just live your life like any "normal" human being, and do nothing (musically speaking).. maybe then, you'll get to the point where you're so bored with idleness that you will rediscover what you've had right in front of you the whole time and enjoy it again.

another option : learn an (new?) instrument.

:mates:

:bow:

Edit / P.S : don't do drugs, it has never made people more creative, it's a legend.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Weird that you say that, because I find real comfort and great inspiration in a setup that I know and am familiar with. However, you are saying it's just a desk and that could make your workflow better. I feel you in that case. :wink:

New gear is an endless pit of no inspiration, but joy with having new gear. Nothing more. One has to learn how to use that gear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. LightOfSirius

LightOfSirius Noisemaker

Taking a break is a really good solution. But changing the setting/workspace also works great. I have been producing in a dark room, dark desk, dark acoustic foam panels.. and recently I changed it all to white/brighter colors It is a huge difference. I feel much more creative and motivated when making new songs. But I guess every interesting change make you feel "something new" and this is always kind of motivating (at least for me). Weed can really push the creativity but for me the mix&mastering was getting a lot worse.

9. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Home made desk and bass bins..... Home made desk.jpg

2 x big bits of ply sheeting must be wide enough to be rigid, cut out shape for desk with jig saw, support at back against wall with 2 x 4 legs and brackets, support at front with aluminium legs £6.99 B&Q. Cut out second layer, support with some shelving wood attached with brackets. Varnish the whole lot. For the professional look use an old MFI draw cabinet and clad with same ply..... :)

Cheap and cheerful, looks the part. I did get a higher in woodwork…..

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Try to find an old bookshelf and fill it with beer :wink:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. YFManagement

YFManagement Kapellmeister

after bout 20-30 records in or till i come across a real banger (not fake bangers) then id feel safe cleaning my workstation and take 2-3 days off and (let my subconscious work on ideas and things to do) gaming or tv shows i always come back rejuvenated with ideas. but everything has stay the same for me as i create in my own space. alternatively you can go to other studios with people you're comfortable sharing ideas with.

12. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I'm pretty sure what you need is a lava lamp my friend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

From time to time, inspiration stops by and tells me to get to grips. I just have to be prepared.
    The best thing I can do is to prepare a set of tools that don't get into my way while laying down the ideas.
    For me, the bigger issue has always been stuff that either didn't work or was just too slow and more or less killed the inspiration. Loop recording is a nice option too.
    Interacting with different people has been a much greater inspiration trigger than anything I've ever changed in my house.
    Again, wherever you work, just make sure nothing gets into your way.
    BTW, I'd keep the shelves in the garage so you have something to burn when your heating is dead in winter :winker:

14. Slaking_97

Slaking_97 Kapellmeister

Talking seriously: don't smoke weed! joking, but for sure there are some broken periods for everyone I guess, when you have zero inspiration and you think you can't do anything regarding music, but that's not necessarily related to your gear. You found inspiration in your studio setup before but what about finding inspiration somewhere else now? A few things you can do to look for some inspiration:
    1. Explore deeply a new/unused VST or gear you have in studio
    2. Actually stay away from music production for some time and go on a holiday/a far place from where you live, like someone before me pointed out. You really shouldn't underestimate this option, it always works for me. When i go on holidays those 2 weeks per year I come back home with tens of ideas for new music.
    3. Explore a new form of art (painting, placing a fire extinguisher in the middle of a busy street, etc. you know, modern things)
    4. Remake some songs you like (this gives A TON of inspiration guaranteed)
    5. Take songs you know and songs you've made and rework them: reverse, cut and reassemble, stretch, change pitch and tempo, etc
    6. Buying some LED stripes to put around the studio if you already haven't
    7. Sing (?) i don't know if it works for everyone but singing always gives me some inspiration
    8. Watch movies & tv series (*_*)
    K i could go on for some hours but i hope you can find something that you feel you want to do in this list. I didn't include the options of the other guys of course apart from the "stay away from music" thing.
    You can take inspiration from all these options but you should really put some time in finding the best things that inspire you, so you can go and pull them out whenever you need them. For example when I'm stuck with a song and don't know where to start from I take some acapellas and start from there! (I make mostly pop)

15. Rudy Manterie

16. Rudy Manterie

And get that Dennis Desantis book publ. by Ableton, definitely. Has helped me often when in was in a rat. Heck no, that rat was sweet. I meant rug. -> first immediate idea, create the ruggabilly genre.
    Checked ruggabilly on Google.
    I MUST GO NOW!! See you Coachella main stage soon.

17. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

18. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Do you drink Coffee / consume Coffein / Alcohol or other Chemicals ?

19. Rudy Manterie

Let me guess, if yes - take moar!

20. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

the opposite, take none and reset your body chemistry. Drinking coffe each day is anything else than optimal.
    If you consume to much coffein you body cant releasethe uplifting chemicals anymore and you get down.
    Try it, some days without coffee and then again a strong one :)
    Same with weed or alcohol, you get fucked up and your emotions are not your natural ...
    That might be good If you want to make fucked up music :)
    Since I like to make music around emotions it is important for me to get to earth and feel where I am myself and not result of a checmical disbalance or weedish lazyness

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  21. cruzall

cruzall Member

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List