Not any religion- Do you believe in an intelligent GOD?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by foster911, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

You used wrong assumption that the whole sky would be filled with stars, that's what I was referring to.

But there's other kinds of matter than baryonic matter, and you're completely ignoring spontaneous entropy decrease and quantum fluctuations (the "Bolzmann Brain", if you will). So lack of observability and unknown factors means we've no clue whether the universe is finite or infinite in spacetime.

I'm no astrophysicist, but to my understanding at least the spatial finiteness could be solved if we could figure out the curvature of space, but at the moment we can't be sure of that.

2. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

You have discovered the 'Big pendulum theory' :like:

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Actually, we should be more concerned with our present and future situation on this earth of ours.
    How do we ensure that our children and their children still find enough food and water and live in peace with each other.

4. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.
    -- Frank Zappa

And with these lovely truthful and beautiful wise words of knowledge I shall bow out of this thread. I'm not doing any good for myself or anybody else at the moment. Cheers and have fun! :yes:

5. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

How about "Big Bangdulum theroy"?

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Thank you for the wise words and conversation and I say goodbye with this short video.

Best of Marvin (The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Wisley

Wisley Member

There are so many planets, stars, galaxies and living things, none of them are looking for God and they are happily continuing their activities and lives. Man is the only creature who seeks God, and since he can never assert with assurance whether God exists or not and what he does, he starts storytelling. Once, stories about God were religious, then philosophical, then scientific and finally musical. But they're all nothing but stories. Like the stories that songwriters tell in their songs.

Don't think you're going to be different, you will eventually be a storyteller with your music.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Maybe God is looking for us. "Where did I put that damned planet, it was around here someplace".

9. Wisley

Wisley Member

Maybe God didn't create us at all, and we were created in an uncontrolled process as a byproduct...:dunno:

Maybe if he finds the earth, would destroy humans. Because human beings are so voyeuristic in his works and want to know God's private affairs, and he doesn't like that.:dunno:

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1
    Read the Bible guys, you might learn something.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread, enjoy!!! :guru:

11. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I have read the bible, and I learned it's bullshit.

12. Wisley

Wisley Member

The Bibles have been written only to be reference points. For every thought, work and purpose, human beings need references or else they will suffer from depression and distress and lose their motivations to continue their lives.
    These books aren't compatible with scientific and rational reasons in many fields, but at least they create peace of mind for many in society. The majority of people in society don't seek to discover the truth, they just seek inner peace.

• List
  13. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Which means you learned nothing.:dunno:

14. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Apparently there really are ways of surpassing the dizzy heights of Mount Stupid.
    Drink Wonko-Logic; howl to the angels; trust your wings; take a leap of faith.
    Might help to check which way you're flying before take-off.
    Have a nice flight - and do watch out for that inevitable landing.

[​IMG]

15. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

On behalf of atheists everywhere, I offer this grovelling apology.

[​IMG]

Day 2: The Commandments - Executive Summary
    [​IMG]

Day 3: Supreme Goodness
    [​IMG]

Day 4: Creation and Existence
    [​IMG]

Day 5: Time's up
    [​IMG]

Day 6 : Judgement Day
    [​IMG]

Justice is Served
    [​IMG]

End of Daze
    [​IMG]

Fire and Brimstone
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  16. refix

refix Platinum Record

there is no evidence that lack of reference points leads to these effects in people.

science and rational reasoning are the best reference points that a person could have. that is the one of the reasons they were developed.

have you read any of those old books? you have to cherry pick and then apply a heavily biased rationalization in order to get any peace of mind from them -- unless your concept of peace is brutal application of power and death. i have no concrete evidence, but it appears that the majority of believers do not read their book. religious scholars cherry pick what information they want and weave it into a narrative that suits their purpose. it is old world equivalent of a branding exercise.

books like the new testament are very different to the original documents. i am not questioning them as literary works, but it is good to know the history and context of them if you choose to read them. for example, the one of the earliest known gospel was written, speculatively, 50 to 150 years after what is speculated to be a historical window in which a jesus like figure could have existed. it was about a non-earthly figure the christ jesus who battled with its other non-earthly friends who had daddy issues. apparently at one point they decided to go to earth but only made it part of the way for some reason. you can see a kernel of a story that probably predates latter judea that could retroactively be placed in a time and place. mythological figures were often given earthly forms in order to be relatable. i am no expert and this is a massive field of inquiry. some people argue jesus was an actual historical figure. it could be that the mystical non-earthly aspects were imposed on a composite of preachers who were known to exist at the time. no one seems to have evidentially definitive answers. things just have to be pieced together from disparate sources.

17. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Read ;)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

The real shock here is that “#entanglement” implies that the #universe is non-local. What this means is that “our sense of the universe as an orderly expanse where events happen in absolute locations is an illusion”. How can we wrap our head around living in an environment that is behaving so strangely and in such a different way from our most fundamental and basic ways we understand and experience it?
    Schrödinger is telling us that you could visit the Liberty statue from Philadelphia and you could open the car door from your flat. Is it magic? Is it madness?
    Are we asking the right questions? Are we missing something? What does this all mean?

https://extrahumans.com/the-quantum...J3L3HAV0N4PSccQpSMrP_imVupr46QNw4QmORWWFbPy2I

19. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

• List
  20. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

First carefully distinguish between 'Nothing' and the 'Concept of Nothing'.
    If you lose sight of that important distinction - even for an instant - your dabbling with pseudo-philosophy-of-science will collapse in a heap.

The 'Concept of Nothing' is by definition an abstract concept which is created and sustained within human brains - it lives nowhere else.

Actual 'Nothing' by definition does not exist! - anywhere, anywhen.

You can NOT assign ANY physical properties to something that does not exist.
    You can NOT assign ANY physical properties to 'Nothing'

Hopefully you can see that the above means...
    If you actually believe you are discussing 'Nothing' then your experiment falls over completely at Step 1)

Step 1) and all subsequent steps are just mind games (for better or worse) being played with the "Concept of Nothing". They make no connection to 'Nothing' whatsoever, because, as already stated, there can never be any connection to, or properties of, 'Nothing'.

---

Shorter version of all of the above is that you can have more fun, and with the same level of intellectual legitimacy, by just playing around in your head with the Infinity Stones from Marvel's Avengers. Do enjoy those fantasies, just remember where they live.