Nostalgic Synth/Organ - Ulver

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Everged, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Everged

Everged Newbie

Hi there guys.

At 2:04 during this Ulver cover, you can hear some 80s style synth with organ like qualities.

It's a sound I've heard in countless 80s scores and songs.
    Ive tried quite a few of my go tos but I'm struggling to recreate it.

Any tips on vsts/presets/soft synths would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

3. spyfx

spyfx Guest

hi Everged,i think that organ is a church organ,if that's the sound you're looking for i just found this for a start :
    http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=622

https://www.garritan.com/products/classic-pipe-organs/

https://www.samplephonics.com/products/free/sampler-instruments/the-leeds-town-hall-organ

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2017
  4. Everged

Everged Newbie

Hey man. Cheers for the response.
    It certainly has some timbral qualities in common with a church organ. I believe it is an 80s era synthesizer though.
    The most likely candidates are the Prophet 5 or the CS80, but none of the sounds I've auditioned using either Arturia or Omnisphere are close enough.
    I also tried out the Juno 6 to no avail.

It has that sort of John Carpenter, 80s cinematic vibe that I'm currently really interested in.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. spyfx

spyfx Guest

hmm,i can't hear the sound so clearly in the mix,do you have any other examples of the sound you're looking for ?

6. spyfx

spyfx Guest

7. Everged

Everged Newbie

This one is quite close.
    I'm struggling to recreate it or locate a suitable preset though.

8. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

The 70s-80s cinematic vibe has to do with the reverb>distortion>filters that are used more so than the instrument patches themselves which are commonly more dry in their default state. I've run across the "dracula theme" style preset several times when browsing plugins that have organ patches. But it's our duty to sculpt the atmosphere we want things to sound like they are in.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  9. Everged

Everged Newbie

That's really useful man. Cheers!
    I did suspect that there was loads of additional processing being done to the sound. The reverb itself is a bit of a giveaway.
    I suppose I've been spoiled a little by the Repro-1, because the effects suit included in the presets gives what is essentially something much closer to an end product.

10. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

I know what you mean. A lot of synths are easy to go to when the presets(especially lead synths) are already thin and warmly saturated enough to sit in a mix better from the start. Still, nothing beats carving away at those dry and heavy patches, seasoning them to our taste, and setting the table ourselves. You get in the habit of doing that and every time you hear a clean dry patch you just "know" what places you can take it to.