Nostalgia strikes back!

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by tulamide, Jul 1, 2017.

1. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Hey guys,

since lately the 80s are very prominent on this forum, wether synths or songs, I thought I'd share a real piece of the 80s. We did it for our guitarist. He normally was bored, because all he had to do was a little riff here and there, and he was desperate to go wild for once. So we wrote a backing track and let him just play along. There are cuts in there (guitarists will notice that some parts' transitions couldn't be played live), because, well, he got carried away too much at times.

I like it still.

Oh, and a prize goes out to the first one who can name the song from which we sampled the conga beat loop!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0x7u53xsde4zrt/The Last Song.mp3?dl=0

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • List
  3. Rippin'!

4. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

sounds kinda like Lovin' every minute of it...

cool guitar foray though.. he certainly aired it out..even it's not reproducible live

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2017
  5. jollythatthing

jollythatthing Member

mama genesis

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

Best Answer
    Depeche Mode - Christmas Island :wink:

7. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

conga beat reminds me of something Eno or Gabriel would use.

8. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

WOW great tune man. I love it. Great performance and the mood reminds me of a place like a strip joint late at night with a gorgeous sexy gal giving all she has...

9. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Likeee :wink: ... at 1:15 thought Sisters of Mercy kicked in lol

10. Beth

Beth Guest

:guitarhero::metal::guitarhero:no prize for me sadly....i dont recognise it but very nice guitar and i like the track :like:

11. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it!

@au38wzh I bow to you, Sir! You really know music!

Indeed it was taken from DMs Christmas Island, which was the B-side of 'A question of lust'! I'm not aware of any concert where is was ever played live.

12. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

Good Stuff! :wink:
    Thanks for sharing, and don't hesitate to do it again when/if nostalgia strikes back again!

13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

and what was the prize behind the Christmas Island door .. ? :bleh:

14. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

Well, let's say I know DM :) Anyway, thank you very much for the bow :wink:
    Did you put more DM (Recoil?) sounds into this track? Well done! I like it :wink:

By the way: Christmas Island was the intro of the Black Celebration tour in 1986. First time I saw DM live and also first time I heard this track which was amazing!

15. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

I should have guessed it from your avatar icon :wink:

Not in this very song, but in general we did a lot of dm sampling. That was due to my buddy being a die-hard fan of DM. I wasn't. I was more into hardrock and wave, like AC/DC, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, etc. But he owned each recording that has ever been done of DM, and that includes not only the official albums and singles, but also each and every bootleg-cassette. There were days where he could present a dozen different intros to stripped (including all the fails of Dave before they introduced the 4 beat ride cymbal). But he also provided me with all the really good songs that were NOT in the charts. That's how I began to love DM (blasphamous rumours is my alltime favourite because of the lyrics).
    One day, I wasn't a fan yet and did know little of DMs songs, I came up with a bass line that I liked. He immediatly came up with a dozen of themes and I thought, he would finally break out of his comfort zone (which was arranging), so I supported him. Years later I found out that we presented live so many times a blatant copy of 'Photographic' (it turned out that my bassline was the one from the chorus). I felt so embarrassed, because we even had our own lyrics. I hated him for that at least an hour or two!:rofl:

And thank you for the info on the live presentation. I'm sure my buddy would have known, but we're not in contact anymore!