nord vpn

Discussion in 'Software' started by rah, Nov 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rah

rah Ultrasonic

hello everyone
    first of all to the mods if this post is inappropriate or in the wrong place I apologize in advance.

I'm hoping to get some opinions and answers to the use of Nord VPN which I see "promoted" on the sister site

I have found one thread from back in march 2018 about the discount etc and that's nice, but I have a few questions that I hope people can give me answers from their own experiences regarding payment, torrentapps etc.

I have contacted Nord , but the response appears to be quite slow and not forthcoming.
    thanks

3. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Latest info about Nord VPN that I have (please correct me if anything has changed):

Logging NO
    Traffic UNLIMITED
    OpenVPN YES
    WebRTC (leak) protection POSSIBLE (browser addon or manual disable)*
    DNS (leak) PROTECTED
    DPI Bypass POSSIBLE (bypass censorship for OpenVPN - you probably don't need it yet and I think already implemented)*
    Own client YES
    Connections 6
    Seat Panama
    Registered negative experiences (like P2P not allowed or much worse stuff..) NONE

Would I recommend it to a friend - YES. It is high up on my list (until someone proves me wrong). You should however do some research on how to setup your network, system, browser.. to get the most out of any VPN. Sometimes people are complaining, and then you see they have 3rd party cookies on.. (also see how to disable WebGL, WebRTC, aso)

And even then, don't do anything REALLY stupid on the net! :no:

*edited

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    • Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

simply put, it's the industry leader.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. rah

rah Ultrasonic

thank you
    ..and can you recommend any sources on the best way to setup?
    sorry to ask all these questions but I've obviously become out of date on this and my current setup of torrent and iblock has become flakey !

was it easy to pay a year in one go and then change it not not having reoccurring payments ?
    thanks again

6. And so would I. It does what you need a VPN to do and does it well.

7. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

You mean the whole system? I'm sorry, but that would take pages. It also depends on the reason you want to use VPN, where you live,.. but (un)fortunately this is a hot topic and there is really a lot of info all around, starting on the page of your VPN provider. Keep in mind that for now this gives you a "privacy" layer, a IP geolocation mask and (even with a good setup) you make it harder but not impossible to track you down ..so don't go pure evil! ;)

And finally, there are guys here much much smarter than I am..:yes:

8. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Based upon generally positive reviews, I joined nord vpn about a month ago. Setup was a absolute breeze. Essentially you just have to make sure that anything sensitive that you use (i.e. torrent clients etc) are set inside their app to be automatically 'killed' should the vpn connection gets dropped. Their software is really very easy to use with no discernable hardware performance impact...

...now the not-at-all-so-good news. I'm based in London, UK and my max web connection slows from well over 20 mbit to max 1 mbit every time i go through any of nord's servers (no matter where: uk, ireland, denmark, sweden, germany etc etc)... now this i could live with, however i was additionally seeing the vpn connection frequently slow down to well below 56k modem speeds before losing connection altogether generally three or four times an hour - especially if downloading files. And yes, i was using their specially designated P2P servers for any torrent or file downloading activity.

So now i simply leave nord vpn switched off unless i'm certain that anonymising is essential - and then i fire it up with fingers crossed i'll get my sustained 1mbit... Perhaps it's just my snide ISP (virgin) penalising encrypted vpn traffic? However, I see nord are very busy with their sales marketing of late and maybe my woes relate to increased uptake of their service in london/uk, in lieu of them adding more servers here... I feel i have to give nord some slack 'cos i've read what appear to be genuine users (american) who have been hitting nord speeds that i have so far never even remotely experienced...

9. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

e.g.

10. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

..deleted

11. Pronto

Pronto Kapellmeister

(from correspondence)

- thankyou for your correspondence Mr Hruse unfortunately following review, we find what you have suggested distasteful
    -----
    - after a meeting we have decided that as we have an offer window this month, we would like to offer you an additional 2GB per month for your suggestion..we will nominate the male colleagues in customer services who would like to be serviced.
    -----
    -thankyou for coming over and carrying out what we'd talked about, however we felt it a little inapporpriate that you serviced not only our male colleagues in customer services but all of technical and bills and payments on both floors.
    -----
    -we were glad to be able to help by taking you to the hospice to have your stomach pumped that night, and will take care of any bills of course..on another note, we have found our male colleague work performance ratios increased quite substiantially in the weeks after you visited us. you may be interested to know we've installed a semen vending machine in two of our three rest zones.
    -----
    - yes we are aware of the original offer of increased bandwidth and capactiy for you, unfortunately it appears that the window on said offer had closed, so it appears we are unable to offer you the additional capactiy at this time.