Noob question about EQs

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by HappyFork, Jan 26, 2020.

1. HappyFork

HappyFork Ultrasonic

So even tho I should know the answer of the question at the current point in my music production career, I still dont get when to use different types of EQ.

Let's say I have the FabFilter Pro-Q 3...it can do everything that an EQ needs to do, but basicly boosting frequencies and cutting frequencies.

But now, why would someone use something like the SSL Strip or any other great EQ instead of the Pro-Q3?

Do they sound fifferent even tho they would cut the exact same frequency with the exact same settings or boosting frequencies in a different way?

I just dont get why I should consider having more than only the FabFilter Pro-Q3 if it can do anything in the most comfortable way :P

3. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

a strip has comp,eq,gate and sometimes other stuff

proq3 is great but not sounding as good as others...
    there are iir and fir eq's...
    parametric eq are mostly analog emus...parametric force to use ears...
    graphical eq is for surgery stuff
    --
    whats best sounding digital EQ ?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  4. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Analog modeled EQ have specific curves and Qs and behave differently – that's why they sound different. But most important of all: they make you listen because there's no display! SSL EQs have crazy amount of gain (+/- 18 dB) and a boost like they provide would look absolutely look crazy in Fabfilter, but yet it sounds good.

For me a "modern" EQ like ProQ is a problem solver and cleaner. removing resonances or rumble.

Everything els I use either SSL Channels, Neves, API or Pultec EQ emulations.

API EQs for example narrows the bandwith while increading the amount of boost/cut (proportional Q) while SSL EQs widen the bell if you do increase the boost/cut if I recall correctly.
    A neve EQ has some nice bass and is great for shaping snare due to the fixed frequency points.
    Pultes EQs work completely different as well.

I'd say familiarize yourself with which works best on what and build from there. I have a thread dedicated to analog modeled Compressors and EQs with a list of which can be used when: https://audiosex.pro/threads/5teezos-analog-modeled-audio-plugin-lists.30646/

5. HappyFork

HappyFork Ultrasonic

so ProQ3 is great for fixing unwanted frequencies and analog EQs are great for boosting and enhancing sounds, right?

Thanks for the share :)

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about Pro-Q3's phase alignment, especially for single bands (see DMG Audio Equilibrium free phase align), but the sound difference is most obvious compared to analog emu EQs. There's no way to emulate this with Pro-Q only.

E-series is constant, G-series proportional, iirc.

7. Nomo

Nomo Newbie

Depends on how you’re using the eq. If you’re using it as a utility (onjective-oriented processing like lo-passing, cutting annoying frequencies or cutting clashing frequencies etc.) then by all means establish a go-to like the Pro-Q3. In these scenarios you aren’t looking for the plugin to have character, it just needs to do its job. Now if you’re using eq as effect in the truer sense of the word - then things get interesting because no plug-in is the same. Analogue emulations in particular are designed to pass on some of their unique characteristics to the target track. Sometimes the differences in sound are very subtle, sometimes not - its up to you to experiment and find the ones that compliment the sound you're going for. You might also find that some eq’s do a particular task better than others. As an example - when I want to boost very high frequencies, maybe to add air to a vocal, I reach for Dmg audios’ equality plugin. I simply like how it sounds in that range. So its not just about sticking to what you know works, you’ve also gotta take time to expand your creative pallet you know?

8. Gyro Gearloose

and...
    e _ narrow bell
    g _ wide bell

9. relexted

relexted Producer

Paragraphic/Surgical EQ for removing resonance is considered transparent.
    Channel strips offer the analog world of colour, similar to mixing desks, with fixed frequency values. mainly to boost or shape a sound.

10. No Avenger

Well, not really. Both have adjustable Q and proportional and wide bell is a bit contradictory.

11. HappyFork

HappyFork Ultrasonic

OK, I got it :D thanks for the info, next time I wanna bost frequencies I try out something else than Q3 :D

12. Gyro Gearloose

:woot::banned::deep_facepalm::mad::rofl:
    sry ..i forgot how it was right...but back in time i only use e channel never g channel..and at some point i found explanation but i forgotten it in meantime,,:deep_facepalm:dont use it anymore

bell curve in shelf ? dunno anymore

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  13. No Avenger

No, he meant in the E channel you can switch the low band from bell to shelf and the G channel can't do this.

14. Gyro Gearloose

thx man...this was it :deep_facepalm:

and thats why its great for low end....but more for classic recording genres...

15. No Avenger

Yeah, Future House Boom Trap is probably not the targeted group. [​IMG]