Non-Contest #5

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by aschnt, Oct 2, 2024.

1. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
    so for this one i get feelings of wonder, curiosity and excitement around change - so those are the feelings i created from. i started with recording my baby grand piano, then added delay to the track, so it could be more celestial, detailed and layered. then recorded my acoustic guitar and put a phaser over it; to give it like a morphing evolutional quality to emphasize the change happening in the image with the creature. theres also a reversed drum pattern sample at one point to help enhance that feeling of transformation, my bass guitar to add more weight to the arrangement. genres as usual i thought matched the pic​

genres: space rock and experimental

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆​

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  2. Aidene

Aidene Platinum Record

@Grape Ape :goodpost: I really like your track. Sounds to me like a very cinematic 'end credits' of a movie vibe :keys: :thanks:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Bassifondi

Bassifondi Platinum Record

@Grape Ape Sounds like you've returned home, very nice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

@Grape Ape .. Psychedelic kitty-puss ponders the probability of passing pulsars!

I love it...tasteful with the class only well oiled fingers tickling the keys of a baby grand can bring to a song. Excellent tune...smith!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

gracias @Lois Lane , since i know youre into gear and appreciate instruments, its a Bergmann Baby Grand that i bought in Colorado and had shipped back home; its my heart (though it took four months for them to ship it just a couple states over lol) - the guitar is also a vintage Guild dreadnought from the 70s, that i bought off of a friend; it stays home for obvious reasons

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. aschnt

aschnt Platinum Record

@Grape Ape amazing, i love the way you interpreted the piece ! Beautifully sounding piano for a very uplifting track, full of hope. And the delay as the rythmic base is of wonderful effect, love it ! merci bro :)
    Very "optimistically-wondrous"

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. macros mk2

macros mk2 Rock Star

ahhh so pretty, very sparkly. love the phaser. the drums made me say,"i would have never thought of that." great stuff!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

if anybody cares, a friend of mine who's learning fl studio kept asking me questions about the track so i made him a video showing and explaining all the elements (its on the youtube thing if you want to have a look and are curious about any sounds, but as i say the track is extremely simple).
    --

im going to collect here all the tracks we have for now, so when i've got some time i can listen to them all and they are all in the same place (maybe it'd be a good idea to put them in the original post towards the last week??)

GRAPE APE

MACROS MK 2

AIDENE

BASSIFONDI

ASCHNT

Last edited: Oct 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. aschnt

aschnt Platinum Record

With this picture i wanted to go for "doing the most possible with the less possible" if that makes any sense. Compared to previous years i really like keeping it at a minimal track count, so here there's 8. This is mostly loop based so maybe a bit repetitive because this time i also wanted to experiment with fx live recording on all track simultaneously. Not easy. Still had to retouch a bit and do some "enhancements" afterward.

Plucks are quite simply made out of the amazing The Grid, pads are from Osirus & Legend HZ (thanks Lois, phenomenal one indeed and very easy to play with).
    Frankenstein'ed the drum out of some sample bits i could find on my pc.
    And to make it all sound better, threw a bunch of filters, eq and volume/panning tools. Effect on the drum is Kaleidoscopes Stereo from Wave.
    I tried making it 5.1 but not sure about the result.. i'll maybe try harder some other times...

Have a safe trip, hope you enjoy :)!

10. aschnt

aschnt Platinum Record

good idea! i'll keep the original post updated with the tracks that come up :) thanks

11. Aidene

Aidene Platinum Record

@aschnt Luvit! Two thumbs up! :like: :like:

The kaleidoscope drum FX sounds very cool as is the panning on all the instruments especially the 'wind up springy sound'. Nice little meows in there too! :goodpost:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

@aschnt : sympa mon ami, not only your piece but the artwork you choose for us as well, merci. and yo i definitely get what you mean, my approach at first was the same to keep it more minimal, i think you did a good job. it really creates this mechanical almost robotic atmosphere, very much in line aesthetically with retro futurism; feels like this could be in a cyberpunk setting and definitely sounds otherworldy. overall good quality and thanks for holding it down for us with the hosting skills homie

13. aschnt

aschnt Platinum Record

@Aidene glad you like it :) ! tried things a bit differently this time, but i had a feeling that synth would tick your ears

@Grape Ape my pleasure brother. and thanks all for being such amazing participants. a friend should join in too later. still 3 weeks so plenty of time left for anyone to gift us with their work !

@Backtired very nice to see how you made your track ! thanks for sharing :)

14. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

a few -personal- thoughts for the current trax

Grape Ape: very nice when the strumming comes in after one minute. i like the melodies, and i think this one fits the image very well with the sounds u picked and the phaser. especially in the second half.
    Macros MK 2: i liked the bass and the groove, but the overall atmosphere is a bit too dark/noisy for my taste. with a different sound i would have liked this much more. props for the tiger sample it sounds cool in this context.
    aschnt: we start very well, nice, i like the intro. cool arp, ok. lets see if the track can keep up with the strong opening. ok nice im liking it so far. i was waiting for a stronger beat to come in (especially when the change happens at 3:45ish), but i guess this is supposed to be more relaxed and soft. good job, the sound is clean. i like the approach of limited tracks
    bassifondi: the intro is extremely nice. the dissonance of the melodies and the chords is not my style though. despite this, it manages to transmit some images and some thoughts thanks to the different sounds oh nice beat towards the end btw. a full ambient/downtempo beat with the intro piece and the plucked thing would be really cool imho.
    Aidene: very nice, not much else to say, i enjoyed it :)

compared to mine, all your tracks sound much more organic! need to get better in that area

15. Bassifondi

Bassifondi Platinum Record

Thanks. I generally throw down skeletons of the track as quickly as I can using the vsti usually use. Lately I've been using the Teletone Soulfi kontakt drum.

16. aschnt

aschnt Platinum Record

@Backtired Yes, the original idea was to do just 2 or 3 synths that would start as random drops in water then morph into something ambiant and very much panned. But while doing the plucks they sounded very nice when playing with knobs over the pads so plans changed. Yet still wanted it to be somewhat ambiant. I agree, after relistening with fresh ears, this could have been pushed further.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, highly appreciated :)

Still 2 weeks and a half for some other entries to drop out !