NON-CONTEST #3 has concluded

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by Bassifondi, Aug 9, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Aidene

Aidene Platinum Record

Much appreciated @OOM ! Thanks for listening and your thoughts!

:thanks:

2. Smeghead

Smeghead Producer

I have a song I did a few years ago that fits... I'm just not motivated to go to those lengths. Maybe I'll goof around with something. We'll see :dunno:

3. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
    so for this one, it has such melancholic atmosphere with such low, dark energy, but weirdly comforting, gentle and beautiful; while being simultaneously harsh, with a heavy pull thats distracting. really reminds me of my depressive states, in that state it twists whats beautiful, which makes it harder to see than usual - its around this happening to a women i see. so in the same vein as past submissions by others, I hit up my homie Tori asking if she could sing something for me; and she came through for me nicely with her vocals. everything else was played and arranged by me like usual around her singing. i reversed one of her recordings and put effects on it, distorted and put a comb filter over another; to match the ugly and twisted thoughts i get, which is also apparent to me in the artwork; but also at one point to represent how that space starts to effect your actions. as usual the genres i mixed i thought matched the art

thats all the feelings behind it i decided to use - was fun though and has been a healthier activity to pass time on the road. music is my best friend and songwriting is my favorite thing to do, so thanks

genres: emo-folk & industrial doom

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆​

*also sorry @Bassifondi i just checked my soundcloud for this contest today

• Love it! Love it! x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  4. Aidene

Aidene Platinum Record

@Grape Ape really good composition ! Loved the lofi sounding felt piano especially and of course the vocal is sweet ! Maybe i have my monitors up a bit loud but when the guitar first came in it nearly gave me a heart attack jump scare :wink: ...my heart rate is settling back to normal now though.....on my set up the guitar sounds very loud in the mix (maybe deliberate i dunno). Not a criticism, could just be my end???

:goodpost:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

@Grape Ape .. liked the composition and grateful for the heads up from Aideneski about the potential ear damage whilst listening with ear buds, Bud!

6. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

@Grape Ape Fuck yeahhh! Happy to see you've entered something here!! :goodpost:
    I love the juxtaposition of the soft piano and the harsh guitar; the vocals layered over the top give it an overall ethereal, otherworldly pensive feel. Your choice of sounds and composition match the picture superbly! Your submission is an excellent interpretation of what the visual artwork projects...:wink:

7. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

@Aidene : thats actually a synth i designed to sound like a guitar with phase plant; same with the scream in there, thats me through iphone; then i made it gnarly with that synth - but yes, its suppose to be overwhelming and distracting, its doom

@Lois Lane : it should be fine, songs not even -11 Lufs; i forgot im dealing with senior citizens tho lol jk - will check in for your submission, thanks for sharing

@OOM : glad to have you here OOM and your thoughts, you also have the funnest username to say

8. reticular

reticular Producer

@Grape Ape - idk but you might be winning this one unofficially, i was doing something but now i have to scrap it, i cant just post some thin non distorted...i mean good luck everyone else too..

9. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

@reticular : lmao! yo thanks homie. im sure youll have something good for us again this round too; stoked to hear it

10. reticular

reticular Producer

Something very simple, repetitive and rough, but i steered away from going dark and spooky.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. aschnt

aschnt Producer

@reticular i found it easier to listen to tracks on the topic after finishing my own to avoid feeling down because it doesn't sound as good or avoid getting influenced. And glad i did it this time too, they're all amazing and fit so well with the picture. And about yours, again, you found some very nice sound design in there ! You say you went away from dark and gloomy but this is still quite ominous ! Fine horse she says, no no, scary one.

@juan/ it's a very puzzeling piece for me, instils both uneasiness and prettyness, although sometimes i want to bang myself on the wall to make the suffering stop. The strings sound very much Elden Ring (or maybe i got too influenced spending too much time on it). Ambiance absolutely nailed. It feels old but contemporary. Bravo !

@OOM wonderfully haunting as well, such textures..! amazing.. it feels like under water in space, which makes no sense. So spacious yet you can't breath. Love it. Well done mate :) !

@Aidene so cinematic and peotic as always ! This granular electricity is just perfect for the piece, idk it may trigger ADSL ptsd from early years, or Cyberpunk imaginary feelings. With those chords it brings a deep and sad melancholy. Excellent job once again !

@Magic Max is this Dolby approved ? Feels like listening on a cinema sound system haha. Can't breath either. This takes you deep under water as well at some point, where the landscape is as much beautiful as the place feels dangerous to remain.. Again, an excellent depiction of the art piece..

@Grape Ape yup.. unfortunately don't have any whisky remaining at home, so had to go grab a beer. I guess your track smashed the melancoly button already well tickled by Aidene's track... it's a call for barley ! Been said already but nice composition, love the contrast between sweet and round keys and the electric and very agressive 'guitar', although I agree, your synth performed some drilling in my ears too ! But the volume was a bit high so.. fault on me.

Again, very good job all... you sure are excellent to set the mood and the atmosphere ! I'll be taking holiday off country for some time so in order to make it in time i went back smimming in known waters, rather than experiment endlessly. Especially after listening to your amazing art, it feels a bit out of place, but here is mine...
    I decided to interpret the feeling of obsession or hantise under another lense (hypnotic ? you gessed it....), it gets dark and ungulf what's left of your being when you let yourself go obessively; so you work to make it pretty, as a snake charmer, hypnotising the vicious beast !

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  12. Aidene

Aidene Platinum Record

@aschnt
    As the final note fades into the night,
    The charmer bows, the scene feels right,
    But in the stillness, a lesson remains,
    In the dance of power, trust wanes.
    So let us marvel, but tread with care,
    For the hypnotic dance is a fleeting affair,
    In the heart of the charmer, a story unfolds,
    Of love and danger, of secrets untold.

a most excellent track ! :goodpost: :speaker:........enjoy your hols!

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. aschnt

aschnt Producer

thank you for the meditative words :) .. !

14. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

@aschnt .. Nothing's out of place and your piece sounds fantastic. Everyone has their unique vision and filter through that...vive la différence I'm glad that you checked in with your submission before you're leaving on holiday! Have fun and bring us all back t-shirts from where your going.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

@reticular : very psychedelic and nocturnal, i fuck with it. i am curious what your thoughts were behind that dialogue sample? seems like an interesting choice for this

@aschnt : merci, fait plaisir de savoir que tu vas bien et happy vacay! - im all for this dark downtempo-y synthpop, has a really nice sense of groove which is definitely hypnotic, futuristic and seductive

16. reticular

reticular Producer

@Grape Ape - appreciate it, even tho i´m working on a replacement, i just woke after a nap and thought how terrible it sounds.

The dialogue sample is from an old movie about Native Americans, about a woman who manages to ride a horse that was wild. Hence being very confident and a parallel of that where a stoic man is more than a wild horse.. which makes a woman try different masks like in the theme picture in an attempt to ride him too from her biological motives, making mistakes and never solving them. Stoic exsample is N.Tesla in this case, highest objective pursuit.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
  17. ULX

ULX Ultrasonic

Being in the heart of Europe and creating such things is truly amazing.

18. aschnt

aschnt Producer

say no more, hopefully they sell some in the desert of Chile, else i can bring you some sand and pictures of the naked sky ! Thank you for the kind words brother :)

thanks mate. Don't know if you were able to move in already, but sure hope you find your place of heart after all this travel :) !

music knows no borders

19. ULX

ULX Ultrasonic

Are you sure these are music?:shalom:

20. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

@aschnt : oh yeah i didnt say last time, the person i was talking too in the other thread was moving; i have a house that i own, im never moving again lol, that was a misunderstanding, its all good - im on a regional tour here in the U.S. playing shows till mid September, thats why im traveling