Nobody should mix on NS10's in 2024

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tzzsmk, Mar 20, 2024.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

interesting points:

thoughts?

ps: it's not a shitpost but also bit of funny, so I guess Lounge section fits here xD

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Paul has a history of making controversial statements. Either as click bait, his autism or, both.

It's amazing how many sets of those Yamaha monitors are still being used by top mixers. If the mix sounds good on these, the mix will probably translate well to other listening sources according to those who comment on why they still use them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

NS10 have always been used precisely because they are the worst monitors ever. the fact that they are present in every studio on the planet might lead some to think that they sound good, but they are there for exactly the opposite reason: these monitors are specifically asked to suck. in addition to this, precisely because NS10 are so widespread, they have become a useful reference: when I enter a studio for the first time, I have no idea how the room is treated: this is the moment in which I I cling to the sound of NS10 because I know very well what they sound like

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

I haven't watched the video, but people shouldn't be using NS10's since far longer than 2024.... they are the opposite of the Fletcher Munson curve in frequency response, and while if you can make something sound good on those, it generally translates, they aren't the only one in that game.... and having used them for a long time back when, they are like getting a pencil stabbed in your ear over long sessions as are fatiguing as fuck.

They weren't designed to suck. They just coincidentally ended up where they are...

And CLA uses them? So what. That guy hasn't changed his signal path in years, and it's his assistants that do everything and he just nods off on it. Uninspiring mixer. Utilitarian, but not an artist. He's no Alan Moulder ffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Yeah, this is exactly correct. If you already built up an absolutely repetitive process and always mix the same genre, it doesn't matter.

But if you are still in the stage of building up a repetitive process (which almost no one is because fiddeling around is the reason why most people do this activity), then it is definetely advisable to strive for technical objectivity. :yes:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
  7. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Producer

Also if you can stomach the guy's god awful accent, like what the fuck did he say, really?

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

if you want a set of "bad monitors" to check translation with, and that is your preferred second, third, whatever #, set; have at it.
    but these ns10's and newly made impersonators are becoming more expensive. bad monitors for the prices of nice ones is creeping into the territory of superstition. "but i've been using these for x# years!" is more often the preface to a statement that will fly in the face of any common sense.

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

yeah, I don't know if I would use the word "superstition" so much as "stupid" myself.

10. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I thought he is irish gnome engineer? xD

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. angie

angie Producer

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Producer

Hats off to Phil Lynott, Rory Gallagher and all the other greats tho, but this guy... ggrrr, lol

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
  13. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

Sorry but it's boring.

14. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

NS10's are just tools, if you learn them they really allow the mid range to be dialed in... and this is where most human hearing is.
    So to learn NS10's means the tool allows you an advantage come mix time. Some feel they are worth the effort, others don't.
    To each their own tool choices,

15. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

I have been always using NS10 and I will always be using em

not as main monitors obv, I have another 2 couples of monitors (1 with subw) plus 1 hifi and a mono speaker

if you are used to NS10 you will never miss the upper midrange balance, fact

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

If you are used to the English language you will never miss the punctuation, fact.

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

You are missing something there after the word "language". :trashing:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

One thing, besides the midrange that i love about NS10's is the transient response. You can easily identify a dull or overlapping element on a mix on those speakers. It will scream if something is more charged than what it should be. Love for mixing drums, but for sure not a mastering tool where you need to be precise with top and low end.

It's not a good idea to trust only a pair of speakers. I can't mix secure with less than 3 and a headphone