No more ad-blocking in the future?

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by ArticStorm, Jul 26, 2023.

1. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I was a huge fan of Opera until they went with Chrome and it was no longer possible to have side tabs. FF for some years now. I would switch back to Opera if Chrome implemented side tabs but it doesn't look like they ever will. Side-tab extensions are crap in any version of Chrome I've tried.

2. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

The European Union is setting up a system of censorship for all social networks. Brilliant!

Digital service act.

Based on vague notions such as hate, manipulation and disinformation, which are not legal notions but hollow moral concepts.

Read on Euractiv
    https://www.euractiv.fr/section/eco...-qui-seront-soumises-a-un-regime-plus-strict/
    You can choose your language.

3. modmid

modmid Ultrasonic

If there is a lock, there is always a key to open it :yes:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

These POS's pushing their ad bullshit and then getting pissy because other monkeys won't respond to their capitalistic garbage can go suck a bag of dicks. This whole idiotic ad push bullshit was as old 10 years ago and is more so now. They don't want to load you a page because you wont deal with their ad garbage? Fine. There's plenty of other sites that will more than likely load a page and not cause a fuss. That's the one thing if anything monkeys can count on for the internet is redundancy. I won't view commercial garbage even when watching TV so that tells as much about how I want to deal with ad garbage on the net. More than likely IF any of these bozo's actually try and implement this, the result will potentially be twofold - there will be hacks built for ALL browsers that get around the NAZI-esque pushing of garbage ad's, and/or there will be simply less usage of sites that try to enforce these idiotic measures on folks who do not want to deal with it. I don't think it needs to be said that the internet is not a necessity and can be dealt with as such.

5. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Aye - been using win7 for internet access for 14+ years. I froze updating on FF and chrome about 5 years ago. Occasionally I'll get some B.S. about "please update your browser" - I just either ignore that garbage or go to a redundant site that doesn't piss and moan. I have been ad blocking YewTewb for years with a block-list I acquired quite a while back that apparently doesn't exist anymore because it makes YT completely AD free. :rofl:

6. stopped

stopped Producer

if ads become required to view content then I suppose I'm glad I've already downloaded enough content to last me the rest of my life

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Thats what i am also seeing as last resort if i am forced to really need to enjoy ads.

i have an offline image of the english wikipedia with small images. Its amazing how much time you can spend searching for something and then follow the hyperlinks.

So i have looked into Safari, it based on WebKit, which was forked before Chromium forked it. So basically we have 2 browsers in the end, which are not chromium in some way. FF Gecko, Safari: WebKit core.
    Didnt know that Safari has such a market share with almost 15-20%, but i mean its the default browser on Apples devices.

Probably, but you make it harder for the normal people to block ads in the end.
    Right now its very easy to just download extension to block, but i know people, who dont even know to do that.
    Imagine now from the people, who run now extensions, who will just give up?
    I mean how much can annoy them till they invest time to research ads blocking?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
  8. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Maybe Extensions won't work anymore but there is Software like ADGurad which doesn't use Extensions, blocks Ads in any kind of Software and is way more efficient than Extensions and the Best there is no Way that Google can block something like this.

[​IMG]

• Interesting x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  9. ArticStorm

well ive been using an ip to block ads on my android, but i have to deactivate it when im logging into WLAN, otherwise it doesnt log into WLAN.
    But it is maybe an idea.

10. stopped

stopped Producer

there are websites that won't load content if the ads are not loaded, so its not an infallible solution (good suggestion tho!)

11. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Im still using adblock plus on all browsers with excellent success. but if it comes down to it THIS is what will exist over those Browser-EXT tools for sure. Of course it all depends on how ads would be pushed and what tech they use to spy on you. It may be necessary to combat all this a few different ways... Browser hacks may be inevitable for some of this stuff and these tools for other stuff.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  12. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

It would be interesting to find out what the hit counts and earned revenue numbers these "websites that won't load content if the ads are not loaded" had BEFORE implementing those draconian advert policies and what they look like afterward. My guess is that they have shown marked decline in both categories after they applied the policies.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  13. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I mean, the only reason I'd ever install some shitty google (yikes!) browser is if it is used in a MITM attack on this shit. I guess we could all do sth like seti@home, except all give our faek, unused browsers to a botnet that will (legitimately!) spam this trash out of existence? If it ever goes live? It would take some effort (given that it's what, 500 bytes or sth?) but having their servers go down daily would get this idea fired. Out of a cannon. Into the sun. The only difference between this and the cancer genome project is that this will help humanity far, far more?

14. Davman

Davman Producer

Louis Rossmann has a video about it. YouTube is the reason why I use an adblocker. I normally use my laptop, but I used to listen to YouTube while I was in bath via my phone which has no adblocker and the amount of adverts on a John Cordy video made me get out off the bath and turn YouTube off.

I'm not a fan of Google after they closed down my university email address and if they think that I am going to listen to a mountain of adverts to increase their already outrageous tax dodging wealth then they can dream on. All I will do is use Jdownloader 2 to download YouTube content so that I can watch it ad free on my PC at a later date. I guess that this will make some people watch less YouTube content and more of the other video hosting websites.

15. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

"Chrome has detected that it is connected to an on-device VPN. You may be the victim of a hacking attack. For your own safety, Chrome will not connect to paypal.com while "AdGuard On-Device VPN" is active. For more information on how to remove malware from your phone, click here."

"Chrome has detected that you may be the victim of a DNS hijacking attack. Please use your operating system's repair function to restore your `hosts` file to its default state."

"Chrome has detected that you are connected to an untrusted DNS server. Warning: Your data is at risk. Please reset your DNS settings to their default or click here to use Google SafeDNS"

16. ArticStorm

thats the plan youtube wants to do i guess.
    Or watch this ad and you can search 10 times. I can see this coming ...

thanks for all the ideas here and discussion. Appreciate it.

Thats what i fear, Google wants all this hide behind, WE make the Internet more safe.
    And that why nobody cant do anything.
    And since lots of pages use stuff from Google services, you cant even do anything about that, there arent simply any alternatives - Google has a huge monopoly in the internet, since its so easy to use their services.

17. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I can't remember the last time I used google's vanilla search, ddg is fine. I'm just looking for a replacement for google scholar, but I guess I can use base or core; or futz it together myself by using domains? =) It's bizarre, the level of gaslighting and (anti-user) stupidity in this company! Granny's search engine

18. ArticStorm

ohh it was long time ago that ddg sourced search results from Google. That is very good.

The question is how effective is ddg, last time i checked it did find less stuff that google found. Maybe this has changed, since it uses lots of more sources now.

I might haw to reconsider using google's search engine. i mean its just shortcut change for me.
    just hit d instead of g and i should be fine.

in 2018 i tried bing for a while, damn such bad results back in the days, found body parts instead mathematics stuff, google knew it without entering anything much further.

And the more sources approach ddg has, sounds very good.

19. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Is this on your Smartphone or on your Computer? Because AdGuard works different on Windows than it does on Android and iOS Phones. Also there are some Sites mostly Online Payment Sites which don't allow you to connect via VPN.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Also if google will switch to this System there will be new Ways brought to us by some developers, because there is always a way to get around such Systems.

By the Way for everything other than searching for Warez Stuff (because in this Case unfortunately Google gets the best results) i use Startpage.com for privacy reason and i'm always behind a VPN.

Fuck the Google Data Octopus (I don't get it why Google is not getting sued for their monopoly on the Searchmarket, also they got for their monpoly on the digital Advertising Market).

Google gets more and more to the Point where they are like US Robotics in the iRobot Movie that even Governments have no Chance against them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List