NICNT creator for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Fred Bloggs, Apr 18, 2021.

1. spncart

spncart Producer

Okay it's working now I forgot to apply:

xattr -cr /Applications/NICNT\ Creator\ 1.0.1.app

You should remind that in your instructions :)

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

@Fred Bloggs didn't force you to use 5 digits, if I remember well (my memory is sort about the recent past) I tried his creator tool with 3 digits, too, and the issue continued for me. The problem may lay on the HU and JDX and the header and footer of the .nicnt content.

I just want to emphasize one thing again, if you create the .xml file, too, it doesn't mean you don't have to go through the adding process with Kontakt 5.6.0

3. spncart

spncart Producer

Yeah sry I didn't mean he forced me to, but by default his program sets 5 digits and sometimes it's greyed out. Only 3 digits work for me, this was the issue I identified once using NICNT Generator.

Anyway thanks again for pointing out NICNT Generator, which handles BOTH the NICNT and XML - yes I had to enter them one by one to create clean NICNT/XML pairs and it took me half the afternoon to reinstall my 200 librairies xD but it's now working perfectly on the spot!

I'm simply entering random 3-digits, and using 5.6 to add thereafter. The Kontakt Scripts also work but to be honest it goes faster using 5.6 than entering Terminal each time.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  4. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

Careful when choosing 3-digits SNPID code. You should check first if that certain code isn't already used by other library, especially libraries that come with .nicnt file officially.
    That's why the 3-digits only numbers are mostly occupied. You can try mix of letters and numbers. If you choose letters between a - f, in this case the old Kontakt 5.6.0 will add it flawlessly but if it contains other letters, it will create the .xml file with three zeros that you have to change manually afterwards in Service Center.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Noisemaker

I think maybe a variable you're all forgetting is that for Kontakt 6.5 or later, it seems you need those HU and JDX portions of the nicnt. This was the catalyst for Kitty's scripts in the first place. Also, what's the incentive to hold onto adding libraries with Kontakt 5.6? Who cares whether the libraries made with this NICNT Tool Fred Bloggs has made can be added with 5.6? Time to move on. Kitty's script does the job and better because a) you can add libraries en masse if you want b) there's no 000 in the created xml which happens 90% of the time when adding with 5.6 which you then have to correct manually, and c) you don't need 5.6 around anymore!

I haven't deleted 5.6 just yet. All these workflow changes are brand new so, let's see if they remain stable etc. But if this all holds up, then I will of course get rid of Kontakt 5.6.

spncart - you're being borderline rude/ungrateful to Fred Bloggs in my opinion. Maybe it's a lost-in-translation thing if your first language isn't English. Also sudo xattr isn't codesigning.

Fred Bloggs - I'm going to assume when you thanked jazzzz for the feedback you also secretly meant to thank me but just forgot. That's ok - I know you and I share a special bond where we don't always need to speak our feelings out loud ;P

I haven't used 1.0.1 yet, but yeah it seems that the 'creator' field having Kontakt entered into it was what was creating that incorrect entry in the RegKey field of the nicnt. I'm sure you've already sorted that out in 1.0.1. I look forward to trying it.

And I should say that I've been manually making my own nicnt files for around 2 years now. They've almost always worked, however, recently I was trying to make one and the library just wasn't adding/showing up in Kontakt for some reason I couldn't figure out. The xml was there. Pref files were there, everything. So I tried this tool which Fred opportunely released a few days ago and it got the library showing in Kontakt. So it's awesome and I'm grateful for it.

Fred, I think aiming for a combined app would be a pretty cool idea and you should definitely go for it. SNPIDer is still a little shakey, but a great idea and still helpful even with its kinks.

6. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Noisemaker

So report on version 1.0.1 Fred - RegKey thing is fixed, great job. However a new quirk has been introduced. I already had a wallpaper.png in the folder (there was no existing nicnt, I just sourced a wallpaper in preparation for this).

In version 1 of your software, the app detected when a wallpaper already existed. This new version seems to be ignoring it and overwriting the existing wallpaper with your temp/created one.

7. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

I can't test the situation on newer Kontakts on mac, that's why I asked you guys to check it.
    If 6.5 really created a new situation then I agree that KiTTY's scripts is the go-to tool. Then it should be included in every new Kontakt release on sistersite.
    Or as I suggested earlier, Fred could create a new app that uses KiTTY's scripts, too, so it would be more user-friendly than the original script that lacks some important foolproofness, like alerting the user if there's no .nicnt file present.

8. spncart

spncart Producer

I don't remember anyone asking for your opinion, who the hell are you? lol. Your command of English might be the issue indeed.

9. spncart

spncart Producer

Wrong (again) - you can't add libraries en masse with Kitty's script. You have to add each library one by one in Terminal, which defeats the point. Adding with 5.6 is still faster (unfortunately). No incentive but it's still faster until they come up with a better interface.

10. spncart

spncart Producer

It provides 999 possibilities which is more than enough for me. The likelihood of occupying an existing number is pretty low. And if such instance occurred I would manually fix in no time (it never happened though).

11. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Noisemaker

Actually, I am not wrong. You can and I have. It's very simple. You just select a parent folder that contains all the library folders you want to add. It's much faster than adding with 5.6.

The reason I offered my observation on your tone was a) because I don't want Fred to feel like his efforts aren't appreciated and in my opinion, the way you were wording your posts came across as a little blunt and critical. b) I thought you might not be aware that you were coming across that way and so could adjust your commenting style in the future. Up to you.

12. spncart

spncart Producer

Okay, thanks - my bad then :) Appreciate that, and gonna try right away xD

13. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Noisemaker

Enjoy! :)

14. Fred Bloggs

Fred Bloggs Platinum Record

Hi guys ! It seems my mail notifications are not working anymore for this thread, and I had'n seen how many posts had appeared ! Thank you @DarkKnight & @jazzzz for filling in for me :like:.
    I have posted a version 1.0.2 which has just a bit of tidying up.
    @DarkKnight, I was unable to reproduce the bug that you mention, about the wallpaper. I deliberately threw away the NICNT file from a library and my software proposed a new one, using my existing wallpaper. It did so without problem, but I'll keep trying. I've been looking at Kitty's scripts and they work really well for me. I'm seriously considering incorporating them !
    @jazzzz the HU & JDX are not the cause of problems and are in fact totally superfluous ! I've totally removed the "Product Specific" key from the NICNT file.
    I see there's mention of "generating an XML file". If it's the service center file we're talking about, it's very simple to do but I'm not sure why you would want to do it ! This is part of the library installation process, which Kontakt 5.6 does automatically, as does Kitty's installer script.
    @spncart - You can use any SNPID you wish. My software generates "safe" values that are perfectly acceptable. On top of that, it checks ANY value that has been entered to make sure it is not already in the Service Center folder, so you should be able to enter your own value and be sure it won't be a duplicate. As @jazzzz points out however, the 999 basic numbers are pretty much all taken, so if you start using your own numbers in this range, there's a good chance they'll clash with an existing library. There are lists of "known" SNPID numbers on the web. I'm not sure, but I think I may have seen one on this very site, somewhere.

15. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

There used to be cases when Kontakt 5 added the library without any error message but .xml wasn't created. So in that cases it was useful to create the .xml file from the .nicnt and put it in Service Center. But with the new versions of Kontakt this kind of issue is not the usual one.
    So if you incorporate your script with KiTTY's script then your 5 digits randomly generated SNPID code can work. I just alerted about the issue when using old method for adding library with K5.

16. Fred Bloggs

Fred Bloggs Platinum Record

OK. Thanks. I didn't know that could be an issue as it never happened to me. It would be a simple matter to add an XML generator, but I gather that this is now a thing of the past, from what you say…

17. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

You don't have to include an xml generator. The other nicnt generator was better in certain Kontakt versions not because of the xml generator but because of the code in its generated nicnt file that was compatible with the old method. The file generated by your app doesn't add in K5.6.0, so putting a generated xml doesn't solve it. But don't worry about it, it's a thing of the past, indeed, when using KiTTY's script.

18. spncart

spncart Producer

I don't know why everyone is saying most 999 basic numbers are taken. I'm creating random 999 basic numbers with NICNT generator and had no issue so far, worked with over 200 librairies! On the other hand, the 5 digits option didn't work for me in most cases, using your tool (Big Sur/M1).

19. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. spncart

spncart Producer

Yeah thx I know this list but in my case it doesn't matter because whatever code I generate it will work, regardless of any 'official' code.