Nice liquid funk with vocals and trumpet for my GF :-)

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by cyberluk, Sep 1, 2011.

1. cyberluk

cyberluk Newbie

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

There were vocals in it? :rofl:

Nice job :)

4. cyberluk

cyberluk Newbie

errr....vocal hooks? :) I did this in FL Studio and this is just rough mix without compressors and mastering. I don't know if that bass is good though, maybe I could replace it with some pitchbended sine waves - something smooth and deep...anyway I'm always open for some collab, I'd like to make something that could be released in the future. I bought FL Studio Producer Edition and some plugins like D16.pl group bundle, De La Mancha group bundle and some sample packs like Jungle Kit (just the drum hits) from Future Loops. I would never buy a sample pack with just synth loops or drum loops as they never fit to my track, I have to use pure samples and compose everything in midi. I just add 1 or 2 hipassed drum loops to fill the spectrum (some cymbal or bell loops etc.).

5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

yeah, i agree, honestly i have no idea how people use synth,bass etc samples... I mean.. If my song has.. 4 verse chord changes, 3 in the break, 3 in the chorus, how in the hell does anyone take a single sample and manipulate it through a whole songs chord progressions?

Never have understood that, guess i never will. I think that maybe most modern 'producers' don't use more than 3 or so chords in a song, usually sample packs have a chord variation or two, then maybe pitch adjust the last.

Who the hell knows.. I play my own as well.

Anyway, im a Live user.. FL scares the bejesus out of me. :rofl:

6. DJ Col

DJ Col Newbie

Nice :wink:

7. stayfunkey

stayfunkey Newbie

HI,

I think you have to check the main key the song is in,
    because the vocals are out of tune (not all of them though),
    and the pianoloop also doesn't fit the main chords.
    So try to pitch some sounds or vocal hooks.

Good luck

StevieJee

8. cyberluk

cyberluk Newbie

Thanks, you're right! The bass and trumpet is in C minor. I've pitched the vocal word by word in FL's Newtone to the closest notes of C minor scale, but I've placed a Pitcher plugin on it too don't know why and there's C major instead of C minor...I forgot to change it. Bass, trumpet and piano plays the notes of C minor scale except there's a C# note at the end of piano loop which is not in this scale, so that will be the problem. The song is in C harmonic minor scale to be exact. I don't play any instrument, but to have everything right, is it okay to have on instrument playing just one C note while at the same time other instrument plays A# + D5 + F5 chord, if all the notes are in the same scale? I haven't found any information about this.

9. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

:wow:

Might be easier just to learn how to play.. and sing :mates:

Anyway, yes , if all of the notes you are playing are in the same scale, they will match up.

Theres tons of stuff about scales online, with a quick Gewgle. :grooves:

10. cyberluk

cyberluk Newbie

Hehe play and sing :) , I have only MPD26 controller with 16 pads and I can't sing really. I've read something about chords and scales, but only with one instrument. One note at each 4 bar piano loop was a mistake same as pitcher on vocal with different scale. When I first read the post about the wrong scale here I thought that it might be more complex problem than have all instruments play the notes in the scale. I thought they have to play notes from the scale plus the notes from same chord or a chord that is in harmony with the other chord. I hope that they can play different notes of different chords, but the notes have to be just in same scale. Because if the trumpet plays A# + D + F chord in one moment and some chord with C note in it in other moment, it should be ok to have some long pad over 8 bars which plays just long C note even if C note doesn't fit the A# + D + F chord, but fits it's scale. I should read something about orchestra music theory or multi-intruments music theory o_0 ...I hope I find something that I understand on Amazon or Google. I prefer some book than some short article found via google.

11. cyberluk

cyberluk Newbie

Oh yeah I got it thanks to FL's piano roll, chord helpers etc....I thought I am in C harmonic minor, but I was in F harmonic minor, so C and C# can be used...I'll tweak it and upload new version...thanks to all for help!

12. cyberluk

cyberluk Newbie

http://www.pianoworld.com/fun/vpc/piano_chords.htm

13. cyberluk

cyberluk Newbie

yay...I downloaded that piano in midi and composed the other instruments to it without knowing it's key...I better do something by myself in the future as it isn't F minor, but a Phygrian scale using notes: F,F#,G#,A#,C,C#,Eb,F ....but F minor (together with C# major) is a compatible scale according to this: http://jguitar.com/harmonizer/scale2chord?scalelist=F+Phrygian or it could be also Aeolian: F, G, G#, A#, C, C#, Eb ...the difference is in F# and G notes and none of those is used in this midi piano loop, so it could be one of those, but I think it will be Aeolian as it's used more in a modern music and Phygrian is more of eastern music sort....duh...I'm a bit more clever than yesterday...

14. cyberluk

cyberluk Newbie

Got it right finally :-0 http://soundcloud.com/cyberluke/cyberluke-michaela-rough-mix

I wrote some chords for the trumpet and it was a G# Lydian chord by accident :-D , I did it by ear and it sounded good to me. I've found out that it was a G# lydian chord in the key of D# Major, so I adjusted the piano to D# Major too and now it sounds good. I've updated the Pitcher plugin's settings to the same notes, but I will resample it with Newtone later, because Pitcher does it in realtime with some delay and it goes to random closest note in the key which doesn't have to sound good all the time.

I've also found a new good feature of FL Studio's piano roll: http://flstudio.image-line.com/help/html/pianoroll_limit.htm ...it will automatically snap the notes to desired scale above or below current octave :)

15. stayfunkey

stayfunkey Newbie

Much better :)

Still the first "oehoe" vocalhook is out of tune. Pitch it.
    Good luck.