NI Reaktor doubts

Discussion in 'Software' started by Adam Ford, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Dude, those Kodiak Blocks are amazing. Because it's the Reaktor environment you can make ensembles with regular Instrument/Effect modules AND Blocks.

Many of us don't really have hours to kill but here's Deadmau5 installing and using Blocks. Yellow dots are Event Ports. White are Audio. There is an Audio to Event module (A>E) in the Core Library. Always look at the Properties (F5) tab to configure your module parameters.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  2. tun

tun Rock Star

blocks are no different to modules, there was nothing new added to the functionality of reaktor with blocks.
    "blocks" is essentially just a standard in which to create modules, they do not offer anything that modules didnt already offer, even different colours for event and audio signals.

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

@tun I don't disagree. It was more about aesthetics and making what was already modular "look" more physically modular. The change in interface does allow more interactivity without having to go to the into the Panel Edit.

4. tun

tun Rock Star

yea it was a good idea for that. it opened reaktor up to a whole new user base. i see a lot more users who do not want to go under the hood now using it happily as a modular plugin without feeling intimidated by the complexity.
    i would like to see how it changed their sales figures opening up to a whole new market.

5. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Last I heard NI fired a ton of people.

6. tun

tun Rock Star

oh yes i forgot about that lol. maybe it didnt work out so great then :/

7. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

i dont think reaktor was sourcing this...they have shitty agenda....hardware controllers are more important now...
    they are so used to have top code , i bet chef ettage thinks this is easy...would love to kno if stefan schmitt is on board still..

8. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Also Flowstone does that.
    http://www.dsprobotics.com/flowstone.html

However I find Reaktor, standalone or vst, one of the best environment to create virtual instruments.
    It reminds me of years of programming spent on NI LabView (National Instruments, not Native).

9. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

They didn't fire people working on Reaktor. I think most of them were working on hardware.
    NI is a very big company - in big companies there are many people that don't do anything and just pretend to work. Just look at Reaper (2-3? people?) and Bitwig (4 people?), U-he (again few people). These guys are really hard working to make good products. Meanwhile NI almost abandoned their softsynths and released underfeatured(for 2019 standards) and bugged Massive X.

10. ontschoeit

ontschoeit Kapellmeister

Bitwig Grid, Tal Mod, etc. etc., also traditional VST instruments already open up for endless possibilities. My idea on Reaktor:
    If you want to create an own instrument, if you need endless times endless possibilities... and if you want to say goodbye to music making, go for Reaktor. Plus, start learning Max/MSP. Write patches in VI. And you'll maybe put out a track in 38 years!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

What is VI?

Reaktor comes with tons of premade instruments, effects and some basic sequencers. It's definitely not hard to write real music without having to study it for 38 years (maybe less than 38 minutes will be enough to learn how to operate everything in it).

In general, there are several reasons to learn to "program" such environments - prototyping your own instruments, learning practical dsp or doing very advanced sound design (commercial vst software is only the tip of the iceberg of what is possible; and there are always compromises with realtime audio - notice that video editing and graphical programming are not realtime (and they are very powerful); in general, no normal musician would bother with non-realtime audio programs, but sound designers for movie sound effects could benefit from oldschool programming audio languages).

12. tun

tun Rock Star

thats good to know! the reaktor crew have a special place in my heart <3

13. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I want Reaktor specific hardware. :yes:
    Their existing controllers + Controller Editor allow you to do a pretty good job but dedicated hardware would be awesome.
    Touch screen, numpad and trackball would be awesome. A virtual patchbay would be even more so.
    Though, even after all this and the encoders, buttons, faders, pads and keys they put on there, you'd still have to use your mouse and keyboard.

EDIT - Also a built in interface like the MK3

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

You can currently make this in Max with custom keyboard with lots of faders and XY, joystick etc - maybe create a controller script for one of the good Roland keyboards that have such features.

I don't know what are NI's plans for the future, but they will probably code new versions of all their stuff (if it could do the stuff that Max can do currently (multi-core optimizations would be probably be the most essential), it would be awesome... it is very ironic that there are so few "polished" instruments made in Max ((I have seen one mini-DAW and several cinematic sound design vsts, also some academic midi composition tools; I think most people keep their Max instruments as "secret weapons", wow)) unlike the stuff that NI sells, some of which is third party - like the Razor synth or Tim Exile's effects.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

"Guilty"

I'll share mine when I've honed them to what I deem worthy. I'm OCD, so don't hold your breath.
    Max MSP is insanely powerful. Don't be intimidated. Break open your favorite M4L device and just start fncking around. Check out the Objects they have and Left-Click for Reference and Help topics. The examples they give are awesome because you can go into Edit Mode and adjust parameters and connections and even add your own modules as if they were actual Patchers and see what effect they have. You can truly learn a lot just messing around but paying attention.

Bottom left corner: 'Enable Operate While Unlocked' and you can USE the device while you create/mod it. You can even run the transport. 90% of the time the changes you make happen in real-time. In rare cases you may have to save and reload the device for changes to take effect.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. tun

tun Rock Star

that would be cool, although i think everybodys needs would be vastly different. you certainly cant avoid the keyboard when programming :)

you can make a virtual patchbay in reaktor, i saw a public ensemble that did it years ago, i will try to find it.
    or do you mean like a hardware one? that would be awesome! you could fake it with reaktor if you have enough I/O on your interface.