NI Guitar Rig 6 Pro

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Roject, Sep 1, 2020.

1. evolasme

evolasme Producer

Ok. so there is a demo version out now and i took it for a little spin and ffor just noodling round for 30 minutes i have to say I like it better then 5. more straight forward cleaner UI I like , the addition of the Softube RC 24 & 48 and sound good. all the old favs from GR5 are available in the "curated" section of the new preset browser. Also it looks like NI is trying to expand the use of the effects in GR6 in the preset browser there is a section called "input Source" giving you choices like GTR & Bass but things like keys, pads, loops & vocal presets. like this is a gtr sime but the effects can be used elsewhere in your mix ALa EZMIX. nice touch i think. all n all im impressed, nothing earth shattering but still pretty cool thing to have in your effects arsenal. also all the normal gtr extras are in it as well. .. looper metronome tapedeck pre and post & macro control. i give a it a b+

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

My Expectations for new Native Instruments Products: 0%

WHY, you ask?
    Remember Massive X?
    Remember how plasticy the new Komplete Audio 6 Interfaces feel?

Revamping old tech with new skins and a clever sounding marketing term like "Intelligent circuit modelling": 100%

The only useful thing in the GR 5 was the basspro amp. The rest I never used anyway.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  3. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

The question is: it it worth 100 $ to you for the upgrade price…

• List
  4. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I do, and it's still fantastic. Yeah they botched up the launch but as of now it's solid.

As far as synths go this is a brilliant piece of software.

5. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

Almost same video like previous one deleted last month

• List
  6. evolasme

evolasme Producer

already have actually after another 30 minute run to me its wirth having the full version. how much will i use it. I dont know but im pretty sure its gonna be useful for somethings. Ithe way i look at it if nothing else i get 2 softube plug ins :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

greetings to always gratefull:mad:

8. WillyA

WillyA Producer

I was trying it out yesterday. I'm not particulaly impressed. Not as good as TH-U imo. I'll bash at it again tomorrow

• List
  9. Scarlett

Scarlett Guest

Lol, how does it feel to get banned? KVR loves you I bet...

10. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Ah you listen with your eyes?
    Yeah it seems to be todays standard
    I play around with it for 30 min and it sounds crap absolutely nothing was improved since GTR5
    If they have a new algorithm they used it for the GUI not for audio improvent.
    If you need it as an effect "box" i guess you can use it.

• List
  11. evolasme

evolasme Producer

I only use it for clean tones NOTHING driven. and as far as listening with. my eyes I only like the new clearner GUI as it dosent burn my retinas like 5.0

12. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Do you remember when 3 other Softube Plugins were ONLY available for use within the GuitarRig Container at first? I am talking about the VC Series including the LA2A, 1176 and DBX160 Copressors. Everybody was so pissed that they were only available within GuitarRig that N.I. made the VC Series available as single plugins. ;) It's no fun having to run plugins within containers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

14. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

Have GR because it comes with Komplete. Also have Amplitube with almost all collections. I hate them. As someone said, I suppose clean sounds can work, but anything with having distortion sounds total shit. Plus all the cab sims sound awful as well so their no help improving the sound

It was only recently I found out about the necessity to use some direct box/buffer before your AD/DA interface or even that a buffered pedal will do. I tried the pedal thing. Sounds a hair better but still garbage. I realized the hd500x I have has input impedances you can select so I tried that. Again a hair better but still crap.

Funny, my line 6 modelers are generally reverse. I can get great distorted tones but cleans are shit, lol.

Amplitube for example, has soldano models. So I try the 'uber gain' model. You'd think it would have, well, lots of nice smooth gain. But no, even with the gain all up its just sounds buzzy, brittle, tinny shit. They all have weird artifacts included as well. Forget about using some modeled distortion pedal to help things along, because they sound a billion times worse. How the fuck do these two companies get away with trying to pass this stuff off when even the lowliest hardware modeler puts them to shame. GR6 seems to sound like shit too.

Was thinking about the IK multimedia Tone Zone box or whatever its called for the front end of the interface but don't want to throw money away (granted, I could return it but I hate the hassle)

Am I doing something wrong? I mean, theoretically the whole point to these software modelers is to be able to plug your guitar in and go to town. Instead its shit.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  15. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

A friend of mine sent me a guitar track where he combined analogue distorsión pedal with guitar rig and it sounded quiet good. May be this is the solution. Personally I don't like guitar rig either.
    A bit off topic but I recently discovered Hotone Ampero multi-effect and it sound quiet good.
    Obviously, digital machines, plugins or pedal, will not sound like a real amp and cab miked, at least not today yet.
    But with the Ampero I'm able to obtain that reactive distortion that's usually so difficult to get with digital emulations.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

Was that track isolated? A guitar track sitting in a mix is a different animal altogether as you know. Listening to even a properly recorded mic'd amp track in isolation once its all eq'd to sit in a mix could also sound kinda bad. OTOH, maybe that's the method to the madness of GR and Amplitube...... sound like shit right from the start in order to sound good in the mix, heh.

When I hear the few short isolated demo examples with this GR6, I can imagine how frustratingly crappy those sounds would be when you're actually in front of your computer really listening to and having to deal with it.
    And believe you me, I'm in no way some kind of amp cork sniffer.

Granted I have GR because it comes with Komplete. As for Amplitube, I guess i got suckered and kept buying their collections in the hope against hope the next one will actually sound good, lol.

I guess I should start trying demos of those more indie developers, especially that neural whatchamacallit one.

Or, I should just use record with sounds I already have in my hardware modelers. I'm just wierd though in that I paid good money for the software so I better be able to use it, lol.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  17. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

The track was isolated, as it was meant to be put into a mix, by me .
    But he prepared his track listening to a pre mix, so he made his sound knowing where that was going to fit.

18. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I've now dicked about GR6 for a bit and while the other criticisms stand (bad high-gain modes etc), I've found that 6 is really good for bass and various cleaner jangly guitar tones.

Is it a huge improvement after 5? Probably not, but you will get decent tones outta this thing.

I did not upgrade my Komplete for this, but it's working for me.

• List
  19. m.sarti

m.sarti Producer

Someone at Native Instruments told me that Guitar Rig 6 is a separate plug-in, so it can be installed parallel to GR5, rather than replacing it in the system. The thing is that I stopped playing guitar, but have always also used Guitar Rig for effects chains on other instruments. With a lot of things, development and evolution proceed and then come to a point of critical mass in their perfection of their concept, after which it's just revisions of their glories or adding stuff that doesn't truly improve, just qualifies it as "new."

• List