NEXUS users and synth experts please help!

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Jonny, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Jonny

Jonny Newbie

can someone with NEXUS help me out? starts at 1:04 I just got nexus and was wondering what they did to these sounds to make them sound this way, because when i put them together they don't sound much like that... I'm new to all this synth stuff but i love this EXACT sound, which i think is called a big room synth? sorry for the noobiness. ps. any tips about creating sounds like this is appreciated (Y)

3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

At 1:04 -1:14 what you have is a pluck (with a synth layer in the back). I am assuming that you already find that exact preset - or maybe is a layer of those 6 presets which appear on the screen at 1:04?
    ...But what is the context you put them in? It's the same minimal context as in the demo? Or your track is busier? This is valid for any track: as it gets busier (many elements) it gets harder and harder to make each one punch through the mix. In these conditions is not a synth problem, is rather a mixing one.

4. mixalis

mixalis Newbie

You can load on any pluck sound from any synth, maybe layer a few with some bassier sound (but don't over do it). In some of the layers increase slightly the attack. So the punch arrives from from pluck1 and the after-attack sound comes from pluck2. I am talking a few miliseconds here.
    Then, add a lofi effect, like Redux or Errosion, there are many that reduce the sample rate and bit rate. But just a little bit.
    That is what the sound at 1:04 has. And to make it massive: add some reverb on the layer's group bus, as a Send FX, and put a compressor after the reverb.

On the reverb compressor increase the attack time so that it does not interfere with the original. You can try adding some, not too much, distortion or amp on the group buss of the layered sounds (but not on the reverb sent).On each layer use your EQ to remove unwanted frequencies, and preferably the layers should use different freq ranges.

That is my friend how you make FAT sounds that cut through the mix like a knife through butter.

5. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Sounds like they just used the mod wheel and made it go up or down. Many of Nexus2 presets have that - and many of the demos' filters are done via the mod wheel and nothing else. So just make the melody and go in the piano roll and automate the mod wheel. For instance, at the start, have the mod wheel be all the way down, and have it rise so that at the very end it will be all the way up. I use Nexus2 very frequently in my music, and this is most likely the case. ReFX doesn't usually use any 3rd part effects in their demos. What you hear is basically what you get. Best of luck, mate. :mates:

6. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

did you find out which preset is used? Tried the listed presets, seems not to be one of them..

7. statik

statik Audiosexual

it's a combination of the listed presets

8. Impressive

Impressive Guest

I'm telling you, it's the modwheel effects from entirely within Nexus2. The master filter is modulated via the modwheel.

9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

If it were me, I would take those sounds which were used (It shows you in the video) and EQ them to fit in their own space within the mix and do as 'impressive' told you. Modulate the sounds via the modwheel. (You can also do it with an 'Auto Filter' within Ableton for example if you prefer.

10. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

lol mod wheel ...