NEWS: Spectral Plugins is closing down

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by RAIN, Apr 2, 2024.

1. RAIN

RAIN Ultrasonic

After careful consideration and deliberation, we have made the difficult decision to cease our company operations. This decision was not made lightly, but we believe it is the best course of action for the future of our organization.

https://spectral-plugins.com/

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • List
  3. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Niche software houses work doesn't pay nowadays.
    Cease operations is the only way out if no big company acquire it.

4. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I bought their spacer plugin, hope they keep it running on future.. I liked it with it's simple user interface

5. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I thought I read they don't support Apple silicon yet... all respect to them, and I'm sorry they are closing shop, but I certainly wouldn't count on future updates... and I don't know the story, or if the transition on that was problematic for them etc...

6. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

They are free as long as you subscribe to the newsletter (which is weird since there'll be no more news).
    Not of very good quality tho. For example, Spacer's granular reverb module starts getting awfully noisy when you engage both pitch shifting and feedback. Kinda makes sense if you think about it but also shows how little is going on under the hood.

7. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Well that's probably so they can get some value out of their mailing list when they sell it....

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Well shit, you might be right.
    Aw fuck.

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Hey, I have one email account designated for these kinda things, as most have, and just use that, and all good. :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

My 1 cent contribution. Times have changed. In times of crisis, what to do? reduces the profit margin to ensure cash flow, reduce updates (restrict to essentials), launch of preset packages that meet the demands of the largest group of consumers, etc.
    Few entrepreneurs in the field of audio plugin development have the sensitivity to understand and undertake this.
    But what we see is exactly the opposite. People want to continue with high profit margins:
    20%, 50% profit? never! I want is 100%, 120% 150%, 200% profit.
    It's quite difficult, especially nowadays.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I have infinite -> temp-mail.org. :winker:

12. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

the issue is already this turbo capitalist attitude itself. if a 40 hours per week self-employment feeds the family, you can continue it forever if you want. any economic organisation which continuously writes a black zero can survive infinitely long. so there is basically no need for non-performance profit for a company. this is all only because of the competition paradox ("because others do, too")

however, most people who suddenly stop selling their software simply have a seriously ill child to take care of. or decided to breed mountain goats instead. t hat´s anyones right, and you can not do it better as we see it here: setting the software free, so that support for the existing customers is safe for the future.