Newer version of VST plugins updating?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by thethirdperson, May 5, 2016.

1. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

Over the years I have produced quite a large collection of FLP files some of which use older versions of vsts. I don't want to have to hold on to such software titles like real guitar 2 when there is a real guitar 4 now or ozone 5 when I have a copy of ozone 7 just to be able to load old projects. Is there someway so that FL Studio can natively detect the updates of the vst plugins? I have a workaround that involves renaming the .dll files to their previous name and it usually works but is there someway that FL Studio can detect it automatically?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

As much as I feel your pain, and deal with this problem ALL the time, I think we are just stuck. Coding is so different with new features in different plugins etc.... some may be amenable to old patches, some not, but the solution you suggest I imagine would be wrought with all sorts of perils.

Like I have songs with Kontakt 2/3/4 whatever... no way will they open in 5 if I just delete 3, (patches, but not the plugin), and some plugins change their preset scheme etc... and Ozone 5 has features that 7 does NOT actually (like reverb), that could cause problems, ...

My solution is not ideal, but I have 1. a larger system drive now (1TB SSD), which handles some of the bloat, but if you want to slim down understandably , I would just 2. clone your drive, put it on the shelf, and boot from it when you need to get something from a legacy session etc... not idea, admitted.... Some companies are smart enough to handle thing with plugins, some are not, but ones with large changes, well, I don't think renaming the .dll files will do anything but possibly create problems.... but who knows, I may be wrong!

:)

4. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

That's a really good idea actually in regards to installing things externally! There are tons of plugins that I never use but when I'm working with someone else they pulled it up on an effects chain. I've realized though that most of

That being said I have had quite a bit of luck with just renaming .dll files. I don't think entire kontakt instances would work but for the most part I believe I have had some success with the musiclab realguitar/strat/lpc line of plugins.

On another note though for "software trial purposes only" I had to rename a massive .dll file to massive 1.3 back when there was some kind of workaround to make a nonlegit version not crash am I still stuck with having to do that? Planning an exodus soon (clean install of windows) .

Seriously though, I love this forum everyone's helpful advice on how to make stuff work and so much better then any companies tech support. :mates: