New Windows OS presentation on June 24th

Discussion in 'PC' started by shake_puig, Jun 12, 2021.

1. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

No mention about audio/video production, but the driver model is the same and WASAPI isn't going away so ASIO will work.

My guess, for audio production: no change.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

in my Parallels hackintosh VM, it seems to perform faster than Windows 10, but maybe it's because I gave it no internet access :rofl:

3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

no, they didn't even bother to buy bankrupt Cakewalk to have at least some Windows DAW past 30 years

4. juggz143

juggz143 Kapellmeister

It really just appears to be a facelift as this is the first time I've ever upgraded windows and everything just worked OTB

I was shocked, no weird driver issues, games work, video/music production programs work, performance seems to be the exact same as Windows 10 (with no technical testing), it was seamless.

• List
  5. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

• List
  6. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

No, it doesn't mean anything. That wouldn't even make any sense at all, since Microsoft's long-term strategy, according to their own statements, is to bring the different platforms - mobile, tablet, pc & xbox - together on one system or make them work together as good as possible. It's a dev version built on windows 10 that showcases some possible developments for a future update/upgrade. I'm sure it was intentionally released for marketing purposes in preparation for the announced press event, but I don't expect a consumer-ready release for at least 16 or 18 months. I could be completely wrong, but... nah, I don't think so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

Well it's happening on Desktops, they're not making it up.. lol
    1 2 3 4 5 6

But ofc, in other Platforms it might not be a requisite, specially Phones and Tablets..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  8. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Even if that's true - and assuming I'm right in my assessment - do you really want to run windows 11 on a 2016 assembly in 2023?
    That would be like running windows 10 on an E4000 series processor. That makes no sense at all... I mean you can, but it would just be stupid.

Edit:
    In my humble opinion, it would be a good thing if they throw the compatibility of old junk components overboard and rely on the last 2 generations. But it's microsoft... so i only believe it when i have seen it with my own eyes... in the release version.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  9. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

It's not a matter of True or False, ppl is Reporting this,
    it's happening and they found a fix/workaround..

Will this be the case in the Final release? -> we don't know.

Besides, in 2016 (only 5 years ago) there were very powerful CPUs with 8 cores,
    those computers still work very nice, unless you're into Video Editing ofc..

For Video, no computer is good/fast enough,
    but for Regular daily use, there's not a problem, regular users don't need more..

And even for Audio/Music Production those computers still work,
    for instance I'm using a much older AMD FX8350, and it runs Massive Reaper sessions without a problem..

I will upgrade it at some point, but not because it's slow,
    but because the Mobo cannot use more than 32GB RAM..

Just bear in mind the first Ryzens came up in 2017,
    are those CPUs old? I don't think so..

But ofc everyone has his own measure of things,
    some ppl will make a new build every year because they need it, or because that's their way of thinking..

10. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Imagine using a DAW made by MS :woot:

I mean "Windows Movie Maker" was good for what it was, but still this thought gives me the chills.

11. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

While MS is known for their "best in class" backwards compatibility (really!) I think this is one of the big reasons why they're doing 11, and it has nothing to do with a UI revamp, is to get rid of of support requirements. They sold 10 to OEMs and businesses that absolutely require support contracts, and this is a way of getting rid of legacy cruft and their existing support shit. Really.

11 is 10 with some fancy UI stuff to sell to the consumers but nothing more (even though I'm looking forward to WSL2 and winget stuff).

So... eleven:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Sure, you're right. But I wasn't talking about the highmid and highend class at the time. And I wasn't talking about the clock speed or the number of cores.
    One of the problems that windows has always had (simultaneous strength) - and that slows it down so much - is backwards compatibility with ancient architectures. Something that almost inevitably leads to poor performance optimizations on newer architectures. This ballast slows down newer architectures and their capabilities by up to ~40% in some cases in the performance they could actually deliver. I could say a lot of bad things about Apple, but this is one of the things where they have always been way ahead of Microsoft: performance optimization!
    I wouldn't go so far as to say they should do it the same way Apple does. But a certain limitation makes sense.

13. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Fun fact: Microsoft will happily sell you a support contract for NT for fucks sake. It will cost you gigabucks for sure, but if you're operating a multibillion industrial automation operation it oftentimes comes in cheaper to do that instead of upgrading.

14. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

True, I can understand what you mean..

If they cut on the lowest denominator it's good for them because then more computers/architectures will suport their OS.
    But it can be Detrimental in terms of absolute Performance/evolution of the software..

It would also help if they were a bit more open regarding the inner workings of the system,
    for instance the Thread Scheduler part of W7 kernel needed to be updated when the AMD FX CPUs came along,
    W7 was not originally made for multi-threading at that level...

That got presumably further improved/updated in W8/10,
    but what's the details?

And that also happens in software in general terms,
    which software uses which instruction sets?

Sometimes they tell you, this uses/needs SSE or AVX instructions,
    but what about all the other software?

Knowing this things will be useful,
    and I guess they could even tailor software for newer more capable computers if they wanted to..
    But again lowest common denominator, and we're stuck with SSE2/3 and MMX..

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Microsoft has set the end of support date for Windows 10 to October 14, 2025.
    In fact, they are "forced updates" and MicroSoft is a money machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List