New Vocal in mix, how to make it sounds like the other vocals?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Brendan, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

So I have a client who, after i mixed his song and had everything right, did a new vocal take but only for the end of the song (outro). The rest of the song has reverb, plate reverb, delay, has been dessed, etc. I side chained the effects onto the new vocals from separate channels and turned the outro vocals down but it sounds completely off.

Is there a way to mesh the new outro vocals with my songs already mixed ones? I was having fun trying to use similar effects to match the main songs but it doesn't seem good enough....

3. blackmoon

blackmoon Kapellmeister

Punch in?

4. I don't know what DAW you're using, but I'd just do one of two things. Drop it onto a new track and copy the channel strip settings of the existing vocal track onto that track. Simpler solution would be cut the old end section and paste the new in place. If it sounds too sonically different, there's always Brian Eno solution...."Honour Thy Mistake" make the new section sound different. Emphasise it. The Beatles did it all the time and everybody thought it was deliberate.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Make it either sound completely different, like Lenny said, or try EQ matching with the already recorded vocals and then apply the same treatment.

6. Double post.

7. WarpenN1

WarpenN1 Member

It happens quite often to me, if I continue some track after long time, Im usually trying to fix it with eq and use of dynamic eq to tame mild resonances to same level as previous recordings.

8. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

Do matching between 'dry' signals first, before applying FX to result. Look for difference in perceived loudness between original section and new tail, adjust, keeping hi-pass as required to even out on whole track. Use automation. Some top end filtering +/- of new tail may be required also but frequencies and amounts will be easy to determine. When done, bounce to new track, apply FX as on original vocal.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List