New Video, Pentatonics... Should we care

Discussion in 'Education' started by kjfarrell, Sep 9, 2016.

1. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

Here I do a terrible job of explaining why Pentatonics matter.

3. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

You fiddle too much around the subject by repeating the same stuff all the time, the video could be much shorter and to the point. It's enjoyable though

4. kjfarrell

That's what I'm like in real life too, always waffling on ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

The pentatonic scale is the melodic comfort-zone.

6. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Strangely enough, I really like Eb minor pentatonic, particularly on pizzicato type sounds.

7. Have you been hanging out with Foster, and I don't mean the lager?
    At 7:10 you say we are hearing a myriad of notes...nope, the saw is just playing one note that is harmonically rich.

8. foster911

foster911 Guest

I made this short (music?) on C minor pentatonic. Does not sound powerful to me. Absolutely there are good reasons why classic composers spent their whole life on the major/minor scales and the western art musics are mostly based on them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2016
  9. kjfarrell

What's the diff?

10. The difference is that one note of a sine wave looks drastically different than that of a saw wave, but the saw wave note is still only one note albeit harmonically more rich, both by what the ear hears as well as visually when viewed with an oscilloscope. By logic, one note cannot be made up of two notes. Two notes played together is called an interval, but one note has a fundamental frequency and can have many possible overtones. Overtones are bound to and created by the physics of the vibration of the fundamental but are not separate from the fundamental, they are physically one energy and are interdependent upon each together, portraying in sound either simple or compilcated tones. We will recognize the tone of middle C played on a piano, guitar, saxophone or as a pure sine wave produced by an oscillator all as that middle C, and we will certainly recognize that what they have in common is the fundamental, else everything would sound like two semi-trucks crashing into each other head on.

On the other point, I don't care if you hang out with Foster or not, it makes no difference to me, that is unless you want to try to finish a song with him. (Love you Foster, just messing around:mates:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. kjfarrell

Semantics

12. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

Pentatonics is great! And Heptatonic scale?

13. No way, José, semantics have no place here, hear?

When dealing in specifics, in this case definitions of music symbology and related usage, in order to be precise and not confuse your students when you don the hat of an educator, you need to use language agreed upon by all and everyone in order to convey a specific idea, or else you will confuse them or even embarrass them if repeating misinformation when trying to communicate an idea to others. Again, and this time I will not self define, rather copy/paste from various dictionaries I randomly searched for...

Two notes with fundamental frequencies in a ratio equal to any integer power of two (e.g., half, twice, or four times) are perceived as very similar. Because of that, all notes with these kinds of relations can be grouped under the same pitch class. (Here a note is defined as a tone with a fundamental frequency as well as its implied harmonics create a single note, harmonics are not notes)

Noun 1.
    [​IMG]
    musical note - a notation representing the pitch and duration of a musical sound; "the singer held the note too long" (here a note is a note)

Notes
    Symbols to represent sounds or pitches and duration of those sounds (again, a note is a note)

Would it be correct in saying a tree is made up of two trees, or that for that matter that a finger is an arm? Of course not, and in the same way that it is impossible for one note to be made up of two notes, though in this example harmonics are but bits of what notes are made of (though not in the case of a sine wave which is a pure and beautiful thing).

There are connotations and there are denotations, and connotations are wonderful when you are writing poetry or expressing feelings or also just being creative, however, when educating, the need for literal and precise and shared meaning is of the utmost importance, and for the very reason I have previously stated, denotation is the buoyancy that one needs to keep afloat the boat of precision in shared definitions. It keeps us all on the same page, and your inaccurate usage of the word "note" at approx. 7:10 only serves to confuse your audience/students and to redefine a word to seemingly only suit yourself, now for some unknown reason, after I tried to help you correct a glaring error on your part to help polish an other than that, thoughtful (albeit with a bit of "waffling on") and instructive video.

14. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

So, after saying that I really like Eb minor pentatonic, I thought I'd make a track in it. This is not finished yet and is only the second part when the main elements come back in. Now, before anyone says, I do realize there's way to much verb on the second kick, and I ballsed up on the arrangement at one point. Like I said It's not finished, and it's only the second time I've played it through. Just thought I'd put a sample here as the scale fits the topic.

15. Nice chillful tune!

16. foster911

foster911 Guest

This is in Eb minor pentatonic (better than my previous one but still doesn't satisfy me, I mean the scale is so limited. Maybe the reason why most Far Eastern musics based on that scale sound cartonish). I'm working on another project. If you'd want to complete it, I can post the FLP file.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2016
  17. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

The only limitations are in your mind, and in the sounds you use. There's nothing wrong with the scale, except your "classic composer" snobbery towards it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Thanks man. Still a bit of work to be done though.

19. Will SouthCape

Will SouthCape Member

It's not the pentatonic, mate. It's you.

20. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

My problem with pentatonic scales is when Im freestyling or improvising, I always end up adding the blue note(s). No matter what instrument Im playing

21. foster911

foster911 Guest

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentatonic_scale
    Using the pentatonic scale is a good way for children to make up their own tunes. :bleh:It does not matter too much which note is used for the start and the finish, because there is no feeling of a clear key.
    The notes always sound good when played together.
    Like I did on my second try using exotic harmonic textures.

I love Wikipedia.:hillbilly: Always helps me to prove my sentences in this forum that more than 99% of its members are against my ideology.:mates:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2016