New video card causing massive pops in S1

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by shortikno, Apr 19, 2019.

1. shortikno

shortikno Member

Hey all!

Just got a Nvidia gt710 vid card and installation went very smooth. But now I have a serious issue in S1. Any time I open a vsti gui I get massive pops and clicks and interrupts. Then when I close the gui it's fine. I have high DPI mode on right now, bc when I switched it to off...nothing played right at all (it was way worse). Does anyone have any ideas perhaps? I'm stumped...and a little afraid :dunno::unsure:

3. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

install Latencymon run a test and post the result here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. shortikno

shortikno Member

ok thank you here is the results. Never had ANY problems whatsoever before with integrated vid card. Problem now looks like its dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel. Thank you Daskeladden. Might you know the fix for this perhaps? I really do appreciate your help

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CONCLUSION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:03:44 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name: STUDIO-PC
    OS version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)
    Hardware: p6531p, Hewlett-Packard, FOXCONN, 2A92
    CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor
    Logical processors: 4
    Processor groups: 1
    RAM: 8183 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed: 2892 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 4445.467231
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 9.622219

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 4441.556120
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 4.401557

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 5510.800830
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.307206
    Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.742655

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 769626
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 157
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 14
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 9
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1193.388313
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 1.205708
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time:

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 2.503479

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 1800051
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 271
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 1
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: explorer.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 782
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 415
    Number of processes hit: 6

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 5.774687
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 1488.868603
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 0.743896
    CPU 0 ISR count: 67755
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 752.792531
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 1.159754
    CPU 0 DPC count: 349873
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.975029
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 633.526625
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.011954
    CPU 1 ISR count: 996
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 838.621369
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.037486
    CPU 1 DPC count: 3103
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 5.439997
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 3512.415629
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.218485
    CPU 2 ISR count: 19662
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 861.784232
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.456668
    CPU 2 DPC count: 24568
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 30.472890
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 5510.800830
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 5.683184
    CPU 3 ISR count: 681394
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1193.388313
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 20.788475
    CPU 3 DPC count: 1422779

5. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

post a screenshot of this while Latencymon are running:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. shortikno

shortikno Member

Thank you again. Here is the screenshot.

Attached Files:

7. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

8. shortikno

shortikno Member

Downloading now thank you so much. By clean install do you mean I need to uninstall anything currently?

9. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

uninstall the current driver, just search Nvidia where you uninstall programs. Then install the new, and click custom. There you will be asked to do a clean install and which drivers you want. Like I said only the graphic card driver and clean install. Also restart pc after installation

10. shortikno

shortikno Member

Ok thank you again. Trying that now. Is the HDAudio also an issue from that image i attached? Can i disable the nvidia hdaudio somehow since I'm not using it?

11. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

yes, always smart to disable audio you don't use (just right click and disable):
    [​IMG]

Like you see in the screenshot I have disabled my NVIDIA audio. You can just disable the one you don't use

12. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Try this, open the nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings, now you can either do this on a global basis or save a profile for your DAW but set power managment mode to, Prefer Max performance. Then set Thread optimisation to off. Thats it. Good luck.

13. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

yepp Prefer Maximum performance is always smart to do after you have the right driver installed.
    [​IMG]

14. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Ahhh.... I see... problem is solved yes? :winker:

OP now has correct driver?

15. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

I'm pretty sure that was the problem, but it could of course be crappy drivers. Not wrong drivers...

16. shortikno

shortikno Member

Man I wish. Tried all things. Problem still exists. Crazy pops and clicks and dropouts only when plugin or synth gui is open. Moving the mouse makes it worse. I really appreciate your help guys. Any other ideas possibly?

17. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

You can of course try an older driver for you're graphic card. By the way what is the exact brand and name of your graphic card?

18. shortikno

shortikno Member

Msi nvidia geforce gt710

19. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Okay, I see two versions of that card:
    MSI GT 710 2GD3H LP
    MSI GT 710 1GD3H LP
    So it looks like one is 1 GB and one is 2 GB ram. I have to know which version.

I have read that the drivers could be in conflict with wireless network driver. Do you have wireless network on your audio pc?

20. shortikno

shortikno Member

Yes I do. It's usually off while recording though. Currently off

I have the 2gb version

21. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

See the answer over about which version you have. Try and disable all the networks in device manager and see if that helps.