New Track, trying to improve, feedback needed

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Alfgw, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Alfgw

Alfgw Kapellmeister

Hello

I did this new track, I’m a newbie in music(I am a computer programmer) and it took me 2 months to finish it.

Would love feedback

Thank you for your time.

Regards.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. waverider

waverider Rock Star

I'm more or less a beginner myself so take this with a grain of salt.

I find the bass in the parts that have the vocals a bit too loud. And the voice is a bit difficult to hear as well. Probably needs some compression.

The chords seem a bit random to me. As if you pieced them together without having a clear vision. If you just started, that's normal of course. I'd recommend a course about music theory for EDM producers or something like that. And also a course on arrangement/structure. I.e., how to create tension and release, and keep the listener hooked throughout the track.

I like the overall sound of it though. I'd say, with more practice you can create nice tracks, and you have potential! Keep it up!

Edit: With all of that said, for some reason, I find myself hitting the repeat button. and you have a catchy voice!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  4. Alfgw

Alfgw Kapellmeister

Thank you, for taking the time to listen and your advices..
    Unfortunately the catchy voice comes from a sample, not mine.

Regards.

5. 9000k

9000k Producer

that plucky bass is way too boomy and like 4dbs too loud
    vocal gets lost sometimes
    it has the potential to be a good tune, needs some small (or not so small if we are talking about that huge bass lol) improvements though

6. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I'm not really an "EDM guy", per se, but I think I'd agree with waverider. The overall sound of it is actually pretty good. It just needs some cleaning up. The bass kind of has a sick sound to it (not the cool kids meaning of the word sick, however), so it appears to fall out of tune with the key a bit, and maybe that's what you're going for, but it sounds a little odd to my ears at times. But I mean, musically, this isn't too bad at all, and I think for someone just starting out, you've done a fairly good job. I like the chorus rhythm you've put together (at 0:50 ish).

I do think the bass needs to dial back a bit, and if it were me, I'd probably find something that isn't quite so detuned, but that maybe is just my taste! Perhaps its something else in there that just doesn't jive with the key? I'm not sure, but either way, I just don't like that weird bass at the beginning (but again, may just be me).

Also agree that some compression on the vocals might help you raise the level of those more to be heard a bit more clear.

All in all though, that's not too shab!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  7. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

The bass has something going for it but it needs a lot of taming (sounds over-compressed rather than lo-fi).
    If you sorted this out, I think it works well with the vocal.

I really don't like the synth drop. Just sounds like you grabbed a random midi file from a trance pack and stuck a random sylenth1 patch on it.

Makes it sound really old-fashioned but not in a good retro way.

8. Alfgw

Alfgw Kapellmeister

Thank you for your feedback, definitely will take your advices.

Regards.

9. Alfgw

Alfgw Kapellmeister

I updated the track, compressed the voice and enhanced the subs.

10. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

A definite improvement in the right direction but still ruined by that annoying out of place trance lead.

11. 9000k

9000k Producer

well there goes musical taste I guess, because for me this "trance" synth is the best thing in this track and fits pretty good :D
    that bass still somehow feels like it is trying to destroy my speakers but it is listenable now

12. Alfgw

Alfgw Kapellmeister

Thanks again for you feedback, will look again to the bass.

13. CrankHank

CrankHank Member

good work! go on and do the next one. listen and learn. grab mixing-lessons as many as you want or need, but do what you enjoy. we are all beginners. nobody has finished learning. nobody has a recipe for truth. this is really good stuff. it’s not my style, but that’s not the point. i hear, that you have a feeling for music and rhythm and for silence and variations too, which is most important to avoid boring repetitions. good luck !!!

14. Alfgw

Alfgw Kapellmeister

Thank's CranHank,
    I really appreciate your words.
    To hear the sub bass(and control it) I needed to use bass boosted headphones(Sony Extra Bass).
    The song was re-uploaded

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021