New track - desperately need help on vox (feedback welcome)

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by Blacklight District, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Blacklight District

Blacklight District Kapellmeister

I recorded a new track but am having the hardest time with getting the vocals to not sound like complete trash (perhaps it is my lack of vocal talent, but it's all I've got). The instrumental mix is still a work in progress as well - but that's a battle for another day, I suppose. I'm hoping if I can learn how to get my vocals to sound better, it will help me a great deal going forward. I've watched countless YouTube tutorials on mixing vocals, but they all seem to fail for me. My voice is deeper than most of the examples, as well as being in a completely different style. I've even paid a few people on Fiverr to see what they could do with it, but same thing. They tried to make it sound too Auto-Tuned and super thin. I was not a fan. I'm looking for something more inline with Depeche Mode or similar 80s/90s synthpop artists.

Any help on figuring out where the mix of the vocals is going wrong, and I would be eternally grateful.
    Also, here's a link to the dry vocals (for comparison).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  3. stoiximan

stoiximan Platinum Record

You are trying too hard to be like Depeche Mode in this song.The way you are singing here is way too close to the lead singer of Depeche Mode,i dont think this is your real voice.Start singing with your real voice, dont be afraid its for the better,be you dont be another copycat it wont work.Nothing wrong by learning from the artists you love but you must put your own self in there.Lovely track by the way and i am pretty sure that your real voice is way better.

Some time ago someone said too me the same thing about a track of mine that it reminded him of Depeche Mode.Have a listen

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think it sounds good. it's a lot of New Order guitars and Ian Curtis Joy Division melancholy vocal too. You like She Wants Revenge at all? I hear stuff like that in there, too. I don't really hear the problem here. :)

5. fjodor

fjodor Member

nice vibe! you can send me the instrumental and the dry vocal (no eq and no autotune plz) if you like.

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Some blue notes, timing too often too loose, that's it.
    Everyone who's heavily autotuning or low cutting your vocals is an idiot and should change his hobby.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. clone

clone Audiosexual

might as well add the midi.

8. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Sounds fine to me.
    Timing is an issue.
    Method could be better, gets nasally in places but there is nothing wrong with any of it. There is more push from your voice, this happens when breath control and timing are not yet natural and there is a wiggle between your brain and your vocal chords. Practice, Practice while listening to yourself, it's hard because for the most part most people do not like the way they sound.

Older man, deeper, live, still smooth.

Same man, using higher range, it's more work but it's part of the craft.

Work on the timing, do some doubles maybe push a layer with harmony a little higher up the range and see what you get.

Maybe don't give people a target like Depeche Mode, for which they will try to push your voice higher to get the young DM sound, although the age appropriate sound is bassier and let them figure out the best they can do with what you give them.

You sound great as is, everyone can practice more, in the end it's the only way to get better for 99.99% of us. That 00.01% that sound perfect from the time they are born till they die, haven't met one yet that actually didn't practice or work at it as well.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
  9. reticular

reticular Kapellmeister

I like the track, very musical, i like the vocal too.

On the first listen i feel i would listen the track just byitself, the sound selection is spot on. First thought, vocal not loud enough, i´t sounds honest so i dont feel anything else than i want to hear it better. Yeah, you could hunt it, put some space behind it, beef it up on parallel bus etc..

[​IMG]

:) Make it louder, yeah it is a bit nasal but who cares.

About timing, i hear it but i dont mind, i just hear honest vocal and i am ready to listen.

10. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

Similar to others , I don[t have any problem with the timing but that's not my forte. I'd definately put more expression in the vocals though. I'm not getting much emotion from the voice as is.

11. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

Oops it's disappeared

12. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

Nice demos chosen from DM. First is a fine example of using the voice well with limited range

13. Arlaymusic

Arlaymusic Noisemaker

Hey sorry im late , and i didnt get a chance to listen to ur track . For some reason the link is gone . But you mentioned about watching videos, and i dnt mean to be rude .. but maybe reading some articles or a book in that specific topic your concerned about might help . I watch videos too from time to time .. i usually have articles or books downloaded. And I’ve bought a few books that i can read at home .. N i feel that can be as much effective as watching a video tutorial or even a masterclass (depending on who the author is) .. but maybe that isnt ur thing? If not u can always get the “voice out loud reader “ that reads it to you ( out loud ), sometimes i do that too .. hope this helps.. next time u post something ill try not to be too late as i just joined a few days ago goodluck