New track AI/Motown/Gospel/Rap/Experimental hip-hop/Electronic

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by anonymouse, Dec 22, 2023.

1. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Hey all, new track again.

I wanted to combine hip-hop, rap with some gospel/motown vibe and make it funky. I used AI to invite some extra vocalists, as you can hear at 01:30 where Aretha Franklin was kind enough to join in ;) ! Also, can you spot the Commodores?

As always, please let me know what you think of the mix!

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

what? that's awesome. someone likes eminem. and now it sounds like aretha! and then trent reznor then kicks out her walker.

if I hear that track, i would not suspect any of it of being ai. maybe after many listens. i wouldn't even ask. And it is clean audio but lo-fi too, and "in the room" accurate.

nice track. :wink:

4. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

I wanted to whine a little about the mix, but in fact:
    This track kicks Ass..
    Way to go, Funkadelic on steroids!

5. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

very cool start I luv Sly and the Family Stone.

are you doing this stuff live with real instruments?

daw? love it

6. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Haha, Eminem is definitely something I heard too in my rap (not AI btw). I guess it was Slim Shady time ;) And because of the whole lo-fi tape-saturated piece the Aretha AI worked perfect. The recordings of her I used to train the AI were ofcourse old and saturated, suited perfectly.

Funkadelic on steroids, awesome :) Please do whine! Very interested in your opinion.

Great to hear. It's indeed mostly live with me rapping or singing, my strat, Pbass and Moog Little Phatty. For drums I use Superior Drummer with either midi files or live with my Roland TD9 kit. Whatever works you know.

A lot of improv/first take recordings end up in the final mix. I like that. Gives a sense of live to it in some way. On the other hand, some parts are pretty thoughtout and polished. I like that combination! Raw & polished at the same time I guess..

The part after Aretha you can hear the Moog LP, modulated using Shaperbox. The rest is my Pbass with some synth pedals (Brown Dog Fuzz, Mastotron, MXR BOD / Broughton Synth Voice Deluxe, Smallsound/Bigsound Mini). The quacky intro guitar is played with a strat through a Mu-Tron Micro-Tron IV, you just can't beat that quack! The funky rhythm stereo guitars are double tracked, through a Marshall SV20C amp (sm57 and md421). Vocals are recorded with a Neumann TLM 102 (I love how neutral that mic sounds with me) through a Hairball Rev F and Audioscape Opto LA2A (bass as well). All done in Reaper.