New to Studio One 4 But having an issue with midi learn

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Cornelius Nubston, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Cornelius Nubston

Cornelius Nubston Newbie

So as the title says im having a little issue with midi learn in SO4 my current midi keyboard dosent have a phsyical mod wheel but has a mod wheel buttom but when i am doing midi learns and i press it it also assigns the mod wheel button as the first control knob on my keyboard also now admitted it dosent bother me to much but im wondering why this is happening when in any other day the mod wheel button acts as its own control and dosent consider its self as the first knob on the control surface my midi keyboard is the M-Audio Axiom Air MINI 32 any help would be greatly appreciated

3. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Hi,
    First,do that(you do that only one time,you don't have to do that in your next sessions)[be careful at 2:24,you must chose the option "Button(press/release)" for your mod wheel button which is specific on your M-Audio midi keyboard]:

Then do that to link any parameter on the plugin's gui with one of your knobs:

It's very easy.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Cornelius Nubston

Cornelius Nubston Newbie

yeah my issue is that my mod wheel button when i press it in midi learn also binds as if its the first control knob on my keyboard which only happens in studio one :S even if i set it to button it still acts like its the first knob i tested this by makign it a button and turnign the first knob to 100% and it activates still

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I don't understand,where is the problem if your mod wheel button is the first??Yeah Mod wheel is always CC 01.

And select "Button (press/release)" and not "Button (on/off)",it's important.And if that doesn't work select another option maybe;I haven't the same keyboard as yours so I'm not sure.

BUT if you want to link one of your plugin's parameter with one of your keyboard's knobs(like the guy does in the second video I posted above),use the rotary knobs instead,and not your Mod wheel button.

You can use your Mod wheel button when you select it as a modulation source in your synth plugin (example:modwheel modulates cutoff),otherwise you can't link your modwheel button to a plugin's parameter like the guy does in the second video posted above.

I hope I've been clear.

6. According to the Axiom Air MINI 32 manual you don't have a mod wheel, but you have buttons which generate mod wheel changes at a rate determined by a setting you can make using the musical keybed. That means when you press mod wheel up a series of increasing control messages are sent, similarly when you press mod down decreasing messages get sent, at a rate determined by the controller's settings. This appears to Studio One as if it were being controlled by a knob, and not by a controller being controlled by buttons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Cornelius Nubston

Cornelius Nubston Newbie

okay lets see if i can explain this better i know i dont have a mod wheel but i have a mod wheel button the issue isnt the fact its acting like a knob the fact is i have 8 knobs on my midi keyboard when i click midi learn and press the modwheel button it thinks that the modwheel is actually the first of my 8 knobs and not binding as a seperate midi input which in every other daw it does consider the mod wheel button its own input