New TH-U amp sim user - Question about acoustic guitars

Discussion in 'Software' started by photonic, Nov 24, 2020.

1. photonic

photonic Member

Greetings,

I am quite pleased with the TH-U amp sim for my electrics and really like many of its presets and the UI.

I usually play my acoustics plugged into a Fisherman Loudbox amp with K&K preamp and it sounds great.

What is your advice on how to run my acoustic guitars through TH-U? Straight in with no components chosen doesn't sound so good. There doesn't seem to be a preset for straight acoustic guitar (though there is an electric to acoustic emulator)

How do I get terrific natural acoustic sound if I run my acoustic through TH-U?

Thanks for any advice. I am definitely a newbie at this!, but loving this community.

3. COVID-X

COVID-X Ultrasonic

#metoo!!!!!!

4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Well, add reverb.
    That is your basic "Room" and I think you will be "in it".
    Of course you can add delay, chorus, all that stuff, but usually you don't add amp or cabinet.
    But if you want a certain box sound, feel free.. add distortion, whatever...
    You don't need to use THU for this, but it is handy with familiar tuner and levels,etc.

Main thing, make a send and record the straight guitar signal so that you can change whatever effects you use later on.

5. photonic

photonic Member

Super. Thanks for that. I am beginning to understand about how acoustics are different in this environment. I thought I had to pick an amp etc. Interestingly I found a video done by David Wallimann from 2011 describing how to do it, and yes just use some extra effects if you wish but no amp. I followed his method and it was quite good. Maybe time to now get rid of my acoustic amp?!?!?!

Here is the video:

6. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Besides the eq, because it is based on your pickups and how your di is being picked up, the secret is delay, to be more precise, slap back type of delays, experiment, and see what works in your situation, also, don't forget to eq before amp. :)