New Synthwave Producer looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by iseeghosties, Apr 10, 2022.

1. iseeghosties

iseeghosties Kapellmeister

New song I produced and need some feedback Thanks in advanced :) dream on little dreamer.

3. dia manu

dia manu Producer

1/10

4. iseeghosties

haha I feel that. Thanks for your input!

5. Worn Soles

Worn Soles Ultrasonic

That sparkly bell (?) lead synth sounded harsh on my cheap headphones

6. iseeghosties

So I dont have studio monitors yet sad to say so Im just using the frequencies out of just my laptop im sorry :/ will work on that next time.

7. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

It's all a matter of personal taste... I like your basic pad/chord progression and the drums. I'm not really digging the little off-beat woot woot sound and I agree that that other bell-y sound (Phonec??) that comes in is pretty harsh. But I think the basic idea is pretty cool.

8. iseeghosties

Thank you. Ya like I said earlier I cant really hear how harsh it is until like I guess I go to my car and play it because of the frequencies on my laptop. But now I know in advanced to eq that stuff a bit more. Thanks for the input.

9. Jackhammer

Jackhammer Newbie

Personally, I think it's better to replace the arpeggiator tone

10. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

So first off, I love retro stuff, synthwave, etc.

I always hate being critical, but I think it helps to just be honest.. it is definitely not a track that I cared for at all and wouldn't get another listen. The feedback has been fairly accurate.. that bell thing is pretty screechy when it first plays, then suddenly gets quiet a few moments later. The "woot woot sound" Trurl mentioned just doesn't sound good. And the warp effect is definitely overused in this. That's the bad news.

The good news though is I did poke around at some of your other tracks, and you've got some much better stuff in the vault! Several songs in there that were a lot better than this track, and worth a listen. So keep at it, and definitely don't be discouraged. Seems based on your response to "1/10" you don't take criticism to heart, at least! haha

11. iseeghosties

Well thank you for giving it a listen to. and ya I think I probably just over did it with this song. At least thats what the feedback is looking like. I truly appreciate the feedback. It helps alot. I just started producing like 5 days ago lol. Soooo I just need to work somethings out and practice I guess more. Thank you again kindly. :)

12. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

My cat started meowing when I played the track. Usually that's not a good sign.
    More constructive critique would be: that warping theme, could sound nice if it would sit much lower in the mix and not all the time.
    I listened to a lot of synthwave back in the day, it could have themes like your track combined with a different lead and vocals.
    (it turned out my cat just wanted food, he's still meowing).

13. waverider

waverider Rock Star

I personally enjoyed it although to be honest except for maybe the drums, this doesn't even sound like Synthwave to me, it's something else. There's not much going on arrangement-wise, there's not much progression or development of ideas which would be capturing the attention of the listener. Check out some of the available Synthwave tutorials out there, perhaps that might help in getting a feel for the kind of sound of the genre.

14. iseeghosties

haha I love cats! and thank you very much for the feedback I will keep that in mind when I post my next track

15. dia manu

dia manu Producer

ohhh

i felt t h a t :)

16. dia manu

dia manu Producer

listen to early the midnight, i think theyre the peak back then of a movement im very fond of and spend a lot of money buying lps and supporting, this... doesnt sound like synthwave, theres no stabs at nostalgia, just randomly thrown in samples, no melody (80s?), no ... song?

17. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Bro that's what I kinda implied in my post, isn't it?

18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

First of all, I think it's great that you make music.

The base drum is the beat generator, but you can replace the base drum for example with another instrument like congas (see Video Links) for example (be inspired). It doesn't sound like a million other songs.

You left out the base drum pretty much at the end, but I would leave it out 2 times and at regular intervals ! So I would insert 2 pauses so you interrupt the monotony.

Listen to samba from Brazil and see what instruments are used there. The base drum sounds very monotonous and boring. Diene instrument sound partly something weird, I've noticed the new weird already with the younger generation. May be the weird belongs to your generation, for me it sounds very unharmonious.

Examples of song structures: parts of a pop song.

The most common structure of a pop song is: Intro - verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - chorus - end.
    The simplest and most synthetic version: Verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - chorus - chorus - end.

Samba De Janeiro Percussion Remix

Samba Percussion

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  19. dia manu

dia manu Producer

your post was very accurate and under further inspection should have ended this thread, since any addition to it would not be in the interest of anyone, ever, in the history of music and the internet.

20. Krypton85

Krypton85 Ultrasonic

Hmmm. Most things that I would mention were already mentioned but what drives me really nuts is that "capstan wow and flutter" effect you put on the bell arp. I can totally understand that people want to give a certain sound that little roughness or analogue imperfect feel, but this is waaaay to much in my opinion. This thing wobbles the shit out of itself. I think less wobble would be more effective because in the end it's exactly about what you do not hear than what you do hear! Otherwise nice attempt. Keep up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List