New Steinberg UR22mkII revealed

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Guillermo Navarrete, Nov 2, 2015.

1. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Wow, interesting thread. I've always been under the assumption that a MONO switch on the front of most units serves for monitoring the LINE OUTS in mono, so you can check your mix in mono (e.g. Dangerous Music, Radial MC-3, most monitor controllers). CH1 and CH 2 should both be mono inputs (and show in the bundled mixer software as such as well as DAW), and together, are stereo input. btw, the optimal sampling frequency is around 62 KHz or so........not 88.2, 96, 192. 44.1 is just fine, but I've always opted for 48.

I have a solution. Check out the Audient id14 or id22. The AD conversion is out of this world for the price point. The "chip" technology is so good now, old Apogee (etc..) converters are losing their value. But, get an interface with room to grow. Get more outputs and inputs that you need (for mixing with outboard line-level gear or high impedance pedals etc..), and make sure you've got ADAT optical and coax spdif for pristine signals, and/or ADDA upgrade in the future. Midi connectivity isn't a big deal, because you can add that type of connectivity pretty cheaply.

I will say that Steinberg has great ASIO drivers (for obvious reasons), but that ASIO driver that the PC architecture relies on for low latency audio is very important if you use VSTi etc.. So, the company needs to know what they're doing in that department, and their on going support needs to be there......look at RME. Event used to be great in that dept.

Sorry, got off topic.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  2. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

well you are getting to the crux here.. and there was another thread where the UR22 was extensively discussed as a budget interface... which it is..you can get them for as low as $139 USD.

the crux...as it were ..( and Best Regards GN is totally skirting any comment on this ) is that simple hardware modifications could have been made that would have made this unit actually worth paying extra for ( $149 vs $173 ), ESPECIALLY the gain knob issue...this is the fundamental flaw in this device..and it's quite a shame that a company as well known and respected as Steinberg does not respect it's customers enough to address such obvious and glaring issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
  3. Guillermo Navarrete

Guillermo Navarrete Kapellmeister

Hello,

I can say the same about your posts, not true! Depending on where you search, in Thomann the Tascam is 133€ and the UR22 116€

http://www.thomann.de/de/tascam_us_2x2.htm
    http://www.thomann.de/de/steinberg_ur22.htm

The UR22 does not have a power switch because it is USB powered!!!
    Anyway if you need an interface with a mono switch then you are right, you should look somewhere else.

Best regards,
    GN

4. statik

statik Audiosexual

i dont think i've ever seen a product being defended in such an unprofessional way, unless you're not working for steinberg ofcourse but something is telling me you are, not sure what but something is def telling me this... XD

5. Boujwa

Boujwa Ultrasonic

I have a question for you. how do you compare motu 828 hybrid with Steinberg UR28M? thanks in advance for your reply.

6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

NO idea.. Ive never had a Motu.. sorry.

7. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

"and beats the pants off my Ex Saffire Pro 24 DSP." What exactly you mean by this? And how you compare sound quality between this two? Thanks